Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Wayne Fox on December 12, 2015, 08:47:30 pm
-
This is an old problem on Mac OS, but I still cannot believe that the LR developers can't figure out how to make sure LR always launches the copy of photoshop that resides the default system application folder (the same folder where the LR application resides). It seems it will always find any copy of photoshop out there OTHER than the default one to launch.
It can't be that hard ...
-
Sounds like the Lr preferences file got hosed.
Quit Lr and restart Lr while holding Shift-Option-Delete and it will create a new preferences file after prompting you.
There are many things you'd think Adobe could do to avoid these kind of issues but..... they're a small company and evidently these issues are not high on their priority list.
I used to have to reset PS prefs periodically as well.
-
After going through a period where Lr screwed this stuff up frequently I installed TPG LR Backup. Since I use a lot of preset and plugins this saved me a lot of time reconstructing humpty dumpty when he fell off the wall.
http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/mdawson/tpglrbackup/
-
Same problem here. Very annoying.
Why can't Adobe just give us the option of specifying the file path to the Photoshop app that we want to use in Lightroom preferences?
-
I'm still waiting for Adobe to focus a release or two on stability and performance. New features are nice but not when the app is flaky. Perhaps we need to make this clear to Adobe.
-
I have the same Problem with Lightroom CC that the wrong catalogue gets opened.
Sue
-
I have the same Problem with Lightroom CC that the wrong catalogue gets opened.
That's a different problem. Open the correct catalogue, then go to Preferences, Default Catalog and choose the appropriate option.
-
Hi John
In reponse to your reply I re- set the options to open the the first Lightroom Catalogue which is the only one that I have set up - I have neve rever in practice opened up 2 Catalogues.
So far Lightroom CC is behaving itself buy opening the correct Catalogue when I open the latest Lightroom CC which is on my dock ( Mac).
However, which happened previously when I endeavoured to import these photos the incorrect Lightroom opened up and not the latest Lightroom CC catalogue. Not realising this I imported these Venice/Belgium photos into the incorrect catalogue
This time I thought I would therefore via card reader import the same Venice/Blegium photos into the latest Lightroom CC when Lightroom CC ( Latest) was opened.
I could see by doing this the photos would not be imported into the incorrect Catalogue which I did not originally set up as mentioned previously.
After ticking the photos I wanted to import I realised/remembered that these photos were already imported - though to the incorrect catalogue.
I immediately stopped the import as I did not want duplicate of these photos into my Lightroom picture folder - thus taking up more space on my HD, as well as confusing me.
My question what should I do next? What is easiest. simplest? That is, to either delete the catalogue I do not want or move the (Venice/Belguim) photos to the catalogue I set up not what Adobe keeps on opening when importing photos.
Looking forward to hearing from you
Sue
-
However, which happened previously when I endeavoured to import these photos the incorrect Lightroom opened up and not the latest Lightroom CC catalogue. Not realising this I imported these Venice/Belgium photos into the incorrect catalogue.
Have you more than one version of Lightroom installed? It sounds like the earlier version is being launched when the card is attached and Lightroom isn't already opened.
-
In response I checked my Applications folder and there seems to be 2 Lightroom versions within the Applications
see attachment.
I will be sending the 2nd attachment in my following post as each attachment exceed the size allowed for attachments
Not sure how to deal with it though?
Sue
-
Further to my last post re 2 versions of Lightroom
Here is the 2nd email to attach the screen shot showing the 2nd version of Lightroom
Sue
-
I refer to my about post and was wandering if anybody can anybody assist me in this regard?
Sue
-
I refer to my about post and was wandering if anybody can anybody assist me in this regard?
As you can see from both the icons and the text, the first one you have found is a folder and the second is an application. The application is LR5. The folder may well contain LR v6; it's impossible to tell from what you've posted but it's the same size as the folder which contains LR6 in my own Applications folder..
Jeremy
-
I have had another look the one which you say is a folder - says size is 1.63 GB on disk
The 2nd says 1.28 GB on disk - also says version Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7..Other than that I am unable to see any other information. This does not make sense as I have previously downloaded the latest being Lightroom 6.3 on the 27th November
What do I next next?
Sue
-
I have had another look the one which you say is a folder - says size is 1.63 GB on disk
The 2nd says 1.28 GB on disk - also says version Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7..Other than that I am unable to see any other information. This does not make sense as I have previously downloaded the latest being Lightroom 6.3 on the 27th November
What do I next next?
Sue
Lightroom 6.3 is a different version than 5.7 and they can both be installed on your computer. Upgrading to Lightroom 6 from LR 5 will not overwrite or uninstall the older version.
Check in your Applications folder and you can see what versions are currently installed, See the screen capture.
-
I have had another look the one which you say is a folder - says size is 1.63 GB on disk
The 2nd says 1.28 GB on disk - also says version Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7..Other than that I am unable to see any other information. This does not make sense as I have previously downloaded the latest being Lightroom 6.3 on the 27th November
What do I next next?
