Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: gododdin on April 06, 2006, 08:43:41 am
-
I remember some years ago seeing a free gift with a photo magazine which allowed you to calculate the ange of the sunrise and sunset at a given latitude - looked a bit like a compass as far as I can remember. I didn't buy it, but now I kind of regret it.
I'm currently planning my shoots for the coming season and I think this could be a very usful gismo for planning getting the sun angle just right for a given subject. I have trawled the web but surprisingly found nothing about this gadget. Anyone know anything about this?
Thanks
G
-
I know nothing of it but I do wonder if the software that came wiht my cheap Celestron telescope would let me know this stuff. Perhaps I should reinstall it.
-
I remember some years ago seeing a free gift with a photo magazine which allowed you to calculate the ange of the sunrise and sunset at a given latitude - looked a bit like a compass as far as I can remember. I didn't buy it, but now I kind of regret it.
I'm currently planning my shoots for the coming season and I think this could be a very usful gismo for planning getting the sun angle just right for a given subject. I have trawled the web but surprisingly found nothing about this gadget. Anyone know anything about this?
Thanks
G
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62005\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Get a GPS. My Etrex Venture has a sunrise sunset calculator that indicates when and where the sun and or moon are coming up.
-
Not a gadget, but if you know the location:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.html (http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.html)
will give you altitude and Azimuth
-
If you have a Palm, there are programs such as Planetarium (http://www.aho.ch/pilotplanets/) that can show you that info.
-
If you have a Palm, there are programs such as Planetarium (http://www.aho.ch/pilotplanets/) that can show you that info.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62044\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
For a Pocket PC or PC you need Ephemeris by Jonathan Sachs. Google it, I don't have the URL to hand.
Brilliant for what you need and free.
-
I have used Sunpath for years with a compass, but a declinometer may be what you are referring to. Sunpath is used by cinematographers, and is very useful for scouting locations.
http://www.wide-screen.com/ (http://www.wide-screen.com/)
I don't have a declinometer but for a few jobs, wish that I had one.
-
I'm currently planning my shoots for the coming season and I think this could be a very usful gismo for planning getting the sun angle just right for a given subject. I have trawled the web but surprisingly found nothing about this gadget. Anyone know anything about this?
Actually I built just such a thing for pretty much the same reasons; It's up on Solarrose.us (http://solarrose.us) it attempts to guess your location based on your ip address, which can sometimes be comically wrong.
I'm in the process of updating it and would welcome suggestions.
-
Actually I built just such a thing for pretty much the same reasons; It's up on Solarrose.us (http://solarrose.us) it attempts to guess your location based on your ip address, which can sometimes be comically wrong.
I'm in the process of updating it and would welcome suggestions.
That's pretty neat. Any chance you could share the code for the calculations, or at least a source where I could get that info? I've been wanting to write something like this for my PocketPC Phone that could use the phone GPS to determine location and then do the calculation. (I have Ephemeris currently, but manual entry of coordinates is a PITA).
-
That's pretty neat. Any chance you could share the code for the calculations, or at least a source where I could get that info? I've been wanting to write something like this for my PocketPC Phone that could use the phone GPS to determine location and then do the calculation. (I have Ephemeris currently, but manual entry of coordinates is a PITA).
Hi jeff, the current version of the site is all Javascript and the calculations can be seen in the file functions.js
We got most of our info from the USNO.gov site but it's mostly basic trigonometry.
-
Hi jeff, the current version of the site is all Javascript and the calculations can be seen in the file functions.js
We got most of our info from the USNO.gov site but it's mostly basic trigonometry.
Looks like we've both been thinking along similar lines!
http://stephentrainor.com/2009/03/10/yassc...nset-calculator (http://stephentrainor.com/2009/03/10/yassc-yet-another-sunrise-sunset-calculator)
Your GeoIP lookup worked fine here in Boulder, CO, BTW.