Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: sailronin on November 04, 2015, 10:15:11 pm

Title: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: sailronin on November 04, 2015, 10:15:11 pm
(https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5756/22160932133_a3e4cbf805_b.jpg)

Hasselblad Xpan w/30mm on Fuji ISO 400 print film
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 04, 2015, 10:54:33 pm
Nice rendering, not seen too often.
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: sailronin on November 05, 2015, 12:11:33 am
Thank you Slobodan,


Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on November 05, 2015, 04:15:01 am
What a great otherworldly photo.
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: earlybird on November 05, 2015, 07:14:48 am
A few weeks ago I visited Prismatic Springs several times to make a photo and all I ever saw was a cloud of steam.

It's nice to see some of the spring.
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: francois on November 05, 2015, 07:21:15 am
The shot is very uncommon and a fresh take on a classical location.
Well done!
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: stamper on November 05, 2015, 09:07:50 am
I have never seen anything like this before. Spectacular!
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: nma on November 05, 2015, 12:40:18 pm
A wonderful image, well seen. Everything about the composition comes together in a positive fashion, the limited palette, the alternating colors, the hints of detail, the aspect ratio, on and on.
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: sailronin on November 07, 2015, 10:36:51 am
Thank you  Paulo, Stamper, NMA, Francois,and Earlybird.

It's an "other worldly" location and I can't wait to return in the spring.

Dave
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: framah on November 07, 2015, 01:48:32 pm
Is Prismatic Geyser the same as Prismatic Lake?
I have an old glasss slide from around 1908 of Prismatic Lake.

Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: sailronin on November 11, 2015, 10:01:37 am
It may well be "Prismatic Lake", I think they call it a spring now but could be the place.
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 11, 2015, 10:32:58 am
Isn't the official name the Grand Prismatic Spring?
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: francois on November 13, 2015, 03:37:40 am
Isn't the official name the Grand Prismatic Spring?

Yes, it is. See here (http://www.nps.gov/features/yell/ofvec/exhibits/treasures/thermals/hotspring/grandprismatic.htm).
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: NancyP on November 13, 2015, 02:37:54 pm
I really like this, it is different from the usual take.

An Ode to Thermus aquaticus!   (heat-loving bacterium, first harvested at Yellowstone, that revolutionized biotechnology - its DNA-making enzyme is the main ingredient in the PCR polymerase chain reaction.
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: sailronin on November 20, 2015, 12:43:22 pm
Thank you Nancy and also about the bacterium information.  Truly an amazing life form.
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: framah on November 20, 2015, 01:40:32 pm
Hi Dave... I really love your image, the colors are amazing.

I mentioned that I had an old glass slide and here it is:

Just thought you'd get a kick out of seeing it.


(http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/framah/Prismatic%20Lake%20small%20for%20web%20copy_zpsdvfzvsom.jpg) (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/framah/media/Prismatic%20Lake%20small%20for%20web%20copy_zpsdvfzvsom.jpg.html)

Still not sure if it is the same place.
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: MattBurt on November 20, 2015, 02:54:46 pm
What a great otherworldly photo.

Otherworldly was the first adjective I thought of. Agreed!
Title: Re: Prismatic geyser, Yellowstone
Post by: Mjean on November 20, 2015, 03:22:05 pm
Stunning!