Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Bob_B on December 07, 2015, 09:34:17 am

Title: Recommendations for glove-mitts for cold weather photography?
Post by: Bob_B on December 07, 2015, 09:34:17 am
I spent three hours photographing yesterday on the banks of Chesapeake Bay, and quickly realized that I need to invest in a good pair of gloves/glovmitts (whatever) that will both keep my fingers warm and at the same time allow me to work effectively with my camera, lenses, and filters.

I'd greatly appreciate recommendations. Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Cheers,

     Bob
Title: Re: Recommendations for glove-mitts for cold weather photography?
Post by: petermfiore on December 07, 2015, 09:49:43 am
Bob,

I wear a fleece mitten that allows access to my fingers by folding back the finger flap. In addition I also wear a pair of silk glove liners beneath the mitten so my fingers are never exposed to the weather...Many brands and the degree of warmth necessary for an individual's needs. A web search should turn up several choices.

Peter
Title: Re: Recommendations for glove-mitts for cold weather photography?
Post by: Colorado David on December 07, 2015, 10:27:46 am
I wear merino wool glove liners. They keep my hands warm and still allow fine work. Keep your hands in your pockets or inside mittens when not shooting. My feet get colder than my hands when stationary in the cold for very long. I've tried a lot of different boot/socks combinations. I've used the chemical hand warmer packs in my pockets and socks before.
Title: Re: Recommendations for glove-mitts for cold weather photography?
Post by: Bob_B on December 07, 2015, 10:37:14 am
Thanks Peter and David for your suggestions about liners. I've never used them, but they certainly sound like they're worth an investment.
Title: Re: Recommendations for glove-mitts for cold weather photography?
Post by: Santiego on December 09, 2015, 04:54:07 pm
I spent three hours photographing yesterday on the banks of Chesapeake Bay, and quickly realized that I need to invest in a good pair of gloves/glovmitts (whatever) that will both keep my fingers warm and at the same time allow me to work effectively with my camera, lenses, and filters.

I'd greatly appreciate recommendations. Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Cheers,

     Bob
I like the Heat 3 Smart Gloves from The Heat Company

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Recommendations for glove-mitts for cold weather photography?
Post by: pcgpcg on December 09, 2015, 07:07:03 pm
I've used the chemical hand warmer packs in my pockets and socks before.
I routinely use the chemical hand warmers (Costco) both in my mitts and in my camera bag. Keeping the camera and lenses warm prevents fogging when you take them out in the cold.
I also finally broke down a few years ago and got battery-powered heaters for my boots and they are the bomb if you are working for no more than a few hours.
Title: Re: Recommendations for glove-mitts for cold weather photography?
Post by: jamesaz on December 13, 2015, 02:10:34 am
I've used thin leather gloves lined with thinsulate. Also trigger finger mittens, probably available online or Cabelas



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Recommendations for glove-mitts for cold weather photography?
Post by: NancyP on December 21, 2015, 09:11:59 pm
There are a zillion choices out there. Winter sports stores and hunting outfitters have the best selections. I have liked the two part liner glove and over-mitt approach - mine is from Cabela's, and the over-mitt has little magnets sewn into the polartec fleece so that you can fold back the finger cover and the thumb cover and they stay put. New thing this year seems to be the nylon and polartec hand muff on a belt, and the hand muff has a zipper pocket where you can stash a chemical hand warmer. This would seem to be a great thing for waiting around, or for operating a wired shutter release on a camera set up to shoot a nest. However - it hasn't been cold enough for me to bother to deploy it! It's a lovely neon orange, so I don't get mistaken for a turkey, duck, or deer.
Title: Re: Recommendations for glove-mitts for cold weather photography?
Post by: torger on January 23, 2016, 03:22:01 pm
The choice of gloves is very personal, because our bodies differ in how well they can keep our hands warm. What's adequate for one person may be much too cold for another.

I always use mittens, as gloves with the fingers separated always make my hands cold. I use leather mittens with just the suitable amount of insulation to be warm but not to remove all dexterity. It's surprising how much camera handling I can do with the mittens on. I've tried high tech battery-heated gloves but they're still worse than a good pair of mittens. I use this type:
https://hestragloves.com/dress-gloves/intl/gloves/collection/29171-wilson-man-mitt/100/
I use this down to about -20C to -25C. Colder I preferably have more insulated mittens, losing some dexterity.

I don't use liners, but have bare hands inside the mittens, and when I occasionally need to do something detailed I take off the mitten, do it, and then put on the mitten again. Having thin gloves on my hands lowers dexterity for the fine play and doesn't really contribute any meaningful to warmth.

I also make sure to have enough clothing on the rest of my body, as the hands will be more easier cold if I'm freezing elsewhere.
Title: Re: Recommendations for glove-mitts for cold weather photography?
Post by: brandtb on January 23, 2016, 05:13:26 pm
Bob I use this great Seirus pair for general cold weather down to 20 or so http://www.ems.com/seirus-mens-xtreme-all-weather-gloves/1325988.html (http://www.ems.com/seirus-mens-xtreme-all-weather-gloves/1325988.html)  and used these Outdoor Research Exped. mitts in Catskills recently in 10 to -5...really excellent http://www.rei.com/product/787069/outdoor-research-meteor-mitts (http://www.rei.com/product/787069/outdoor-research-meteor-mitts) /B
Title: Re: Recommendations for glove-mitts for cold weather photography?
Post by: Bob_B on January 25, 2016, 08:18:46 am
Thanks everyone. I opted for a pair of silk glove liners and gore tex mitts. This combo works well. In fact, yesterday I spent 6 hours shoveling and snowblowing snow from this weekend's blizzard. My hands stayed warm throughout.
Title: Re: Recommendations for glove-mitts for cold weather photography?
Post by: Otto Phocus on January 27, 2016, 07:26:50 am
Another choice would be "Carpenter's gloves", which are full gloves but have the tips of the forefinger and thumb exposed.