Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: dreed on November 04, 2015, 06:46:13 am
-
Rupert Murdoch laid off National Geopgraphic photographers (http://reverbpress.com/business/rupert-murdoch-national-geographic-layoffs/)
-
Selfies from Kilimanjaro is the new order of the day I should imagine. What was I saying about publishers not valuing editorial content a few days back?
-
Must be part of that free market creative destruction we keep hearing about. I wonder what creative synergies will be unleashed.
-
When you realise what became of the Sunday Times, don't hold your breath waiting for any miracles of creative journalism.
FWIW I think the attraction for him lies in the tv aspect; magazines, really?
Rob C
-
The sooner he's shuffled off this mortal coil, the better for news media in the UK & the US. He's nothing but a blight on the world of journalism
-
Another article (https://nppa.org/node/72817) about the subject.
-
The sooner he's shuffled off this mortal coil, the better for news media in the UK & the US. He's nothing but a blight on the world of journalism
It is possible to disagree with his business methods without wishing him dead, of course.
Jeremy
-
While he is alive his business interests will continue. Unfortunately when he breathes his last his son will carry on, probably in the same vein. However they are a dying breed and in the future there is hope for an enlightened media?
-
It is possible to disagree with his business methods without wishing him dead, of course.
Jeremy
It is somewhat regrettable that News International have not always felt the need to apply such scruples -
in July 2011 it was revealed that the phones of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, relatives of deceased British soldiers, and victims of the 7 July 2005 London bombings had also been hacked.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_International_phone_hacking_scandal
-
I can't believe that National Geographic has some how ended up in the hands of Fox.
It disgusts me.
The men that made this deal, probably only to line the pockets of a very few, are criminals IMHO and I wouldn't piss on them or their like if they caught fire.
Fox is everything we should all be opposed to in media and one of the great scourges on the face of the earth.
Their news is so stupid it's criminal and I think anyone that watches it needs to retrospectively abort themselves to lift the averages of the human gene pool.
Shame.
-
Admirable stands, from myself included, but did many of us actually buy the thing, or just flick through it in a state of nervous suspension at the dentist's?
Speaking personally, after BBC tv's many and varied Nature offerings, mostly via BBC's Bristol studios, there's little left in the genre to excite anymore, least of all on paper. Like so much else that soared with the eagles in print, I think the day has been lost to the medium of film/video, which simply does it so, so much better.
A real day for tears would be if the BBC is emasculated to political cant, and quality programming is left to the tender mercies of business.
Rob C
-
Admirable stands, from myself included, but did many of us actually buy the thing, or just flick through it in a state of nervous suspension at the dentist's?
Speaking personally, after BBC tv's many and varied Nature offerings, mostly via BBC's Bristol studios, there's little left in the genre to excite anymore, least of all on paper. Like so much else that soared with the eagles in print, I think the day has been lost to the medium of film/video, which simply does it so, so much better.
A real day for tears would be if the BBC is emasculated to political cant, and quality programming is left to the tender mercies of business.
Rob C
I was about to say the same... it is easy to criticize, but do people actually buy the magazine? Speaking for myself, I bought their special series or something about the great names of Physics, it was a series featuring Einstein, Newton, et al.
-
... However they are a dying breed...
Exactly, stamper! For once we agree on something... printer press is indeed a dying breed. Oh, you meant...never mind.
The fact they had to offer themselves for sale indicates they were already in trouble. The fact they accepted the offer from their "sworn enemy" indicates just how deep the trouble was.
If all of you who now shed crocodile tears and lament the end of the world at the hands of greedy capitalists instead simply bought the damn thing regularly or subscribed, there would be nothing to lament today. But hey, it is indeed much easier to just blame and hate somebody else.
-
Well, to be fair, no one was criticizing capitalists, just Murdoch.
-
Well, to be fair, no one was criticizing capitalists, just Murdoch.
Say that in London tonight.
Rob C
-
It is somewhat regrettable that News International have not always felt the need to apply such scruples -
in July 2011 it was revealed that the phones of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, relatives of deceased British soldiers, and victims of the 7 July 2005 London bombings had also been hacked.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_International_phone_hacking_scandal
What's the relevance? Nobody suggests News International, or Murdoch, murdered anyone or wanted anyone dead.
Jeremy
-
Gutter journalism is decried in the UK more than in the US. Of course, readers in both countries consume gutter journalism. The UK "good and great" are more likely to complain about the "low class" nature of gutter journalism.
-
What's the relevance? Nobody suggests News International, or Murdoch, murdered anyone or wanted anyone dead.
Jeremy
It's there in the post if you look for it.
-
... Fox is everything we should all be opposed to in media and one of the great scourges on the face of the earth.
Their news is so stupid it's criminal and I think anyone that watches it needs to retrospectively abort themselves to lift the averages of the human gene pool...
So you are saying that having a freedom of speech and the right to have a different opinion and express it is "one of the great scourges on the face of the earth"?
As for the action suggested for "anyone that watches Fox"... funny, I have the same thought about PC liberals (and I don't even watch Fox) ;)
-
I don't want to speak for the other poster but I think he was only saying that bad journalism is a scourge, not that freedom of expression is a scourge. At least, that's how I read his comments.
-
I don't want to speak for the other poster but I think he was only saying that bad journalism is a scourge, not that freedom of expression is a scourge. At least, that's how I read his comments.
