Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Vieri Bottazzini on November 16, 2015, 01:57:00 pm

Title: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on November 16, 2015, 01:57:00 pm
The impressive shape of Sgurr Nan Gillean, one of the Cuillin's peaks, stands proud behind Allt Dearg Mor, a tributary to River Sligachan on the Isle of Skye. Using a long exposure to shape the clouds and the water and choosing Black & White perfectly conveyed the mood I was after when seeing this scene on location.

(https://vieribottazzini.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/6Z10594.jpg)

With the Pentax 645z and the 28-45mm f/4.5. Best,

Vieri
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 16, 2015, 02:28:01 pm
One of the rare instances where blurred clouds look acceptable (well, for me at least). Toning seems to have a slight redish cast (again, on my screen). I usually do not mind mild toning of the warm-black type, i.e., more orange/brown than redish.
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: DaveRichardson on November 16, 2015, 02:57:01 pm
Another very nice image. I like the cloud blurring.

Quote
Toning seems to have a slight redish cast (again, on my screen).

Can't see any red cast here. Dropped image into photoshop without changing profile to check and if anything numbers indicate slight blue but hardly enough to be visible e.g. R134 G135 B139 in mids R25, G25, B27 in dark

Dave
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: thierrylegros396 on November 17, 2015, 03:10:01 am
Another very nice image. I like the cloud blurring.

Can't see any red cast here. Dropped image into photoshop without changing profile to check and if anything numbers indicate slight blue but hardly enough to be visible e.g. R134 G135 B139 in mids R25, G25, B27 in dark

Dave

No red cast for me, except in upper sky, but so slight that I didn't see at first.

I like it very much.

Thierry
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on November 17, 2015, 05:11:56 am
Nicely done, great result. The clouds envelop the landscape below.
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: francois on November 17, 2015, 07:59:57 am
Beautiful landscape shot with great sky and moving water. B&W is perfect.

- no red cast for me -
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 17, 2015, 10:02:10 am
The impressive shape of Sgurr Nan Gillean, one of the Cuillin's peaks, stands proud behind Allt Dearg Mor, a tributary to River Sligachan on the Isle of Skye.

That's an excellent result. The clouds frame the mountaintop and the blurred water works very nicely. Congratulations.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 17, 2015, 01:18:42 pm
Beautiful and very nicely processed.
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 17, 2015, 01:35:30 pm
... except in upper sky, but so slight that I didn't see at first.

Yes, that is where I noticed it too. Subsequent measurements indicate a touch of red and a bit more blue than green, thus leading to a purple-ish if not reddish cast. Barely perceptible indeed, but there. That would be my usual pet peeve when it comes to displaying b&w on the web, using sRGB. It is almost never completely uniform and neutral.
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: DaveRichardson on November 17, 2015, 03:12:47 pm
Quote
Subsequent measurements indicate a touch of red and a bit more blue than green........

Just downloaded again - blue is consistently higher than red or green, but red or green are +1 or -1 compared to each other at different parts of the image.
I wonder where that crept in - whether the original was toned like that or whether it has been part of the process to get the image onto the web.
I just downloaded a B&W that I posted here (as SRGB jpeg) and there is no change from neutral.

Dave
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: Chairman Bill on November 17, 2015, 03:21:04 pm
Looks pretty good to me. I won't be able to tell for sure until you send me a large print.   :)
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on November 18, 2015, 05:34:04 pm
One of the rare instances where blurred clouds look acceptable (well, for me at least). Toning seems to have a slight redish cast (again, on my screen). I usually do not mind mild toning of the warm-black type, i.e., more orange/brown than redish.

Another very nice image. I like the cloud blurring.

Can't see any red cast here. Dropped image into photoshop without changing profile to check and if anything numbers indicate slight blue but hardly enough to be visible e.g. R134 G135 B139 in mids R25, G25, B27 in dark

Dave

No red cast for me, except in upper sky, but so slight that I didn't see at first.

I like it very much.

