Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: MattBurt on December 15, 2015, 12:20:18 pm

Title: Birthday portrait
Post by: MattBurt on December 15, 2015, 12:20:18 pm
This was a quickly set up session with my wife who turned 45 that day. We took half a dozen or so shots in my home studio which is pretty minimal (couple of speedlights and a curtain).
I liked the expression in this one but I'm pretty biased with my feelings about this particular model. :)
Thoughts?
P645D & 80-160/4.5
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/726/23063758673_3bee4a49cd_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/B94MVB)IMGP0602 (https://flic.kr/p/B94MVB) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Birthday portrait
Post by: Chairman Bill on December 15, 2015, 12:24:11 pm
I spotted your fat-fingered typo there. Forty five. She's gonna hate you for adding on that extra decade
Title: Re: Birthday portrait
Post by: MattBurt on December 15, 2015, 12:27:54 pm
I spotted your fat-fingered typo there. Forty five. She's gonna hate you for adding on that extra decade

I had to re-read it a few times because I'm typing with one arm in a sling from breaking my collarbone on Sunday, but that age is correct!
:)
She's not ashamed of her age! I tell her she should be proud of it!
Title: Re: Birthday portrait
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 15, 2015, 01:17:02 pm
I think she's a bit biased about you, too, Matt.
Nice portrait.
Title: Re: Birthday portrait
Post by: brandtb on December 15, 2015, 04:15:13 pm
Matt - initial thoughts are the hair light/backlight is so hot it's very distracting and really detracts from "the face" -  even more so because it looks like there is no "key light" left even though there is...leaving her face a little flat lit. You could brush in a little exposure on right side of her face maybe...and clone out that tiny white hot spot on her nose...these things might help a bit /B
Title: Re: Birthday portrait
Post by: MattBurt on December 15, 2015, 05:57:02 pm
Matt - initial thoughts are the hair light/backlight is so hot it's very distracting and really detracts from "the face" -  even more so because it looks like there is no "key light" left even though there is...leaving her face a little flat lit. You could brush in a little exposure on right side of her face maybe...and clone out that tiny white hot spot on her nose...these things might help a bit /B

Thanks, I agree on all points. I was a little sloppy with my setup as we were a little tipsy.  :P
Title: Re: Birthday portrait
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on December 15, 2015, 09:07:33 pm
I liked the expression in this one but I'm pretty biased with my feelings about this particular model. :)
Thoughts?
I think that your bias is pretty evident in the shot and that this is a good thing.
What I mean is that the portrait is very intimate: she's not "overposed", she looks both a little shy and yet enjoying flattered by being photographed and her eyes say that the flattering comes from the relation with the photographer.

Looking at the photo gives me the same feeling that I have looking two lovers holding hands and smiling to each other while walking.