Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Herbc on December 14, 2015, 10:21:16 pm

Title: Heavy lens on D750
Post by: Herbc on December 14, 2015, 10:21:16 pm
I am trying out a Nikon D750 with one of my many Nikon mount lenses, a 135 De Focus.  It seems pretty heavy to hang off the front of the camera, but there does not seem to be anywhere I can put a ring/foot device over it without getting in the way of the focusing etc.
Is there a V shape support for such?  The last thing I want to do is weaken the lens mount on the camera. 8)
Title: Re: Heavy lens on D750
Post by: AlterEgo on December 15, 2015, 12:09:34 am
I am trying out a Nikon D750 with one of my many Nikon mount lenses, a 135 De Focus.  It seems pretty heavy to hang off the front of the camera, but there does not seem to be anywhere I can put a ring/foot device over it without getting in the way of the focusing etc.
Is there a V shape support for such?  The last thing I want to do is weaken the lens mount on the camera. 8)

135/2 D weight is less than 28-70/2.8 and I did not see people worrying about that zoom
Title: Re: Heavy lens on D750
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on December 15, 2015, 08:11:56 am
135/2 D weight is less than 28-70/2.8 and I did not see people worrying about that zoom

Not worry for reasons of long term wear/damage to the body mount, but there is also the issue of vibration on a tripod. With the center of gravity quite a bit off-axis, it could help to re-position camera plus lens.

RRS has a solution for longer lenses (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Quick-Release/Multi-Purpose-Rails-Packages/Long-Lens-Support-Packages), which might also help in this case.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Heavy lens on D750
Post by: Herbc on December 15, 2015, 10:36:30 am
I did look on B&H, they have some stuff which requires a fairly elaborate setup, with an extra set of rods that is mounted on the tripod head, and then several suppliers have v type supports.

I will give it a go on a tripod and see what transpires.
Title: Re: Heavy lens on D750
Post by: NancyP on December 16, 2015, 10:27:52 am
How do you like the DC lens?