Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Rob C on November 09, 2015, 04:36:16 am

Title: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: Rob C on November 09, 2015, 04:36:16 am
For some reason, the thread about an unusual Adams print has been locked - any ideas as to why?

Another problem: almost every time I write something here, spend time corrrecting my dreadful typing so that the message becomes legible, the entire thing gets cancelled, and I'm told that I am not allowed access to this part of the site.

Now, I thought that logging on via the little box up on the top right was all that it took to remain connected. Is there more that I am missing? As it is, I have to re-login, or start over again somewhere else (which is imposible, because I write what I feel at the time, not some pre-programmed recital that can be dredged up any old time - frankly, it stops more posts than it aids) and then copy and paste. As I have no idea when I start a reply whether it's going to be in the form of one sentence or something more, it becomes a bit of a drag writing anything. Maybe this is a subtle hint to me?

Does this happen to anyone else, or is it my computer (Windows 8.1)?  I refuse to download a free W10 because W 8.1 has completely lost me my original monitor calibrator's compatibility and I had to take aboard something called Classic Shell (?) in order to understand how to operate the computer at all. I am not prepared to risk losing even more photo-related functions because of Microsoft eccentricities; hell, next thing may be that my letter printer gets made obsolete!

Rob C
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: Jimbo57 on November 09, 2015, 05:25:59 am
I logged-in when I first started coming here last year. I have not had to log-in again since then. My PC (Windows 7) does it all automatically.

I can't offer any suggestions to explain the locking of the Adams thread. Perhaps some seditious sub-text visible only to Americans?
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: Manoli on November 09, 2015, 05:49:29 am
Another problem: almost every time I write something here, spend time corrrecting my dreadful typing so that the message becomes legible, the entire thing gets cancelled, and I'm told that I am not allowed access to this part of the site.

Rob,

Don't log on via the little box on the upper RHS ( which defaults to 60 minutes, IIRC). Use the 'Login' on the menu bar - you can set the duration of your log-in and even tick a box to keep you logged-in permanently.

M

Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: AreBee on November 09, 2015, 06:32:19 am
Rob,

Quote
For some reason, the thread about an unusual Adams print has been locked - any ideas as to why?

From the Forum Registration Agreement (Terms of Service) (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=76496.0):

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, inflammatory, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, sexist, racist, threatening...

The thread was locked in response to the comment (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=105282.msg866961#msg866961) Slobodan directed at me.
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: Rob C on November 09, 2015, 10:11:58 am
Rob,

From the Forum Registration Agreement (Terms of Service) (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=76496.0):

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, inflammatory, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, sexist, racist, threatening...

The thread was locked in response to the comment (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=105282.msg866961#msg866961) Slobodan directed at me.


Yeah, I've read the Bible too; were you referring to this: "Next time make it clearer what you mean. In the meantime, f off"?

If you were, and if the locking came via a complaint from you, I can only shake my head in disbelief. You must have been unfortunate enough to have led one of the most sheltered life in existence. The phrase is one of the most ubiquitous ones in the world, even here in Spain, where it's available in several languages. I have both received and delivered it almost daily!

Oy vey! My eyes roll! (Not a lot else does anymore, but the eyes still can.)

Rob C
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: Jimbo57 on November 09, 2015, 10:48:21 am
I should have thought that if an extremely mild, every-day, pseudo-profanity like that causes offence, then removing the offending post would be a better solution, rather than locking an otherwise inoffensive thread that other members have taken the trouble to contribute to.
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: petermfiore on November 09, 2015, 10:52:30 am
I should have thought that if an extremely mild, every-day, pseudo-profanity like that causes offence, then removing the offending post would be a better solution, rather than locking an otherwise inoffensive thread that other members have taken the trouble to contribute to.

This seems like a very fair approach...

Peter
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 09, 2015, 01:42:42 pm
That thread has been reopened.
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: Isaac on November 09, 2015, 02:31:13 pm
I should have thought that if an extremely mild, every-day, pseudo-profanity like that causes offence, then removing the offending post would be a better solution, rather than locking an otherwise inoffensive thread that other members have taken the trouble to contribute to.

fyi What might be done was discussed quite recently (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=103172.0).

Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 09, 2015, 03:03:58 pm

Yeah, I've read the Bible too; were you referring to this: "Next time make it clearer what you mean. In the meantime, f off"?

If you were, and if the locking came via a complaint from you, I can only shake my head in disbelief. You must have been unfortunate enough to have led one of the most sheltered life in existence. The phrase is one of the most ubiquitous ones in the world, even here in Spain, where it's available in several languages. I have both received and delivered it almost daily!

Oy vey! My eyes roll! (Not a lot else does anymore, but the eyes still can.)

I agree entirely. There was a thread recently started by someone who'd been banned from somewhere (dpreview, I think) for writing FFS, which seems even more unreasonable.

Jeremy
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: Isaac on November 09, 2015, 03:42:55 pm
I have both received and delivered it almost daily!

Well there's something to celebrate.

How we receive that invective depends on whether we think of the speaker as a bosom pal or a mean-spirited bully.
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: HSakols on November 09, 2015, 06:30:13 pm
The Ansel Print was of Ellerly Lake located off Tioga Pass.  Yes, he was able to take the photograph from his car, but back when we got a lot more snow.  I saw a real version of this print today at the Ansel Adams Gallery for sale. 
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 09, 2015, 06:53:51 pm
...How we receive that invective depends on whether we think of the speaker as a bosom pal or a mean-spirited bully.

I do not know whether you count me in the former of the latter, but I am a photographer, so...

      ⬇︎
      ⬇︎
      ⬇︎
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 09, 2015, 07:29:30 pm
I should have thought that if an extremely mild, every-day, pseudo-profanity like that causes offence...

Apparently, more offence than when someone quite recently called me a "dick"... no special characters in between, or missing letters. There was no banning and no thread locking, so I thought I can get away with just the first letter :)
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 10, 2015, 12:42:31 am
Apparently, more offence than when someone quite recently called me a "dick"... no special characters in between, or missing letters. There was no banning and no thread locking, so I thought I can get away with just the first letter :)
I'm with you on this, Slobo_an.

Perhaps a solution to this problem is to ban the use anywhere on the _orum o_ the initial letter of any wor_ that any poster _in_s o__ensive.   ???
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: GrahamBy on November 10, 2015, 02:01:19 am
Going way back to Rob C's question about being logged out while typing, that has happened to me a few times lately. I just ctrl-c the content, do the lap to log in and find my way back to the post and copy in the text.
Or, I just decide it's really not that important.
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: TomFrerichs on November 10, 2015, 03:41:00 pm
Apparently, more offence than when someone quite recently called me a "dick"... no special characters in between, or missing letters. There was no banning and no thread locking, so I thought I can get away with just the first letter :)

Richard Blagojevic?  I like it.  At least I can pronounce it.

Tom
Title: Re: St Ansel's Contrasty Print
Post by: Misirlou on November 17, 2015, 03:26:18 pm
Umm, anyway, that's a spectacular photo. Perfectly encapsulates what I love about St. Ansel's work.