Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: William Walker on December 04, 2015, 02:06:12 am

Title: Rainbow Cloud
Post by: William Walker on December 04, 2015, 02:06:12 am
This is a bit different from what I usually post - my first "skyscape".

I am very interested to know what you think of this...

Thanks

William
Title: Re: Rainbow Cloud
Post by: fredweymouth on December 04, 2015, 07:33:20 am
William,

I like the concept. I think it could be improved in post by cropping out some of the sky, and making the rainbow a larger portion of the frame.

Fred
Title: Re: Rainbow Cloud
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on December 04, 2015, 12:06:28 pm
Isn't there a term for this? (Not circumzenithal arc, something else.)
Title: Re: Rainbow Cloud
Post by: RSL on December 04, 2015, 12:15:07 pm
Stieglitz would have called it an "equivalent."
Title: Re: Rainbow Cloud
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 04, 2015, 01:04:37 pm
Beautiful minimalism. Decorative (a compliment). Could be printed really big and no need for cropping.
Title: Re: Rainbow Cloud
Post by: MattBurt on December 04, 2015, 01:13:34 pm
Isn't there a term for this? (Not circumzenithal arc, something else.)

I believe they are also called sun dogs. 22 degrees off the sun's position, IIRC.
We get them a lot here on cold clear days in the winter when there are little ice crystals floating around.

I like the shot but agree a tighter crop might make it stronger.
Title: Re: Rainbow Cloud
Post by: William Walker on December 05, 2015, 02:41:06 am
Isn't there a term for this? (Not circumzenithal arc, something else.)

Iridescent clouds - from what Google tells me..quite a rare occurrence.

Thanks for the comments! I have done an A2 test print and I am certainly going to print it larger, as is.

Thanks for the feedback.