Thierry

Nicely done, great result. The clouds envelop the landscape below.

Beautiful landscape shot with great sky and moving water. B&W is perfect.

- no red cast for me -

That's an excellent result. The clouds frame the mountaintop and the blurred water works very nicely. Congratulations.

Jeremy

Beautiful and very nicely processed.


Yes, that is where I noticed it too. Subsequent measurements indicate a touch of red and a bit more blue than green, thus leading to a purple-ish if not reddish cast. Barely perceptible indeed, but there. That would be my usual pet peeve when it comes to displaying b&w on the web, using sRGB. It is almost never completely uniform and neutral.

Just downloaded again - blue is consistently higher than red or green, but red or green are +1 or -1 compared to each other at different parts of the image.
I wonder where that crept in - whether the original was toned like that or whether it has been part of the process to get the image onto the web.
I just downloaded a B&W that I posted here (as SRGB jpeg) and there is no change from neutral.

Dave

Looks pretty good to me. I won't be able to tell for sure until you send me a large print.   :)

Thank you very much everyone!

About the cast, the image is slightly platinum-toned; that means a very faint bluish cast, at least on my monitor; I normally do such a minimal toning on my B&W because I found that it helps getting a better print, richer and (interestingly enough) more neutral, and is normally all but invisible when viewing on monitors...  :)

Again thank you all for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated. Best,

Vieri
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: stamper on November 19, 2015, 04:16:20 am
A very nice image. Well processed and worth the look. A cast? Does it matter? NO. 99% of images probably have a cast of some sort and most probably benefit from having one. A few years ago it was all the rage to find a mid tone and balance out the three channels to neutralise any cast. Did it make an image better. IMO NO. Unfortunately too many members would rather nitpick an image than praise it.  :(
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: DaveRichardson on November 19, 2015, 06:24:27 am
Quote
Unfortunately too many members would rather nitpick an image than praise it.
No nit-picking here, just trying to understand it. That is how we learn
Vieri - thanks for explaining the choice of toning, and it was not something that crept in when translating to the Web. I agree with others it is a very nice image.

Dave
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on November 22, 2015, 07:10:52 am
A very nice image. Well processed and worth the look. A cast? Does it matter? NO. 99% of images probably have a cast of some sort and most probably benefit from having one. A few years ago it was all the rage to find a mid tone and balance out the three channels to neutralise any cast. Did it make an image better. IMO NO. Unfortunately too many members would rather nitpick an image than praise it.  :(

No nit-picking here, just trying to understand it. That is how we learn
Vieri - thanks for explaining the choice of toning, and it was not something that crept in when translating to the Web. I agree with others it is a very nice image.

Dave

No problems whatsoever on my end, I am glad to explain my processes and the reasoning behind my choices, hoping that it might be of some use to others.  :)

That said, what stamper said happens often on this and other similar forums. "Some" nitpicking it is to be expected, to a degree, in a house full of photographers, and it's acceptable and perhaps even useful - to a degree at least. Of course, despite all moderation, it might happen that some negative character manages to slip through and poison some threads with "excessive" nitpicking, spreading unnecessary negativity around, but certainly this is not happened here as far as I am concerned. What I found interesting is the "nature" of the cast, that someone saw as reddish, other as bluish, etc. To me, this once more showed perfectly how viewing images on monitors that can possibly be very different and differently calibrated, while very practical, is perhaps not the best way to enjoy and critique an image...  :D
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: Sean H on November 28, 2015, 04:12:55 pm
A stunning image; thank you for sharing your work with us.

Sean
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: Bruno Gil on November 28, 2015, 06:07:55 pm
Good choice for using LE in this location
Thanks for sharing!
Title: Re: Sgurr Nan Gillean, II
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on December 01, 2015, 04:45:04 am
A stunning image; thank you for sharing your work with us.

Sean

Thank you very much Sean, glad you enjoyed it :)

Good choice for using LE in this location
Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Bruno, I am glad you liked it: the clouds definitely called for a LE here! :D