Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Jens Peermann on December 15, 2015, 08:14:00 am

Title: Virgin Sand
Post by: Jens Peermann on December 15, 2015, 08:14:00 am
The Mesquite Sand Dunes in Death Valley, shortly before the Labor Day crowds arrived. This is the cleanest I've ever seen that sand.

A7, EF 135/2 @ f/8, Metabones IV
Title: Re: Virgin Sand
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 15, 2015, 09:08:57 am
Very nice combination of lines, shapes and forms, coupled with a nice color contrast. If anything, perhaps a bit oversaturated? I can almost feel that quiet, gentle moment, and I think that a more pastel tonality would further contribute to it.
Title: Re: Virgin Sand
Post by: Patricia Sheley on December 15, 2015, 10:16:59 am
While I largely agree with that impression Slobodan as you direct attention to the saturation, I spent some time a few evenings ago working through Jens' larger body of work, and the particular use seems very quickly to become a unifying hallmark of how he "sees". I don't know, it is not saturation for saturation's sake, but a very clean use of recording a scene in large blocks of color and tone that is consistent to the way he works...as opposed to random saturation creating cacophony in any and all detail... just my thoughts along this line though.

And lovely and soothing Jens.
Title: Re: Virgin Sand
Post by: thierrylegros396 on December 15, 2015, 12:00:18 pm
Fantastic composition!

To my taste it is oversaturated.

For the dunes, it's not a problem, but the sky becomes unrealistic.

From your other photos, I know you like saturation and it's a matter of taste, it's your interpretation ;)

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry
Title: Re: Virgin Sand
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 15, 2015, 01:13:41 pm
Fantastic composition!

To my taste it is oversaturated.

For the dunes, it's not a problem, but the sky becomes unrealistic.

From your other photos, I know you like saturation and it's a matter of taste, it's your interpretation ;)

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry
+1.
Title: Re: Virgin Sand
Post by: churly on December 15, 2015, 06:41:52 pm
The lines are fantastic.  They literally grab you and pull you in.  It is over saturated for my taste but I tend to push back the saturation on almost everything.  Just a choice of style.
Chuck
Title: Re: Virgin Sand
Post by: sdwilsonsct on December 15, 2015, 09:49:03 pm
Very good. The blue seems strong to me but Jeremy among others feels that it is realistic.
Title: Re: Virgin Sand
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 16, 2015, 03:33:37 am
Very good. The blue seems strong to me but Jeremy among others feels that it is realistic.

It's an excellent shot but I (as a Jeremy) am not convinced by the blueness.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Virgin Sand
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on December 16, 2015, 04:17:13 am
I like it as it is. The strong blues and yellows combine well.
Title: Re: Virgin Sand
Post by: Bob_B on December 16, 2015, 09:26:53 am
I agree with Paulo: strong complementary colors plus strong lines make this shot (IMHO).
Title: Re: Virgin Sand
Post by: francois on December 16, 2015, 09:33:30 am
I also like the combination of blues and oranges/yellows but reducing blue saturation also gives a very nice image.
Title: Re: Virgin Sand
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 16, 2015, 12:36:32 pm
It's an excellent shot but I (as a Jeremy) am not convinced by the blueness.

Jeremy
I am not a Jeremy, and I don't play one on TV. But I agree with this Jeremy.

Eric
Title: Re: Virgin Sand
Post by: Jens Peermann on December 16, 2015, 09:42:02 pm
Thanks to everybody who commented on my picture. I can honestly say that I enjoyed each and every comment because of the author's level of expertise it reveals, something I miss on other forums.

I expected the strong blue to receive both criticism and sympathy, just as it actually happened. It proofs to me that it would be foolish to take only pictures in a way that guarantees acceptance and avoid the renditions that may be rejected. Instead we should always take the picture that we like, and then respect the criticism and enjoy the sympathy.

I initially removed the blue cast to have the BG mountains as natural as possible and they looked repelling. Natural, but repelling. So I decided to move in the opposite direction and liked what I saw, an image full of contrasts. Besides the luminosity contrast that nicely shows the ripples in the sand, there's also contrast between the soft curves of the sand and the rugged mountains in the distance, as well as the contrast between the cold blue and the warm brown of the sand. The  fading sliver of bright white behind the mountains ads a touch of "out-of-this-world".

A special thank you to Patricia who took the time to go through some more of my pictures and analyze them. She correctly concludes that using strong colors is quite typical for me. Color contrast is a tool that I like to use for various effects. In the image here the strong blue does initially attract attention, but it also obscures detail in the distant mountains and thus directs the viewer's eye back to the subject.

However, calling the use of strong colors a hallmark of how I see things is not quite correct. I have a good number of images in my catalog that are outright meek in the color department. I will soon post an image of a windmill that is pale compared to the image here, and for a good reason: the scene required it.

Thanks,
Jens