Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: sdwilsonsct on November 27, 2015, 01:22:36 pm

Title: Quiet lake
Post by: sdwilsonsct on November 27, 2015, 01:22:36 pm
Normally when I visit Lake Louise the camera stays in its bag, and I try to enjoy the energy of the thousands of visitors.

It seems that the key to photography is to visit during a snowstorm in November. I had the place to myself, a first.

Well, there was a bald eagle, a hairy woodpecker, chickadees, and a dipper (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_dipper) in #3.

Feedback welcome.
Title: Re: Quiet lake
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 27, 2015, 01:45:09 pm
Quiet and contemplative.
Title: Re: Quiet lake
Post by: Walt Roycraft on November 27, 2015, 04:23:18 pm
All very nice, but #2 is my favorite. A little nit, put space between water line and tree trunk.
Title: Re: Quiet lake
Post by: sdwilsonsct on November 28, 2015, 02:38:13 pm
All very nice, but #2 is my favorite. A little nit, put space between water line and tree trunk.

Thanks, Slobodan and Walt.

Good catch, Walt. I did step right and shoot again, but then that long branch on the left really sticks out and ruins the composition. Photography is a vale of tears.   ;D
Title: Re: Quiet lake
Post by: Bruno Gil on November 28, 2015, 06:13:27 pm
Dream shot for #2, maybe one day  ::)
Title: Re: Quiet lake
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on November 30, 2015, 04:40:06 am
Really like the freshness and cold coming out of these, well done.
Title: Re: Quiet lake
Post by: sdwilsonsct on November 30, 2015, 04:44:58 pm
Dream shot for #2, maybe one day  ::)

2 for 2, which was my least favorite. I am useless at judging my own pictures.  :D

Bruno, Paulo: thanks!
Title: Re: Quiet lake
Post by: John R on November 30, 2015, 10:21:26 pm
When it snows or there is fog or mist, the landscape becomes transformed and we see things in way we would not have noticed otherwise. Simple quiet landscapes with elements that help us look and feel the quietude and serenity of snow in a mysterious landscape. Wonderful work.

JR
Title: Re: Quiet lake
Post by: Leszek Piotrowski on November 30, 2015, 11:41:53 pm
#1 is my favourite. The colour of the water against the snow, stones and tree is what makes me wish I was there. Been their twice before in September. Seeing these images makes me wish I was their again. Thanks for posting.
Title: Re: Quiet lake
Post by: mseawell on December 01, 2015, 07:21:07 am
It takes me to a moment where you are alone, enjoying peace and the low tide of the beauty. Treasured moments.

Mark
Title: Re: Quiet lake
Post by: brandtb on December 01, 2015, 11:55:36 am
Scott...I like that 2nd one...especially the softness of the slope descending in the background /B
Title: Re: Quiet lake
Post by: Mjollnir on December 01, 2015, 12:01:25 pm
#1 for the subtle color, #2 for the subject and framing.
Title: Re: Quiet lake
Post by: sdwilsonsct on December 01, 2015, 11:54:02 pm
#1 for the subtle color, #2 for the subject and framing.

Thanks for the feedback! One of the best things about photography is getting out into places and at times you otherwise never would. Some of the memories never got photographed, like the snow falling in front of the red cliffs at the head of the lake. Next time.
Title: Re: Quiet lake
Post by: francois on December 02, 2015, 04:40:10 am
I love the second photo. There's a sense of loneliness and quietness that I like very much. All three evoke perfectly the winter season, for me!