But of course, Robert, assuming that "bad journalism" is the one that disagrees with our views, and the "good" one reflects them. ;) Freedom of expression assumes, however, that bad and wrong things will inevitably be said.
-
I don't want to speak for the other poster but I think he was only saying that bad journalism is a scourge, not that freedom of expression is a scourge. At least, that's how I read his comments.
Freedom of expression is important and I'm always happy to debate politics, left right or centre, with people who can make an intelligent case for their views.
Fox news isn't that. It's stupidity delivered in a news like format for morons.
They're recent suggestion that we're not free in Australia because of our gun laws left me speechless and that doesn't happen often. ;D
-
Although geography is my passion and my work, for many years I did not subscribe to NG. It was too American-centric for my taste. There's nothing inherently wrong with an American "national" magazine being Ameri-centric, it's just not what I wanted from articles about Inner Mongolia or sub-Saharan Africa.
However, last year I subscribed to the iPad version and was blown out of the water by the sheer quality of production. There have also been some very good articles over the last year.
However, I'm going to vote with my wallet and not support Mr Murdoch. The whole concept of what NG stood for as a society dedicated to science, research and "inspiring people to care for the planet since 1888" now sounds farcical with a narrowed-minded capitalist running the show. Whatever NGS thinks, NGS is the magazine and the magazine is the NGS. The two cannot be divorced. Capitalism can solve many problems, caring for the planet is not one of them!
-
However, I'm going to vote with my wallet and not support Mr Murdoch. The whole concept of what NG stood for as a society dedicated to science, research and "inspiring people to care for the planet since 1888" now sounds farcical with a narrowed-minded capitalist running the show. Whatever NGS thinks, NGS is the magazine and the magazine is the NGS. The two cannot be divorced. Capitalism can solve many problems, caring for the planet is not one of them!
8)
-
Good journalism is journalism that supports my viewpoint.
-
I almost wish that NatGeo magazine would die a dignified death instead of continuing in what ever form Rupert will change it to.
-
Good journalism is journalism that supports my viewpoint.
Now that's something I can agree with 100%!
That knowledge has never let me down.
;-)
Rob C
-
The National Geographic Society headquarters in Washington, D. C. has been a good place to visit for photographic exhibits, both free and paid. (I paid to see some, and shopped at the gift store, so do not feel completely guilty about not putting my money where my mouth is.)
I wonder how well it will be able to support such exhibits, and fund the photographers and the photography behind them? Maybe other revenue sources have become more important to them than the ink-on-paper product.
If you are going to boycott Murdoch's magazine, maybe fund NGS's support of nature photography the newer way: increase the add revenues at its website by visiting it at http://www.nationalgeographic.com
-
Does anyone know (or have a link to) the magazine's subscription numbers or their membership numbers?
Edit:
Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_magazines_by_circulation#United_States) shows over 4,000,000 subscribers as of 2013, and the ninth largest magazine in the USA. Perhaps it's a trophy for News Corp. and the publisher was offered a price they couldn't refuse.
-
I remember the song, "Video Killed the Radio Star".
The internet has killed magazines. I haven't bought a magazine or newspaper for four years. One of Rupert's offshoots even gave away free newspapers for me to read on the way home from work.
Cheers,
-
I remember the song, "Video Killed the Radio Star".
The internet has killed magazines. I haven't bought a magazine or newspaper for four years. One of Rupert's offshoots even gave away free newspapers for me to read on the way home from work.
Cheers,
On the other hand I came across an online bike magazine which seemed to be pretty good. The photography was above the level you'd normally expect and what text I read seemed to be interesting as well, but I just can't be bothered to peer into a screen all the time, I find it hard work, maybe it's my eyes, age or poor old worn out brain cell. Whatever, I'd still much prefer the hardcopy of a magazine to settle down with.
It's my contention that the internet is killing an informative media, itself included, not just magazines.
-
I remember the song, "Video Killed the Radio Star".
The internet has killed magazines. I haven't bought a magazine or newspaper for four years. One of Rupert's offshoots even gave away free newspapers for me to read on the way home from work.
Cheers,
tom brown
...........................................................................................
Well, I used to think that too, but now I'm not so sure. Still see a lot of them up on the kiosks here, but closer inspection reveals them to be crap. Perhaps they always were?
As I wasn't a great magazine buyer, beyond the photographic scenario which, in my case, included fashion magazines, perhaps my view has been educated by that narrow range, where I do currently see less variety of style, and a general 'look' common to everything, which is pretty depressing.
Perhaps the greatest culture shock was seeing Vogue go from a very clean, unclutterd cover philosophy to joining the herd and putting all its wares up for inspection, destroying the cover picture along with the souls of their design staff (I trust!). Clutter, clutter, clutter.
Also, as one ages, there's possibly less interest in buying magazines because time to read them isn't that easy to find; themes have been repeated time and time again; cost starts to raise its head too, and the sense of value for money is ever more inclined to whisper pass!
Rob C
-
Who has time to read magazines when I'm so busy on photo forums. Now that i think of it, i should be out shooting and processing more photos.
-
The sooner he's shuffled off this mortal coil, the better for news media in the UK & the US. He's nothing but a blight on the world of journalism
Many people in Australia are quite pleased that Rupert became a US citizen—it makes it that much easier to disclaim him.
-
As I understand it: Good journalism is accurate, well written, fair/balanced reportage. `Good' editorial is writing that either reflects my values or causes me to reflect on them. Fox News is, perhaps, good for a laugh!