Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: gotanikon on December 17, 2015, 04:10:08 am
-
Hi Guys,
I have just become the proud (and now anxious) owner of an Epson 9070. Before I do anything with it I am hoping someone would have advice on moving the printer about.
The problem is that the printer was tilted on its end by the installers to fit it through a doorway, but the Epson instructions are not to tilt the printer (at least not with ink I believe). So what happens in 6 months or a years time when I need the monster back out of the room? Cut a hole in the wall? Wish I could! I'm not sure if there is a way to drain the ink, and what a horrible waste :(. I thought it may be possible to use cleaning cartridges so any leak is non messy and non fatal to sensitive components or the flooring.
Does anyone have any informed ideas they can share on this situation?
I have attached a picture for your amusement (but it makes me want to cry :) ). The picture shows the closest I can get to the printer getting out of the room and into a hallway.
Thanks, John.
-
Never done it with an Epson but I stood an HPz3100 on end to get in a lift and I'd suggest you definitely allow half a day or so for dismantling - either before you move it (recommended) or after to clean up the mess (the way I did it - not so good).
William.
-
Hi William,
That doesn't sound like fun, was there any damage? Where abouts did the z3100 leak from leak from?
...Does anyone else have any suggestions or ideas on this?
John
-
You might be able to have a competent carpenter take the molding off the door frame, which might privode enough leeway, and then put it back.
-
and try to get a read from Epson Tech to see just how level the thing has to be to avoid a mess.
Piano riggers?
-
Where abouts did the z3100 leak from leak from?
The waste tank under the service station. The printer was pretty well used before I moved it and although there are sponges in the bottom of the tank there was enough sludge to slop out into the right side cover. No damage, just a mess. As far as I can remember I didn't remove any of the heads or cartridges.
William.
-
I can imagine the maintenance cartridge could be a problem if it's not empty, there is actually a warning label on mine. I assume there would be a risk of leak from the cartridge area too given a large amount of tilting.
I have been checking service manuals and it seems that there is a way to discharge the ink but I'm unsure if that means replacing it with cleaning fluid or emptying it, and it seems to need special cartridges.
Anyway to avoid all this hassle, I have decided (negotiated) I will move the printer to another room (wife not so happy). I't a huge lug of a thing to move (200kg) but I'd rather do that now and re-organise the place than have major printer problem later.
I considered the door frame could be removed, it might give enough space but I think there'd be a high chance it still wouldn't fit and I'd probably damage the plaster and wood in the meantime (I've removed a few frames before and there's always something to repair later no matter how careful you are).
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm still interested to hear other peoples thoughts on it though.
John.