Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Helmut R on November 30, 2015, 06:46:04 am

Title: IBIS, Macro, "focal length"
Post by: Helmut R on November 30, 2015, 06:46:04 am
Since a while I have a sony a7r2 with in camera image stabilization. I intend to make use of this in combination with a legacy macro lens with fixed focus (in my case a macro elmarit r, f=60mm or a micro nikkor 4/200). I do not precisely know how the image stabilization operates  but I guess, camera + lens is considered to be a solid system which, hand held, suffers from some "zitterbewegung" inducing a vibration of the picture at the position of the sensor and this vibration has to be compensated.  The relevant parameter the system has to know , in my view, is the distance between sensor and lens, that is focal length f + move of the lens, e.g. in case of  a 1:1 macro picture together 2f,  in case of a 1:2 mapping it would be (1+1/2)f. Therefore I should insert this value instead of f (as is requested in the manual of the camera). - Does someone have experience ?
Helmut
Title: Re: IBIS, Macro, "focal length"
Post by: elf on November 30, 2015, 03:52:39 pm
Does image stabilization work at macro distances?
Title: Re: IBIS, Macro, "focal length"
Post by: Telecaster on November 30, 2015, 04:05:44 pm
Hmmm, good question. I've done some macro work with my adapted 60mm Makro-Planars using the A7r Mk. I but none so far with the A7r2. I'd recommend some experimentation.  :)

-Dave-
Title: Re: IBIS, Macro, "focal length"
Post by: AlterEgo on November 30, 2015, 05:06:00 pm
Does image stabilization work at macro distances?
if you see better /shakewise/ the subject in EVF/LCD when using macro lens and doing macro work then it naturally does...