Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: irkregent on November 07, 2015, 05:47:32 pm

Title: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: irkregent on November 07, 2015, 05:47:32 pm
I'm looking at moving to a mirrorless system, though I haven't decided on which one yet.

I wanted to ask about using mirrorless cameras for my two favorite shooting scenarios:  motorsports (primarily road racing) and birds in flight.  Would I be setting myself up for disappointment, or are the current systems good enough to do well in these situations?  What about low light (shooting birds early mornings), or night racing?
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: leuallen on November 07, 2015, 09:10:50 pm
I use an EM-1 either the 40-150 or 50-200 for quarter mile outlaw dirt racing. I have no trouble with focus: use single point and mash the shutter when the car is where I want. Probably not a good example because those old cars don't move that fast on the short track and I tend to get them in the corners where they slow down.

Larry
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: D Fuller on November 08, 2015, 12:01:49 am
I'm looking at moving to a mirrorless system, though I haven't decided on which one yet.

I wanted to ask about using mirrorless cameras for my two favorite shooting scenarios:  motorsports (primarily road racing) and birds in flight.  Would I be setting myself up for disappointment, or are the current systems good enough to do well in these situations?  What about low light (shooting birds early mornings), or night racing?

Wouldn't be the best choice at this time.

Look at the lenses you want and let the decision follow them.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Guillermo Luijk on November 08, 2015, 03:32:11 am

Your preferred kind of photography is the weak point of today's mirrorless cameras. Without more information about the reasons for a change it's impossible to judge, but I think you are not picking the best option.

Regards
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Petrus on November 08, 2015, 04:04:41 am
Samsung NX1 might be the best candidate for mirrorless action photography at the moment: 15 28 Mpix frames per second, and over 200 focus points covering the whole frame. Longer, faster lenses are likely to be the real problem, companies will not make them until there is enough customer base, and customers like you will not buy into the system until there are enough lenses…
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: peterottaway on November 08, 2015, 05:06:46 am
Samsung may not be the ideal choice for a new camera system at present. Either they are being ditched by a number of camera stores or they are abandoning cameras to curtail ongoing losses. Just haven't admitted it until they clear their warehouses ?
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on November 08, 2015, 06:22:29 am
I'm looking at moving to a mirrorless system, though I haven't decided on which one yet.

Hi,

Given your favorite subjects, the question becomes: Why mirrorless?

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: razrblck on November 08, 2015, 06:50:29 am
Look at the lenses you want and let the decision follow them.

I second this.

If people managed to make pictures of birds and racing cars back when film cameras didn't have autofocus at all, I'm sure you can manage to get good pictures with the latest gen mirrorless systems.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Petrus on November 08, 2015, 08:03:44 am
I second this.

If people managed to make pictures of birds and racing cars back when film cameras didn't have autofocus at all, I'm sure you can manage to get good pictures with the latest gen mirrorless systems.

The problem is the if the autofocus does not work well enough, manual focus is likely to fail badly also. Old SLRs had focusing screens designed for precise manual focus, while modern DSLRs and mirrorless equivalents are very bad in that regard. They are made with AF only in mind.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on November 08, 2015, 08:29:12 am
The problem is the if the autofocus does not work well enough, manual focus is likely to fail badly also. Old SLRs had focusing screens designed for precise manual focus, while modern DSLRs and mirrorless equivalents are very bad in that regard. They are made with AF only in mind.

I agree, and things like shutter lag (!), fill flash, tethering, remote controls, etc, etc, can all impact the usability for a specific shooting scenario. But the question remains, what is the goal? Is it switching to mirrorless, or is it to improve the chance of a successful capture?

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: irkregent on November 08, 2015, 05:44:14 pm
I agree, and things like shutter lag (!), fill flash, tethering, remote controls, etc, etc, can all impact the usability for a specific shooting scenario. But the question remains, what is the goal? Is it switching to mirrorless, or is it to improve the chance of a successful capture?

