Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Patricia Sheley on December 11, 2015, 11:02:19 am

Title: Conservationist Douglas Tompkins dies in Chile
Post by: Patricia Sheley on December 11, 2015, 11:02:19 am
 http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35048095
When the news came on Tuesday, all I could think was while Nature is fragile, those who work to protect it are themselves so.

Carrera Lake can behave like the sea; on this day it did. 
Title: Re: Conservationist Douglas Tompkins dies in Chile
Post by: Otto Phocus on December 11, 2015, 11:15:39 am
Nature does not care if you are a billionaire.  Nature is cruel and impartial.

I just hope that he did not suffer too much, but I fear that he did.

:(
Title: Re: Conservationist Douglas Tompkins dies in Chile
Post by: Patricia Sheley on December 11, 2015, 11:25:37 am
...yes, that is so, and why I personally regarded him highly. Schooling in a country school just up the road, and off to adventures (he worked for), made it big, then walked away having the clear sense he was making perverse income on things "people didn't need". He placed his funds where they could protect the future of many in an area ripe for the raping by the logging industry and fish farms. Like anyone with clear understanding of the interconnectedness of life going forward he was controversial...but well worth getting to know something of his story. [speaking only for myself of course]