Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: budjames on April 16, 2006, 01:08:46 pm

Title: Canon 24-105 IS on 20D body?
Post by: budjames on April 16, 2006, 01:08:46 pm
Considering the 24-105 IS for my Canon 20D and 1DsMkII.

Currently, I'm using the Canon 28-135 IS on my 20D. It's been okay, but not as sharp as my Canon 24-70 f2.8 L lens.

Anyone have any experiences using the 24-105 IS lense on a 20D body?

Thanks.

Bud James
North Wales, PA
Title: Canon 24-105 IS on 20D body?
Post by: DigitalPeanut on April 17, 2006, 12:36:55 am
Quote
Considering the 24-105 IS for my Canon 20D and 1DsMkII.

Currently, I'm using the Canon 28-135 IS on my 20D. It's been okay, but not as sharp as my Canon 24-70 f2.8 L lens.

Anyone have any experiences using the 24-105 IS lense on a 20D body?

Thanks.

Bud James
North Wales, PA
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62711\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


I returned mine and got the 24-70mm f/2.8L. Although, there are mixed reviews on this lens, flare and vignetting in my photos was the main reason I return it to the dealer. I tried the lens on my 20D and 1D mk II bodies with the same results. I'm patiently waiting for the ef-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS to be released, may have better results on my 20D.
Title: Canon 24-105 IS on 20D body?
Post by: alfin on April 17, 2006, 12:31:18 pm
I don’t see how you manage to get the lens to vignette on a cropped sensor, but for photographers used to fullframe (film or digital), the vignetting is about the same as any other wide angle zoom lens, so it should hardly be visible on a 20D. Besides, it is easily corrected in ACR or some other software if it bothers you too much. With my copy I don’t have any serious problems with flare either, but distortion is definitely more than normal on this zoom lens. The zoom range is convenient and the sharpness of the lens is enough to be able to live with the heavy distortion, especially since it also is easily corrected in software. However, it’s not very wide on a 20D, but you already know that...
Title: Canon 24-105 IS on 20D body?
Post by: budjames on May 02, 2006, 08:57:32 pm
I ordered the 24-105 IS L lens from NewEgg.com today. $1,149 minus a $50 Canon rebate plus $10 for shipping. This lens will replace my 28-135 IS which is for sale.

Bud