Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: NancyP on November 17, 2015, 11:28:01 am
-
Cache River / Bald Cypress Wetlands area in Southern Illinois.
I don't expect to see masses of flowers in late October, but here is a landscape shot and a (utilitarian, deep focus) plant identification shot of the Bidens species (ariosta?) "swamp marigold", one readily accessible individual specimen on semi-dry land. Next time I will check with the ranger about safety (of the plant community and of the photographer - I worry about getting mired!) and bring hip-boots to get a swamp-level view of the mass of swamp marigolds. The genus is called Bidens, Bi = 2, dens = teeth, from the annoying little seeds with two hooks at the end that cling to fur, clothing, etc. - related to Coreopsis.
-
Good duo of images. The yellow gives a nice touch to the brownish colours of Autumn.
-
Thank you for these fotos Nancy.
Very enjoyable !
Here in Louisiana right now in the wetlands they're also in bloom.
Be careful not to get stuck.
Richard
-
Thanks! I have been mired once through my own stupidity, fortunately not badly, not in very cold weather, and not out of cell range. Mississippi River wetlands north of St. Louis (Army Corps of Engineers land) - I walked on vegetation tufts, then sank in to my knees, had to sit down, dig out, and crawl out on my belly, all the while holding my camera up out of the mud with one hand. Basic training without the barb-wire! Some other birdwatcher came by while I was walking back to my car and doing my "Thing that came out of the swamp" imitation. Cleaning up the silt mess on camera, clothing, tripod, car, etc - PITA.
-
Glad you made it out OK.
If the water is ever high enough, a flat bottomed kayak is a nice way to get around.
R.
-
Yep, it's open to kayaks in the spring. There are several such cypress/tupelo wetlands areas in S. Missouri and S. Illinois, worth a little exploration. I may not live in a glamorous location, but I have to say that there's plenty to work with, and interesting natural history to learn.
-
Nancy.
All the salivating over glamorous locales, like Yosemite and the Grand Canyon, to me, just means a lack of appreciation and imagination for what is close at hand.
Richard
-
Nancy.
All the salivating over glamorous locales, like Yosemite and the Grand Canyon, to me, just means a lack of appreciation and imagination for what is close at hand.
Richard
I agree. Nice location and nice work, Nancy.