Cheers,
Bart

The reason I am looking at mirrorless is two-fold:
(1) To cut down on the bulk of the gear I carry.
(2) To improve the camera.  I'm currently using an Olympus E-30, a system old enough that the newer systems should easily outperform it.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Mousecop on November 08, 2015, 09:27:58 pm
I agree, and things like shutter lag (!), fill flash, tethering, remote controls, etc, etc, can all impact the usability for a specific shooting scenario.
High-end mirrorless are all fine with fill flash, tethering, remote control. C-AF in most models is not quite on par with the top end DSLRs, but certain cameras (E-M1, E-M5 II, Sony A7R II) include PDAF. Nikon 1 V3 is supposedly an utter beast with C-AF, allegedly beating pro DSLRs, though it may not have enough resolution for some users.

Mirrorless cameras also include several MF aids not available with DSLRs, such as DoF preview without loss of brightness, focus peaking, zebra striping, exposure preview etc.

We should also note that part of the issue with fast sports is not with the equipment, but with the photographer's skill set. If you've developed a strong skill set for fast-moving subjects with a DSLR, it's going to take time to adjust to how an EVF handles moving subjects. Or, if you rely heavily on cropping, smaller formats will not be ideal.

At any rate, many photographers successfully use mirrorless cameras for BIFs and motor sports; you can find plenty of examples around. However, I do think the OP will be best off with either a body with PDAF, or a Nikon 1, and taking time to adapt.

https://photographylife.com/birds-in-flight-with-nikon-1-v3
http://www.michaelrammell.com/blog/olympus-shoots-motor-sports
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/photographing-birds-in-flight-with-the-om-d-22345
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: D Fuller on November 08, 2015, 11:09:38 pm
If I were shooting the subjects the OP mentions, one of the first theings I's want in my kit would be a lens in the 300mm range. Are there any for mirrorless?

(http://airstreampictures.com/portfolio-images/things/Montreal_GP.jpg)
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: peterottaway on November 09, 2015, 12:44:03 am
Personally I use my 70-200 zoom in 18mp APS mode or some of my longer A mount lenses.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Ken Bennett on November 09, 2015, 07:02:35 am
If I were shooting the subjects the OP mentions, one of the first theings I's want in my kit would be a lens in the 300mm range. Are there any for mirrorless?

Olympus 40-150/2.8 is 300mm-equivalent at the long end. The Fuji 50-140 with the upcoming 1/4x converter will be as well, but there is a reason no one has sugegsted Fuji anywhere in this thread :). I mean, I love my Fuji system, but thankfully I don't often need to shoot anything that moves and when I do I dig out the Canon 1D Mark IV bodies.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Tony Ventouris Photography on November 09, 2015, 10:14:49 am
40-150 gives a 300mm F/2.8 setup in a lightweight package that you can actually handhold all day.  I found with that, depending on the speed of motion, how bright the subject is, etc... the E-M1 tracking mode even does pretty well.  A lot of people prefer the continuous AF mode over tracking.  I also usually switch to a 3x3 grid depending on the subject.  Sometimes that helps.  Especially if the subject is moving quick and its hard for me to keep a single point lined up.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: SZRitter on November 09, 2015, 10:50:37 am
With motorsports, there is a lot of variables. What type of motorsports? What is your access to the track/stage? What type of image do you hope to achieve? I usually do panning shots or corner shots in daylight with rally cars, and haven't had much issue with an E-M5. Pretty sure the E-M1 or GH4 would do better than the E-M5. That said, I can't say they are great in low light, but then, in Rally, you don't have a stadium full of lights.

That said, if I was trying to get a shot like D Fuller's, I'm not sure. If you could zone focus the spot, you might be able to get it, but using AF, it might not quite be fast enough.

Olympus has a 300mm planned (so 600mm) that looks to be pretty good, but not sure on release date (don't think it has been announced).
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: D Fuller on November 09, 2015, 01:19:47 pm
These Olympus offerings look very good. I wasn't aware of them at all, as I never really consider anything smaller than APS-C. Maybe I'll have to reconsider that.