Open the folder and see what's inside it? I suspect you will find LR6.x
Jeremy
-
Hi Jeremy
Yes you are correct I found Lightroom CC 6.3 when opening the folder.
The next issues to overcome are
1. Why Lightroom 5.7 opens when I download photos from my card reader instead of Lightroom CC 6.3?
2. Also How to move the Venice/Belgium photos from Lightroom 5.7 to Lightroom CC 6.3?
Can you assist with this?
Sue
-
1. Why Lightroom 5.7 opens when I download photos from my card reader instead of Lightroom CC 6.3?
Most likely because LR5's Preferences is set to "Show Import when a memory card is detected" or your OS's Auto-Play (Mac equivalent) is set to launch LR5, while the same is not true of LR6.
2. Also How to move the Venice/Belgium photos from Lightroom 5.7 to Lightroom CC 6.3?
If you want to retain LR5 on your computer, open it and in Library select the Venice/Belgium folder. Then under File select "Export as catalog", putting the exported catalog in a convenient place. Close LR5 and open LR6 and select "Import from catalog", selecting the catalog exported from LR5. Delete the exported catalog after it has been successfully imported to LR6.
However, I can see little reason to retain LR5 if LR6 is working well. I would backup the LR5 catalog and then import the entire LR5 catalog (Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat) to LR6. Once you are satisfied that the entire catalog has been imported properly, you can uninstall LR5 (that will also solve the memory card problem) - but keep a record of your registration number and keep that backup copy of the catalog, if you think you might want to reinstall it in the future.
-
Hi Jeremy
Yes you are correct I found Lightroom CC 6.3 when opening the folder.
The next issues to overcome are
1. Why Lightroom 5.7 opens when I download photos from my card reader instead of Lightroom CC 6.3?
2. Also How to move the Venice/Belgium photos from Lightroom 5.7 to Lightroom CC 6.3?
Can you assist with this?
Sue
The "export as catalogue" method which elied suggested should do it. Be careful with the settings as you do it, though, to make sure that your originals end up in the right place.
As to persuading LR5 not to open, the easiest way is to delete it, keeping a backup somewhere if you're nervous (I'm not sure that there's any reason for you to be). An alternative is this: with a card in your reader, open Image Capture (it'll be in your Applications folder), then select the reader in the devices list on the left and use the popup at the bottom of that column to configure "none" or LR6 to be opened when you insert a card.
I don't know how the "open import dialog" in LR and the Image Capture settings interact, I confess. It's been a very long time since I switched them all off.
Jeremy
-
I will give this a try soon as suggested
Now how to get the Photos from Venice and Belgium that I inadvertently imported into Lightroom 5.7 library to move into the library folder of Lightroom CC.6.3 instead . I am aware it is useless to upload them again via my card reader as I am doubling up the photos into my Mac's Picture folder?
sue
-
Sue, I think you have a basic misunderstanding of what LR does. Photo files (Raws, tiffs, jpgs, etc.) are not "in" Lightroom. LR is basically a large indexed text file, a 'database' although LR prefers to call it a catalog. The database is first of all a list of all the photos you have imported and secondly additional notes about where they are located in the computer, about what edits you want done when the image is exported into a new photo file, about what tags and keywords you want to have associated with it, about what collections it belongs to, and similar bits of information. But all this is just information about the photo file (metadata); it is not the photo itself, which sits quite independently of LR somewhere else in the computer or on an external drive connected to the computer. And the original photo file is never changed by LR, for display on your monitor LR makes its own preview images.
So you could have references to the same photo in two different catalogs and you would have double catalogs and double previews but still one photo file. It should never be necessary to import an image more than once. Remove the references from one of the catalogs or delete the whole catalog and there are no more doubles.
The process I outlined above, export as catalog/import from catalog, copies all the references to Venice-Belgium from the LR5 catalog to the LR6 catalog so that the LR6 catalog will have the same information about the same photos - wherever they may be.
-
the database used by LR is a true database (see www.sqlite.org), not an indexed text file.
I haven't read the whole thread but as noted, the files/photos do NOT exist in the database, only 'metadata' (information about the photos) does. So, you can either export as a catalog the desired photos from LR5 and import into 6 or if you have a LR6 database that is separate from the LR5, just re-import them into LR6 (assuming you've made no changes to the images in LR5 (keywords, tags, develop, etc)
-
the database used by LR is a true database (see www.sqlite.org), not an indexed text file.
Granted I oversimplified the explanation, but for a poster who seems to be a bit less than total LR whiz I thought it justified.
-
I appreciate your remarks.
I am going away for a week and when I return I will endeavour to carry out next step as you have suggested.
Sue
-
Just a thought.
Is it possible to copy the Venice Belgium Photos from Lightroom 5.7 to Lightroom CC?
Sue