Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on November 29, 2015, 11:28:28 pm

Title: Anticipation
Post by: Todd Suttles on November 29, 2015, 11:28:28 pm
Any Thoughts? or comments
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: stamper on November 30, 2015, 04:02:15 am
I am not sure of what to make of this and it certainly makes you think. Did you place the chair there? For it to work then there has to be a connection between the chair and the rest of the scene. One to think about and look again.
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on November 30, 2015, 08:08:11 am
I think that the guy in the inflatable totaly ruins the shot.
Without him, the ships would make a beautiful quasi-abstract background for the tale told by the chair.

But with that guy the shot is IMHO too much confused.
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 30, 2015, 09:29:34 am
If you could clone out the guy but keep the dog I think it would work better. The dog appears to be looking toward the chair, which connects the background to the foreground.

Intriguing image.
Title: Re: Anticipation / Used To Be / Thoughts...
Post by: Patricia Sheley on November 30, 2015, 01:26:07 pm
...cannot quite get where I find myself envisioning, yet the flowing hair of the wind onto ship's bow, briefly visiting the salon chair back, gone missing somehow from "used to be" , joining the anticipation of returning seaman's catch joining her there at the waiting chair...somehow, somehow if they could find each other, the mermaid's fish companion, and even possibly through an antiquities windowframe to the sea painting their story... there is something waiting here just beneath these surfaces...thank you for awakenings Todd.

Your "Anticipation" and "Used To Be" have no intention of allowing my mind to rest...are these locations near you?
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: RSL on November 30, 2015, 03:19:57 pm
It's an interesting thought piece, Todd.
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: fredweymouth on December 01, 2015, 06:55:14 am
I wonder what the image is about? It is a bit confusing to me.
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: RSL on December 01, 2015, 10:57:34 am
Exactly, Fred. You got the point.

By the way, welcome to LuLa.
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: brandtb on December 01, 2015, 11:26:07 am
Todd - to the point, why are any of the things in the frame interesting? Why is the combination interesting? One, the really cheap/bad reproduction Louis XVI chair with really really bad/cheesy upholstery - especially that image on the back - it tells a story in and of itself...and it's not good. The rear elements are not interesting, in poor light/exposure. To wit...forcing a juxtaposition or surrealism... and by extension forcing a "meaning" on to a picture (and I'm not necessarily suggesting you are) does not subsitute for a good picture or good frame generally speaking. /Brandt
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: RSL on December 01, 2015, 11:29:35 am
It's surrealism, Brandt. It's not great surrealism, but it's more original than at least 95% of the landscape I see on here.
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on December 01, 2015, 11:46:51 am
I probably should keep my thoughts to myself...
It would be a mistake, IMHO: asking "why this image is worth posting?" is always a fertile question when is a proxy for "what is it that I don't get about this image?".
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: Rob C on December 01, 2015, 12:02:51 pm
... outside the interiors of closed thinking exist abundant opportunity to creative and open vision...ok, I get that it is Critiques and I should have hobbled my brain within those bounds and stuck strictly to the image as presented, but really was lamenting the unwillingness to be set free of limitation of "seeing".

Thank you to Russ for the breath of possibility. I probably should keep my thoughts to myself...


Nope, Patricia, hobbling of an actively fertile brain is impossible and only pain comes from trying. Equally, 'tis my belief that those so afflicted are beyond redemption, the benighted children of congenital spiritual deprivation.

Equally, I confess gratitude to forebears who opened my own eyes to so many wonders of this world, from a mother who dragged me to as many wartime galleries (WW2, for those in doubt) as remained open, and to an aunt whose collections of Vogue and Harper's Bazaar led me to my initial (if sometimes betrayed) love of elegance, not to mention her generosity in lending this young vandal her prized Rollei as first real camera! And that's but the tip of several wonderful icebergs.

Shoulders of giants, indeed.

Rob C
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: Rob C on December 01, 2015, 12:07:58 pm
Any Thoughts? or comments


Yes, I like your image, but wouldn't put much weight on comments; just keep on following your path - you clearly have one - and the best of these are, sadly, oft travelled alone. It's your self-expression.

Rob C
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: petermfiore on December 02, 2015, 08:14:09 am

Yes, I like your image, but wouldn't put much weight on comments; just keep on following your path - you clearly have one - and the best of these are, sadly, oft travelled alone. It's your self-expression.

Rob C

I Agee...True creative self-expression is misunderstood at best and often quickly dismissed. Because it's unfamiliar.
Follower YOUR desires.

Peter
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: RSL on December 02, 2015, 09:03:59 am
+1
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: Bob_B on December 02, 2015, 09:42:13 am
+1: What Peter said.
Title: Re: Anticipation
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 02, 2015, 12:12:46 pm
+2 to what Rob said and Peter, Russ, and Bob echoed.

-Eric