But I think my original thinking still stands: decide what lenses you need and let the system decision follow that.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: irkregent on November 09, 2015, 01:59:06 pm
With motorsports, there is a lot of variables. What type of motorsports? What is your access to the track/stage? What type of image do you hope to achieve? I usually do panning shots or corner shots in daylight with rally cars, and haven't had much issue with an E-M5. Pretty sure the E-M1 or GH4 would do better than the E-M5. That said, I can't say they are great in low light, but then, in Rally, you don't have a stadium full of lights.
[snip]

Most of my racing shots are of road racing.  I don't have press access, so I'm usually stuck shooting well back from the action.  (Part of the fun is finding those spots where you can get an unobstructed view, as close as possible.)  Like you, I'm usually shooting a mix of panning or corner shots for the on-track action.  I'll admit to being frustrated with my panning results a lot of the time, but it just takes practice to find the best method and settings.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: irkregent on November 09, 2015, 02:00:52 pm
These Olympus offerings look very good. I wasn't aware of them at all, as I never really consider anything smaller than APS-C. Maybe I'll have to reconsider that.

But I think my original thinking still stands: decide what lenses you need and let the system decision follow that.

I like your thinking.  I should be starting from that side of the equation.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Greg D on November 12, 2015, 01:44:53 pm
I'm looking at moving to a mirrorless system, though I haven't decided on which one yet.

I wanted to ask about using mirrorless cameras for my two favorite shooting scenarios:  motorsports (primarily road racing) and birds in flight.  Would I be setting myself up for disappointment, or are the current systems good enough to do well in these situations?  What about low light (shooting birds early mornings), or night racing?

I mostly shoot landscape, but also some dogs & birds.  About a year ago I got a Sony A6000 to cut weight, hoping it would also have good enough AF to shoot moving things.  However my lowly Canon 60d still beat the pants off of it in that department.  The biggest drawback to me is the EVF's lag - you simply can't follow anything moving unpredictably.  Then there is the lack of lenses - not much long that's also fast (or even fastish, say f/4).  Not saying you can't do it, but my keeper rate is about 20% compared to about 80% with SLR.  If shooting action were my main interest, I certainly wouldn't go mirrorless just yet.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: tino tedaldi on November 20, 2015, 12:08:57 pm
...As regards OMD 5ii I shoot like I used to with Hasselblad  Which was...Use screen to compose. Look at non moving subject to shoot (LIVE view!) bit old fashuioned but works. Optcal viewfinder for fast model work for sure; even if models aren't 'moving' just feels more intuitive. It's  interesting: How do we deliver what we deliver
I wonder sometimes if it just isn't a question of 'retraining' for mirrorless. I suspicion though is that 'fast' working is a few years off

Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Robert Roaldi on November 20, 2015, 02:41:12 pm
The fast lens choice isn't there yet, and may never be, but the AF performance of the Nikon V2 (1 series in general) is beyond belief. The thing nearly knows what to focus on before you do. It is probably just a matter of time before this kind of performance is available in other mirrorless systems. There's a new version of the E-M1 expected soon (E-M2?), be interesting to see what it can do in this regard.

The Nikon 1 series is an outlier, perhaps not up to traditional pro standards for resolution or noise, but may be just fine for lots of uses. It may be interesting for you to buy a 2nd hand version just to experiment with, then resell if you don't like it. You won't lose much money doing this. The bodies and lenses are not expensive. And it's like having next to nothing around your neck.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Hans Kruse on November 21, 2015, 05:32:26 pm
I'm looking at moving to a mirrorless system, though I haven't decided on which one yet.

I wanted to ask about using mirrorless cameras for my two favorite shooting scenarios:  motorsports (primarily road racing) and birds in flight.  Would I be setting myself up for disappointment, or are the current systems good enough to do well in these situations?  What about low light (shooting birds early mornings), or night racing?

