Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Arlen on November 10, 2015, 08:03:34 pm

Title: Cascades Color
Post by: Arlen on November 10, 2015, 08:03:34 pm
We don't have the sugar maples that provide such spectacular autumn colors in the Northeast, but here in Oregon we do have vine maple that can be pretty eye catching, especially in the high western Cascades along the black lava fields. I captured this image a few weeks ago. I've changed my opinion of it several times since then, so I'm hoping to get some additional and honest opinions from experienced eyes.



(http://www.pbase.com/art1/image/161822076/original.jpg)
Title: Re: Cascades Color
Post by: sdwilsonsct on November 10, 2015, 09:43:55 pm
I like the composition. The pink is a bit, erm, pink! Depending on you and your audience, that might be just fine. I might try dialing it back a hair.
Title: Re: Cascades Color
Post by: stevenf on November 10, 2015, 10:33:02 pm
Its very nice. My comment would be it would be nice to see more structure in the tree.

Steven

http://www.friedmanphoto.com (http://www.friedmanphoto.com)
Title: Re: Cascades Color
Post by: Arlen on November 10, 2015, 11:58:02 pm
Thanks for the feedback, guys. And good catch, Scott, the white balance is a little off. It was shot on auto WB, and I neglected to correct it according to the Colorchecker reference. It's actually a little too blue, because the scene is in open shade under a blue sky. So I fixed that. Even though the tint is technically about correct, I agree that it still looked a little pink after temperature adjustment, so I pulled the tint back to the left just a bit. I don't want to overdo it, because the leaves actually were pretty red. See what you think now.



(http://www.pbase.com/art1/image/161823505/original.jpg)
Title: Re: Cascades Color
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on November 11, 2015, 04:32:16 am
I like it, great colour and light. I also like the "hints" we get of a couple of triangles, i.e. the tree and on the ground.
Title: Re: Cascades Color
Post by: sdwilsonsct on November 11, 2015, 10:00:01 am
I like this new version. Thanks for leaving up the first one for comparison.
Title: Re: Cascades Color
Post by: thierrylegros396 on November 11, 2015, 01:07:23 pm
I like this new version. Thanks for leaving up the first one for comparison.

+1

Thierry
Title: Re: Cascades Color
Post by: francois on November 13, 2015, 03:27:43 am
Yes, the new version is a definitive improvement but I love both.
Title: Re: Cascades Color
Post by: Arlen on November 13, 2015, 03:12:18 pm
Thanks again, your thoughts are much appreciated. It was the interplay between the colorful leaves and the light bark of the downed log and background tree that drew me to this scene. I played with the composition, but to a large degree nature constrains the possible arrangements.