Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: zobeleye on December 07, 2015, 11:44:11 am

Title: LR not showing actual filesize
Post by: zobeleye on December 07, 2015, 11:44:11 am
this may have been answered somewhere, but I could not find anything on that topic...

why is it that LR does not show correct filesizes in the infodisplay, when i press <i> ?
dngs are 77mb, LR shows 55
tifs from those are 200something, LR says 88.

anybody?
cheers
Z
Title: Re: LR not showing actual filesize
Post by: rdonson on December 07, 2015, 12:43:11 pm
Z, what version of Lr are you running?

I'm running Lr CC 2015.3 and I don't see a way to have Lr display file size that would be shown by Pressing <i>
Title: Re: LR not showing actual filesize
Post by: digitaldog on December 07, 2015, 12:51:36 pm
All I see is either cropped dimensions or megapixels. DNG's are shown in pixel dimensions.
Much like Photoshop, there's no 'accurate' way to provide the size (what if the rendered images have layers, compression for TIFF etc).
Title: Re: LR not showing actual filesize
Post by: citro on December 08, 2015, 11:19:32 am
The only way I know: Metadata panel in Library, select Exif and IPTC - you get File Size.
Title: Re: LR not showing actual filesize
Post by: aduke on December 08, 2015, 12:08:39 pm
The only way I know: Metadata panel in Library, select Exif and IPTC - you get File Size.

And if you compare the value from that path with the value from using, in Windows, Explorer, you see two different values.

The reason for the difference is that the smaller one is the number of kilobytes, the larger value is the number of bytes divided by 1024.

Alan




Alan
Title: Re: LR not showing actual filesize
Post by: TonyW on December 08, 2015, 02:07:48 pm
why is it that LR does not show correct filesizes in the infodisplay, when i press <i> ?
dngs are 77mb, LR shows 55
tifs from those are 200something, LR says 88.
...
I think I have seen what you are describing in LR v5.7.

For instance starting with a NEF reported as 41.2 MB in Windows Explorer and comparing to LR info after pressing 'i' twice the LR result shows 36.2 MB (as shown below).

Exporting this file as TIFF produces a file size 206 MB reported by Windows. 
Importing the file back into LR reports the 36.2 MB as shown for the original NEF. 

Exporting as DNG gives a file size report of 146 MB (Windows) but 36.2 MB again after import to LR

Don't really know why I included the LR screenshot as regardless of file type the original LR file size 36.2 MB is always reported and Windows always disagrees as in this case reporting 41.2 MB

TBH it does not really bother me (Windows accurate - I believe) but it does appear to be curious behaviour

EDIT: LR Metadata panel does show correct size as already stated
Title: Re: LR not showing actual filesize
Post by: citro on December 08, 2015, 03:54:42 pm
Dude, the screenshot shows MP (as in MegaPixels) not MB (MegaBytes).
Chill.
Title: Re: LR not showing actual filesize
Post by: TonyW on December 08, 2015, 04:34:28 pm
 ;D :-[ I know that just testing.  Although I have seen erroneous file size reported in the past it was obviously not with LR. Seriously I should have worn my glasses ;D
Title: Re: LR not showing actual filesize
Post by: zobeleye on December 12, 2015, 10:34:31 am
AAH, that is MP not MB, got ya...
sorry for the confusion
Z