Why are considering this? If you are serious then you really should rent a camera for some days and try it out. I assume you are shooting these scenes already using a DSLR so you have the skills to try it out?
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: eronald on November 21, 2015, 06:01:09 pm
J,

 What would be interesting would be to see how good single frames out of one of the better Sony camcorders and the Canon C300II are, if the shutter speed is cranked up. I think that 4K images are probably good enough for a lot of commercial applications. 

Edmund
 

There is no mirrorless that will autofocus like a Nikon D3/D4, or 1dx or even a used Nikon D700 which is essentially a D3 without some features and can be bought used from $600 to $800 refurbished.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-12-1MP-FX-Format-Digital-3-0-Inch/dp/B001BTCSI6

For mirrorless it follows like this for stills:

Panasonic Gh3 ok about 40% keeper rate Gh4 depending on subject 70%.

Olympus Em1 on continuous tracking about 35% the Em5 less.

Though with both the olympus the single focus is so fast that even on a very fast moving subject you can compose then press/shoot/release, press/shoot/release and have excellent results though you will only get 5 frames vs a dslrs 15.

The em-1 is a better camera (panasonic sensor), the em-5 has a better sensor (sony).  Actually the em-5 has a great look to the sensor, but is a small fiddly little camera.

Sony's newest A7SII won't continuous focus well, the A7RII kind of good depending on subject, in stills, but in motion imagery the RII loses one of it's focusing systems.

Samsungs Nx-1 will do great track focus, though drops to 10 bits when you shoot continuous though the camera is being discontinued and has a proprietary mount so whatever you buy, buy a lot because it won't be available soon.

All this talk of mirrorless, but with action and fast production, no mirrorless camera will work like a traditional dslr.  Most are highly menu driven and confusing, (except the Panasonics) most are small and a longer lens just overwhelms them and the lenses with reach just aren't that small.

Honestly weight per weight, dollar per dollar for action the D700 is the best deal going.   If you buy F4 long lenses or zooms, the weight is comparable to any mirrorless and even though it's 12mp, 12mp sharp is better than 50mp out of focus.

Color is a little funky with most Nikons/sony sensors but you can work around that.

I would consider mirrorless to be in the experimental stages right now for anything that moves beyond a fast walk.

Nikon D700
(http://www.russellrutherford.com/sports9/pictures/rr_sports_0084.jpg)

IMO

BC
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: rodgerd on November 24, 2015, 02:32:17 am
Since I've only just this last week picked up an Olympus OM-D I'm in no real position to make too many comments, but I've been pleased with the limited tests of tracking in the form of children running all over the show.  Much more reliable than my low-end Canon DSLRs, for example.  This bloke (http://nzdigital.blogspot.co.nz/2015/10/shooting-street-racing-with-olympus-om.html) does discuss shooting motobike racing with an EM-5.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: cchann on December 02, 2015, 10:03:37 am
Not exactly motorsport, but a telling example of why I don't think mirrorless is there yet for fast moving sports photography.

I shot at a tennis tournament with a Olympus OMD-EM1 with the 40-150mm PRO lens. What I found is that when you press the shutter button, the EVF blacks out for enough time that it is difficult to follow moving subjects. It was fine when the player was rallying at the back of the court, but a net rush was a lottery.

As I also enjoy motorsports photography, cars do not always follow the expected line and in those circumstances, you may be disappointed. If you can, I'd suggest trying to get a sample to try out, maybe by renting it.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: DaveCurtis on December 22, 2015, 02:32:39 am
Ive just bought a A7R2 - my first mirrorless.

I went down to the local estuary the night before last  to test the Sony on BIF. I was using a Canon 400mm f4 DO v1 and a metabones with the latest firmware.

