Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 03, 2015, 06:20:46 pm

Title: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 03, 2015, 06:20:46 pm
Well, folks, while LuLa was busy working on its forum software, I decided to take a break and work on my own website:

slobodanblagojevic.com (http://www.slobodanblagojevic.com)

Feel free to critique. All kind of comments, including negative (especially negative) are welcome.

Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: Arlen on November 03, 2015, 07:53:38 pm
Stunning photographs, Slobodan, and I recognize some you've posted here. A couple of thoughts about the website itself. I'm among those who are not fans of Adobe Flash. But at least the implementation on your home page loads pretty quickly, and at any rate it's easy to get to the galleries where Flash is not an issue. All of the galleries opened well for me, except the Nature one. There, clicking on any of the initial thumbnails results in endless (or at least very long) spinning wheels instead of loading the images. It appears there may be a coding mistake in that one; in the upper left it shows Home»Nature»Nature instead of just Home»Nature.
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: luxborealis on November 03, 2015, 08:02:14 pm
Beautiful website; stunning photographs. Well-presented, