Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: David Eckels on December 01, 2015, 01:39:25 pm

Title: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: David Eckels on December 01, 2015, 01:39:25 pm
Near Sedona, I came across this old fallen tree stump and the contrasting green and yellow.
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 01, 2015, 01:50:51 pm
Superb, buddy!

Suggestions: I would tone down a bit the highlights on the stump (and/or perhaps the overall contrast). Maybe cloning out the out-of-focus leaves?
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 01, 2015, 02:25:10 pm
Superb, buddy!

Suggestions: I would tone down a bit the highlights on the stump (and/or perhaps the overall contrast). Maybe cloning out the out-of-focus leaves?

+1 on all points.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: David Eckels on December 01, 2015, 02:32:56 pm
Superb, buddy!

Suggestions: I would tone down a bit the highlights on the stump (and/or perhaps the overall contrast). Maybe cloning out the out-of-focus leaves?
Thanks, Slobodan and Jeremy. Yeah, I know what you're saying. I was trying to stretch my histogram to just under blowing the highlights in the stump. Thought I would post for compositional comments and then play with the issues you raise in the print, which is fast becoming (and should be) my ultimate standard. Glad you like it; it really was a kind of magical peek into the bushes!
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 01, 2015, 02:46:17 pm
Yes, I think that the composition is superb, both object placement-wise and color contrast-wise. Toning down overall contrast and highlights might bring out that mystical, moody, spooky, dark, deep forest feel.
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 01, 2015, 03:12:44 pm
It is a very magical scene, David, and  Slobodan's suggestions should help bring out the magic even more.
Definitely a keeper.
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: sdwilsonsct on December 01, 2015, 11:54:58 pm
Nicely seen!
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on December 02, 2015, 04:02:28 am
Excellent.
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: francois on December 02, 2015, 04:37:12 am
Superb as it is but probably even better with Slobodan's suggestions.
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: Patricia Sheley on December 02, 2015, 08:20:59 pm
If you have a favorite family leather-bound in need of a FABULOUS bookplate, this would be the one...
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: Bob_B on December 03, 2015, 10:23:20 am
+1. I agree with all the great comments. Congrats, and I hope you'll consider printing it.
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: MattBurt on December 03, 2015, 11:50:21 am
Beautiful scene, I love the luminescence of the yellow leaves contrasting with the shadows.
I don't mind the OOF leaves so much as they add to the "peering though" to the scene. I'm sure it will be a fine shot without them as well.

Lovely photo over all.
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: David Eckels on December 03, 2015, 03:22:11 pm
Thanks for all the comments. By the way, it does print beautifully!
Re: Matt's comment about the OOF leaves, I had the same sense of their contribution to the "peering through" mood and so left them in for the OP. But as I studied both versions (w/wo the OOF leaves) I remembered something Vincent Versace said to me, echoed in part by Slobodan, about "edge patrol" and not leaving bright distractions. So in the final I cloned them out because I didn't want to distract from the resonance of the stump, the green leaves, and the yellow highlights in the background.
Patricia, if only I had a family leather-bound that needed a bookplate; I confess to being a Kindle junkie and the b/w version at that!
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: BAB on December 06, 2015, 01:05:53 am
I love the old mans face on the left most interesting part of the image try to bring it out with light and shadow
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: Jens Peermann on December 10, 2015, 09:05:41 pm
Great fairy tale scene in the deep forest. Love it!
Title: Re: Verde Valley Wetlands
Post by: Tony Jay on December 11, 2015, 01:17:39 am
Late in on this but still worth a comment I think.

Wonderful interplay between light and subject!

Tony Jay