Well my hopes weren't high but I came away rather impressed.  One image was out of focus out of about 50. This was a duck flying towards me and was too close when I took the shot. The focus wasnt as fast on low contrast subjects as my 5D3. However the Sony has a larger AF area and great for tracking subject once locked on. When the 400mm was in the general focus area of the subject the focus was very snappy. However if the lens was pre-focused at minimum distance then it was slow to respond.

I had more issues with the silly menu system >:( than with the AF system

The camera may not be my first choice for BIF however it works rather well.

Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: TonyVentourisPhotography on December 23, 2015, 02:41:18 pm
You can virtually eliminate black out to be as fast or faster than most dslrs.  You just have to configure the camera correctly.  In fact, once set right, shooting and tracking offers virtually no blackout on the e-m1.  Its actually quite easy to track.  All in the deep settings though...and their combinations.

Not exactly motorsport, but a telling example of why I don't think mirrorless is there yet for fast moving sports photography.

I shot at a tennis tournament with a Olympus OMD-EM1 with the 40-150mm PRO lens. What I found is that when you press the shutter button, the EVF blacks out for enough time that it is difficult to follow moving subjects. It was fine when the player was rallying at the back of the court, but a net rush was a lottery.

As I also enjoy motorsports photography, cars do not always follow the expected line and in those circumstances, you may be disappointed. If you can, I'd suggest trying to get a sample to try out, maybe by renting it.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: tino tedaldi on December 24, 2015, 11:01:56 am
..You can shoot action fine with the omd5 mkll  but you need to use a bit more  'anticipation' technique, and engineer the situation more. Not a camera for 'Hoseing" down

I don't think this image (hope its uploaded) would have been any better (and it's earned a few pounds)for being shot on Canon/Nikon.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: peterv on January 02, 2016, 07:09:37 pm
Another vote for the Nikon 1 system. If you're going for smaller magazines and/or web images, resolution and noise-control will be just fine. There's a really great 70-300mm, which gives 180-800mm in FF-terms.

Sort of a Nikon promo by Formula 1 photographers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5n95f-cc0g
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: D Fuller on January 07, 2016, 01:14:03 pm
this new lens ought to serve this use pretty well.
(http://)

http://www.adorama.com/IPCV100400G.html?emailprice=t&utm_source=rsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email010716NewProducts&hotlink=t&svfor=5m
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: OldRoy on January 12, 2016, 05:11:38 am
I have an EM5 and (amongst others) the Panasonic 100-300. I like to photograph birds occasionally. This combination is ideal in terms of reach (could of course be longer) and portability. The AF is abominable, aggravated by the dreadful focus point selection controls. Maybe the later models work a bit better. The idea of  using this combination for anything that actually moves is almost laughable.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: TonyVentourisPhotography on January 13, 2016, 09:22:31 am
I have an EM5 and (amongst others) the Panasonic 100-300. I like to photograph birds occasionally. This combination is ideal in terms of reach (could of course be longer) and portability. The AF is abominable, aggravated by the dreadful focus point selection controls. Maybe the later models work a bit better. The idea of  using this combination for anything that actually moves is almost laughable.

Are you using the rear control pad as a direct focus point selection?  Is this not the same method as a Canon 1D or 5D with joystick?  Between that and using the Focal Point home Custom button, I find I can jump back and fourth between two points instantly and make faster adjustments than my DSRLs ever could. 

I don't know how the 100-300 focuses...but I used the Panasonic 20mm and felt I stepped back in time.  The Olympus Pro lenses would give you a much different experience.  Unfortunately that comes with a price. 
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Zorki5 on January 13, 2016, 11:25:00 am
For first-hand experience/comparison, look no further than this "The Great Mirrorless Camera Autofocus Shootout! (GH4, X-T1, A6000, E-M1)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up8K_xd_iwU

Quote
We decided to cut through all the hype and pit the fastest mirrorless cameras against each other, and we threw in a Nikon D4S, just to make it interesting. To really put these cameras through a stress test we went to Wildrose Motocross Park with a Fuji X-T1, Sony A6000, Olympus OMD E-M1 and Panasonic GH4

