Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on December 07, 2015, 08:02:05 pm

Title: Rock Creek in late fall
Post by: Bob_B on December 07, 2015, 08:02:05 pm
I spent the better part of Sunday on the shores of Rock Creek, a tributary to Chesapeake Bay on its western shore just south of Baltimore City. The day was cloudy, gray, and gloomy. In large measure, I was out to experiment with long exposures and b/w processing. I think the following four photos capture the day rather well, but would greatly appreciate your thoughts good or bad on any or all of these images. As always, thank you for viewing and commenting.

    Bob
Title: Re: Rock Creek in late fall
Post by: thierrylegros396 on December 08, 2015, 04:31:34 am
I prefer the 2nd, but it's personal taste.

Thierry
Title: Re: Rock Creek in late fall
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 08, 2015, 09:11:53 am
II prefer the second also. I think the white plumes from the smokestacks are needed to show that the sky really is that gray. In the others it looks as if maybe the processing was just too much on the dark side, even if it is actually realistic.
Title: Re: Rock Creek in late fall
Post by: Bob_B on December 08, 2015, 09:38:41 am
Thierry/Eric: I appreciate your replies. Re: processing... I didn't think so until viewing the thumbnails on LuLa. Now, I agree. (Interesting how a thumbnail can sometimes point out things the full-size image doesn't easily reveal.) Again, thanks!
Title: Re: Rock Creek in late fall
Post by: sdwilsonsct on December 08, 2015, 10:06:46 am
Nice to see someone experimenting and stretching, Bob. I might have left off the foregrounds. The distant objects and smoke would sit nicely above an empty river.
Title: Re: Rock Creek in late fall
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on December 08, 2015, 01:50:45 pm
I agree with Scott's remarks. The slightly blurry branches (probably wind?) detract somewhat.
Title: Re: Rock Creek in late fall
Post by: James Clark on December 08, 2015, 07:50:52 pm
I'm going to disagree.  For me, the foregrounds are what set these images apart from the ordinary.  I quite like #4, but I think the vignetting is a bit heavy...
Title: Re: Rock Creek in late fall
Post by: Bob_B on December 08, 2015, 08:16:19 pm
I'm going to disagree.  For me, the foregrounds are what set these images apart from the ordinary.  I quite like #4, but I think the vignetting is a bit heavy...

James, I totally agree about the vignetting on #4. It wasn't evident to me until I saw the thumbnail on LuLa. Man, that's bad. It looks like a spotlight. I'll correct it on my original. Thanks for pointing it out. - Bob
Title: Re: Rock Creek in late fall
Post by: Bob_B on December 08, 2015, 08:18:54 pm
Here are two more for your thoughts. Much earlier in the afternoon, with somewhat better light. I think they're better in color. What's your opinion?
Title: Re: Rock Creek in late fall
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on December 09, 2015, 06:05:54 am
My favourite is #4, as it has a cleaner composition. Fewer elements works better I think. I like the way the wave of the bridge links up with the wave from the top of the plants.

The movement in the plants nicely the required dynamics to the image.
Title: Re: Rock Creek in late fall
Post by: marcgoldring on December 09, 2015, 12:14:04 pm
Here are two more for your thoughts. Much earlier in the afternoon, with somewhat better light. I think they're better in color. What's your opinion?

I like these and the color is a big plus for me. I like the play of the sculptural shape of the tree and the water with the far shore and chimneys and all… These seem more interesting and engaging to me than the earlier ones, more to look at.

Marco