Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: deanwork on November 21, 2015, 06:04:40 pm

Title: Hahnemuhle Metallic Canvas
Post by: deanwork on November 21, 2015, 06:04:40 pm
Wondering if anyone has used the hah metallic canvas for large prints?

I'm thinking about printing a show of brilliantly colored 30x40 to 40x60 prints on it and stretch it and put in wooden frames.

Since I've never used it I'm wondering if you can still put the canvas varnishes on it , or the Hah solvent varnish and still retain the sparkle. Or. if it is advised  not to varnish it at all. I could use the Phytochrome metallic paper for this job but I'm toying with the idea of using the canvas for this work which would eliminate my expense of mounting to diabond, as I usually do, or having to buy all that plexi.

Any experience with it would be appreciated.

John
Title: Re: Hahnemuhle Metallic Canvas
Post by: I.T. Supplies on November 23, 2015, 06:27:21 pm
John,

Hahnemuhle states that their canvas doesn't need spraying after it's printed on to wrap, but it's recommended to coat it for safety.  Any matte finish spray will be good to coat; otherwise you can use a matte liquid finish (Premier Eco or Clearshield) that you roll to keep the finish it already has.  There is a chance that it may dull the image out a little, so I would stick with the spray if you don't want that to happen.

With canvas, it's usually recommended to apply the liquid version to help cover inbetween the weave better than spray- but it's user preference.

If you want, you can check with Hahnemuhle directly for their advice:  815-502-5880

Hope this helps

Atlex.com
Title: Re: Hahnemuhle Metallic Canvas
Post by: deanwork on November 24, 2015, 05:53:06 pm
Thanks, I'm hoping someone who is using this product might describe their experiences with it. I guess I'll order a small roll to test it out first.

john