As noted by others, though, lenses play big role... So, if it's not just motorsport, but also BIF that you're interested in, a6000 (that came second in the above shootout) is pretty much ruled out. MFT, on the other hand, just became even stronger with Panasonic 100-400 and other new telephotos.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: OldRoy on January 20, 2016, 05:06:58 pm
Are you using the rear control pad as a direct focus point selection?  Is this not the same method as a Canon 1D or 5D with joystick?  Between that and using the Focal Point home Custom button, I find I can jump back and fourth between two points instantly and make faster adjustments than my DSRLs ever could. 

I don't know how the 100-300 focuses...but I used the Panasonic 20mm and felt I stepped back in time.  The Olympus Pro lenses would give you a much different experience.  Unfortunately that comes with a price.
Well a Porsche Carrera and a Trabant both have wheels which are roughly circular (excluding the flat bit at the bottom) but the performance is wildly divergent.

The controls on the EM5 are numb and imprecise, the x/y control set appallingly so. The whole design of the camera is fundamentally dreadful, the firmware spectacularly so. As for the 100-300, it's not that bad at all - the focusing deficiencies are a consequence of the camera's inherently poor CAF and the abysmal af point selection controls. Even getting a focus on a bird sitting still isn't guaranteed; I've become accustomed to losing opportunities much of the time. Obviously the half dozen shorter lenses I have are better, mainly because the subjects shot with them are usually easier to hit.

In comparison with the couple of DSLRs I've owned (I still shoot the antique D700 occasionally) using the EM5 for small moving subjects is an exercise in frustration. Luckily this isn't that important to me. What it has taught me is to ignore the hysteria which accompanies the latest "must have" camera/system that appears on the market. It seems to me that this stuff is usually released as poorly tested and with deficiencies intentionally incorporated in order to maintain the constant churn required by the industry - ably assisted by websites and we participants in forums.
A recent example is the Fuji XPro 2. I almost bought its predecessor, having been sold its  miraculous attributes by several websites (not this one though). The geniuses at Fuji couldn't even incorporate diopter adjustment on this expensive product! I tried one (I wear glasses) and it was unusable. Apparently it was possible to exchange the eyepiece for some Leica unit and....but... I didn't buy one, thank goodness. Now the XPro 2 has -  diopter adjustment! Miraculous. Actually these guys are playing the punters for dimwits. I guess if you can afford to buy anything and everything that comes on the market (as some participants here seem to do regularly) it really doesn't matter; these are just consumer slightly-durables, like socks.

I've withdrawn from participation in this stupid game although I'm still an amused observer.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: SecondFocus on January 20, 2016, 11:04:34 pm
I went with the Fuji X-T1 for other reasons and was optimistic about also using it for aircraft. Not as fast as my Canons have been, with some learning curve and practice I have been getting the job done. I am guessing that there will be more firmware upgrades further improving focus tracking etc. And now they have added a 100-400 lens that I think I will find very useful.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Dan Wells on January 24, 2016, 08:25:04 pm
Is the next generation of Fuji worth a look? The announced (but not yet available) X-Pro2 has supposedly made huge improvements in AF, even over the already acceptable (as good as a lower-end DSLR, although not a pro body) X-T1. If this is the majority of what you shoot, you probably want to wait and take a look at any X-T2 that might come out. It'll have the Pro-2 autofocus (and the amazing sensor), but it'll have a supersize EVF like the X-T1, and maybe a higher frame rate, although the 8 FPS X-Pro 2 is no slouch. Sony conceivably might do something interesting with the A6000 replacement, although there is unlikely to be an interesting long lens (Fuji just put out a new 100-400).
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: b_rubenstein on February 08, 2016, 05:15:09 pm
Based on very positive experience with the AF of the LX100, I bought a GX8. The focus is significantly better for BIF than the E-M1 (rel 4.1 FW).

