Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Mjollnir on December 05, 2015, 03:42:44 pm

Title: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Mjollnir on December 05, 2015, 03:42:44 pm
The last of a few successful ones from a most surprising morning.

After the fog had lifted somewhat, I was still at Sentinel Meadow, weighing various framing ideas, and two runners appeared out of nowhere, really giving a sense of scale to the place.  It was about 25 degrees, IIRC; the perfect conditions for logging some miles.   I don't think it's possible to get it big enough here, but at least blowing it up in Lightroom shows the runners themselves quite sharply.  The one in green was wearing a full white face mask.

(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/740/23514346276_76fc173f95_h.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/BPTaVo)Thanksgiving Morning, Sentinel Meadow, #2 (https://flic.kr/p/BPTaVo) by tanngrisnir3 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Chairman Bill on December 05, 2015, 03:45:40 pm
Wonderful landscape, and the runners really make the image that little bit more
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 05, 2015, 04:17:15 pm
My one quibble is: Isn't this #4 and not #3?

Two hours well spent.
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: graeme on December 06, 2015, 08:08:26 am
Wonderful landscape, and the runners really make the image that little bit more

+1. Thanks for posting these.
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on December 09, 2015, 06:11:24 am
Excellent.
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: stamper on December 09, 2015, 08:15:55 am
Wonderful landscape, and the runners really make the image that little bit more

Heartily agree!
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Mjollnir on December 09, 2015, 09:17:43 am
Thanks, everyone!

Had the chance to blow this up pretty big yesterday on monitors WAY bigger than what I usually work with, and it looked pretty good to me.

This may be the first serious print I've ever done as a gift to a runner I know.
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: gchappel on December 15, 2015, 06:07:21 am
Lovely image. 
It may just be me, but I think the image would be stronger with just one runner. 
I would take 10seconds and clone out the second runner.
Gives a different more desolate feeling to the picture.  It gets rid of the feeling that the front runner is being chased. 
The stance of the second runner is also not as strong and in my eye detracts from what I see.
Nice image- needs to be printed large.
Gary
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Tony Jay on December 15, 2015, 06:26:06 am
Lovely image. 
It may just be me, but I think the image would be stronger with just one runner. 
I would take 10seconds and clone out the second runner.

Gives a different more desolate feeling to the picture.  It gets rid of the feeling that the front runner is being chased. 
The stance of the second runner is also not as strong and in my eye detracts from what I see.
Nice image- needs to be printed large.
Gary
For me, I would leave the image as is.
There is nothing wrong with considering a different story, see above, but I think that the story of this image is excellent as is.
The composition works and the multiple possible scenarios those two runners introduce makes for a very intriguing image - one not possible if one of the runners is cloned out.

Food for thought

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Mjollnir on December 16, 2015, 11:08:17 am
I tried it out, just for S&Gs, and don't know if I prefer it any more than the first.  Tells a slightly different story, perhaps.

(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/673/23423783299_47431346b6_h.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/BFT1GK)Thanksgiving Morning, Sentinel Meadow, #2a (https://flic.kr/p/BFT1GK) by tanngrisnir3 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: NancyP on December 16, 2015, 11:45:37 am
Darn you, now I feel guilty.......
 :D
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: pcgpcg on December 16, 2015, 01:16:37 pm
...don't know if I prefer it any more than the first...
I do. Very nice.
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 16, 2015, 01:19:25 pm
... don't know if I prefer it any more than the first...

I do, too.
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Tony Jay on December 16, 2015, 04:16:20 pm
Now that I have seen the alternative I much prefer the original image.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: John Koerner on December 16, 2015, 05:21:48 pm
Lovely image. 
It may just be me, but I think the image would be stronger with just one runner. 

I much prefer it with only one runner.

Might also have been strengthened with a pan upward, to get the full height of the background trees, to augment the feeling of smallness in the runner compared to the environment.
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Mjollnir on December 17, 2015, 09:11:03 am
I much prefer it with only one runner.

Might also have been strengthened with a pan upward, to get the full height of the background trees, to augment the feeling of smallness in the runner compared to the environment.

Thanks!  But, as I said, they came out of nowhere and they were running, so I could only react in the little time I had.  That, and I was above them from my vantage point.

Next time, perhaps ;-)
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Bob_B on December 17, 2015, 09:18:49 am
+1. Both versions are great. I guess if I were to pick one I'd chose the second version with one runner (maybe). Tough call.
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: John Koerner on December 17, 2015, 09:59:19 am
+1. Both versions are great. I guess if I were to pick one I'd chose the second version with one runner (maybe). Tough call.

For me, it's not even close.

The body position of the runner in back is weak, tired; it detracts from the image in many ways.
First, by creating too much busy-ness in the serene, cold environment. Second, by looking tired in its stance.

In contrast, the first runner is colorful and has an active, vibrant posture.
By removing the second runner, the tired posture of the trailing runner is discarded, which is a good thing by itself.
In doing so, the lone figure of the one runner augments the feeling of environmental vastness, stillness in contrast to his efforts.

IMO, the removal of the rear runner was a great idea and strengthened and already interesting composition tenfold.

Jack
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 17, 2015, 10:26:12 am
Good call, Jack.
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: elf on December 17, 2015, 09:42:40 pm
You may want to re-title it to "Skiers" :)
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Mjollnir on December 18, 2015, 01:29:20 pm
You may want to re-title it to "Skiers" :)

I've decided to call it either, "Yellow Mudsharks #13" or "David Gilmour Has My Socks"

Don't know which one I prefer yet ;-)
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: gchappel on December 24, 2015, 07:52:45 am
Sorry, I was out of town for a while.
At least for me, I really think removing the rear runner improved the image dramatically.
I find I like my own work when it is simple- and tells only one story.
I still find it interesting how different our preferences are.  I guess that is why we love this art form
Gary
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: sarrasani on December 24, 2015, 06:35:17 pm
excellent capture and brilliant situation and composition.
Sandro
Title: Re: Thanksgiving Morning #3, Yosemite Valley, the Runners
Post by: Mjollnir on December 26, 2015, 06:38:23 pm
Thanks, everyone!

I just spent Xmas Eve and Xmas day in Yosemite Valley, and it DUMPED snow on us.

Just got back and have processing on my mind.