Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Michael West on November 20, 2015, 12:06:56 am

Title: The Calla Lily: a small collection
Post by: Michael West on November 20, 2015, 12:06:56 am
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/653/23136381645_bc8ca49c41_o.jpg)

(https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5829/23136381625_b98575ab8c_c.jpg)
Title: Re: The Calla Lily: a small collection
Post by: luxborealis on November 21, 2015, 10:50:51 am
Beautifully composed. Perhaps incorrectly,  I think of calla lilies as being white, yet the one here shows up as a value of grey too near neutral. Higher exposure may just knock out the highlights, so raising the shadows in concert with raising highlights might just add that bit of brightness I think these photos need.
Title: Re: The Calla Lily: a small collection
Post by: Michael West on November 21, 2015, 03:35:15 pm
Beautifully composed. Perhaps incorrectly,  I think of calla lilies as being white, yet the one here shows up as a value of grey too near neutral. Higher exposure may just knock out the highlights, so raising the shadows in concert with raising highlights might just add that bit of brightness I think these photos need.

they were both captured under fairly low light conditions but I wouldnt say that the processing is finalized as yet.

this image was among the first that I made under similar conditions at the same location.

(https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/12189983_10153216089948603_3079613222186542699_n.jpg?oh=d289f7a7130f78b6a7aac8e7caedc1e9&oe=56E1AEBB)

the geometry in this image has to be my favorite
Title: Re: The Calla Lily: a small collection
Post by: drmike on November 21, 2015, 03:37:59 pm
To do this well is very hard, congratulations!
Title: Re: The Calla Lily: a small collection
Post by: francois on November 23, 2015, 07:53:48 am
Wonderful shapes and great B&W conversion. A small collection but an excellent collection!
Bravo
Title: Re: The Calla Lily: a small collection
Post by: Michael West on November 23, 2015, 11:06:24 am
 
drmike and francois

Thank you very much.
 
Title: Re: The Calla Lily: a small collection
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 23, 2015, 02:15:00 pm
A gorgeous set of images. I agree with Terry that it is worth a lot of effort to bring the processing to perfection.
Title: Re: The Calla Lily: a small collection
Post by: Michael West on November 29, 2015, 12:06:12 am
A gorgeous set of images. I agree with Terry that it is worth a lot of effort to bring the processing to perfection.

Thanks

Im still going through hundreds of folders from  older drives and found another lily  image from  April 28, 2007 .

(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/630/22758620804_bf1ef7b3df_c.jpg)
Title: Re: The Calla Lily: a small collection
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on November 29, 2015, 04:59:19 pm
The first two are good, but the latter couple strike me much more (maybe because they are "less flower" and "more abstract" and therefore a better testimonial for the concepts of beauty and elegance).
Title: Re: The Calla Lily: a small collection
Post by: Michael West on November 30, 2015, 04:09:42 pm
The first two are good, but the latter couple strike me much more (maybe because they are "less flower" and "more abstract" and therefore a better testimonial for the concepts of beauty and elegance).

Thank you.