This is a moderately cropped cropped shot with the GX8 and the P35-100/2.8:
(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1680/24785504332_1961b51fa6_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/DLdbVA)Pelican BW (https://flic.kr/p/DLdbVA) by Bruce Rubenstein (https://www.flickr.com/photos/b_rubenstein/), on Flickr

Even with the Olympus 75-300II, which I've had little success with in the past, came up with this heavily cropped shot:
(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1620/24780636091_d6007d7671_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/DKMeLp)P1000198 (https://flic.kr/p/DKMeLp) by Bruce Rubenstein (https://www.flickr.com/photos/b_rubenstein/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: DaveCurtis on February 15, 2016, 04:23:01 am
My A7R2 + Metabones and Canon 400mm f4 DO work quite well. Tracking is good in good light once locked on. It helps if you manually pre focus in the general area first. Benefits of course are the larger tracking area and good DR.

However pro DSLRs are in a different league. The new 1DX2, Im sure would be amazing.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: BAB on March 07, 2016, 09:35:35 am
Don't understand the OP position on mirror less bodies they have there afvantages for birding and motor sports, I would suggest renting and trying, your biggest issue will be the learning curve, setting up the camera and memorizing the custom buttons. Then adjusting to the particulars of the viewfinder and sequence firing. I've used the Oly and Fuji two body generations withe each no I have a X Pro 2 kit we'll sort of the 16-55 and the 100-400 w/ 1.4 ex I don't know how much faster you would want the camera to focus but if set up properly is VERY FAST. There is a review on Fuji site by one of the foremost Motorsport photographers using the 100-400 at the track you should watch it!

Regards
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: SZRitter on March 11, 2016, 01:22:27 pm
So this popped up today, and I thought it was relevant to the discussion: Superbikes on Mu-43.com (https://www.mu-43.com/threads/superbikes-with-e-m1-40-150pro.83649/)

Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Harald L on March 13, 2016, 09:39:35 pm
I believe that a mirrorless is able to shoot racing cars and birds as well. It's not like a decent DSLR, but it works. Interestingly it's quite comfortable to shoot racing cars by a Fuji X-Pro1 and the 50-200mm with OVF because you see a small frame with a lot of context around which helps you to track the car and shoot as soon it reaches your pre-focussed zone.

(http://v3.harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/dtm-hockenheim/DSCF0020.jpg)


(http://v3.harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/dtm-hockenheim/DSCF0021.jpg)


(http://v3.harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/dtm-hockenheim/DSCF0034.jpg)


And yes, when it comes to catch the atmosphere your tiny mirrorless is unbeatable...

(http://v3.harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/dtm-hockenheim/DST15379.jpg)


(http://v3.harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/dtm-hockenheim/DST15500.jpg)


(http://v3.harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/dtm-hockenheim/DSC16354.jpg)


(http://v3.harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/dtm-hockenheim/DST15506.jpg)

Ah, I've almost forgot the birds...

(http://v3.harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/new-zealand-revised/DSC13482.jpg)


(http://v3.harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/new-zealand-revised/DSC13527.jpg)


So in my opinion it works quite well.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on March 14, 2016, 11:10:14 pm
I would get a D500 and be done with it.

By the time mirrorless gets good enough Nikon will have their own offering.

I don't quite understand why anyone would want to deprive oneself from the amazing focusing abilities of the latest DSLRs on moving subjects in favor or mirrorless at this point in time. Portrait would be a different story thanks to eye recognition though

The sad truth is that there isn't a single all mighty technology at the present time.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on March 15, 2016, 02:26:24 am
Hi,

I would suggest that the problem with mirrorless for shooting action is the viewfinder lag.

Personally I prefer EVF but a good OVF has advantages of it's own. Real time viewing is just one of those.

Best regards
Erik


I would get a D500 and be done with it.

By the time mirrorless gets good enough Nikon will have their own offering.

I don't quite understand why anyone would want to deprive oneself from the amazing focusing abilities of the latest DSLRs on moving subjects in favor or mirrorless at this point in time. Portrait would be a different story thanks to eye recognition though

The sad truth is that there isn't a single all mighty technology at the present time.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on March 15, 2016, 06:10:05 am
I would suggest that the problem with mirrorless for shooting action is the viewfinder lag.

Could be, but at the end of the day what matters most is the success ratio in terms of focused images.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Harald L on March 15, 2016, 01:57:50 pm
...
I would suggest that the problem with mirrorless for shooting action is the viewfinder lag.
...

That's why I love my X-ProX

Harald
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Robert Roaldi on March 15, 2016, 02:24:21 pm

I would suggest that the problem with mirrorless for shooting action is the viewfinder lag.


Currently, it can be a problem for some, to be sure. But TV cameramen have been using real-time LCD displays of golf balls and hockey pucks for decades, so presumably viewfinder lag is merely a question of technology. Lag is already miles better than it used to be, and there are enough people using EVFs already to suggest that their now shorter lag is not a limitation for everyone. I used a Nikon V2 for a while, and once that level of AF speed and EVF lag performance becomes widespread, it will become difficult to ignore or resist, I suspect.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Zorki5 on March 17, 2016, 10:39:31 pm
I would suggest that the problem with mirrorless for shooting action is the viewfinder lag.

Had been addressed recently in Sony a6300.

When you switch to its "no lag" mode (continuous view, always seeing current, not previous frame), you drop shooting rate from 11 to 8 fps, but if you really, really need that OVF "speed", it's a worthwhile trade-off.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Robert Roaldi on March 28, 2016, 11:51:01 am
It's probably too soon for anyone to have first-hand experience with one, but the released specs indicate that the Nikon DL24-500 has similar AF performance as the Nikon 1 line. It might be a compelling choice for many, too bad it's not weather-sealed.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Petrus on March 28, 2016, 04:03:56 pm

I would suggest that the problem with mirrorless for shooting action is the viewfinder lag.


I agree. When D4 came out the first shots I used it for were our 4 dogs (no cats…) playing in snow on our front yard. Several great frames of our Swiss White Shepard jumping after snowballs. Some weeks ago I repeated the shoot with Fujifilm X-T1, which has one of the fastest EVFs, and being mirrorless, should have no shutter lag. Shooting with 56mm short tele, I got no rightly timed/framed shots at all! Late every time. Focus was mostly spot on, but small consolation, that.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on March 29, 2016, 01:54:12 am
Hi,

I don't know about the Fuji, but mirrorless needs electronic first curtain to reduce shutter lag. Without EFCS the shutter needs to be cocked before exposure.

Best regards
Erik


I agree. When D4 came out the first shots I used it for were our 4 dogs (no cats…) playing in snow on our front yard. Several great frames of our Swiss White Shepard jumping after snowballs. Some weeks ago I repeated the shoot with Fujifilm X-T1, which has one of the fastest EVFs, and being mirrorless, should have no shutter lag. Shooting with 56mm short tele, I got no rightly timed/framed shots at all! Late every time. Focus was mostly spot on, but small consolation, that.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Petrus on March 29, 2016, 02:33:43 am
Presumably X-T1 would fire faster with no mirror to go out of the way. But there is enough lag to make fast jumps hard to catch. Disappointing anyway.
Title: Re: Mirrorless for motorsports and birds in flight?
Post by: Jason DiMichele on March 31, 2016, 12:39:56 pm
I second this.

If people managed to make pictures of birds and racing cars back when film cameras didn't have autofocus at all, I'm sure you can manage to get good pictures with the latest gen mirrorless systems.

I third this. The Panasonic Lumix GX8 (I use this as an example because I am very familiar with it) in combination with the 35-100, new Leica/Panny 100-400 (and some other lenses) are a killer combination. The focus is fast and tracking very accurate. I don't have anything on my website currently of the birds in flight but my Facebook profile has some on it. I can also post some here if interested.

Cheers,
Jay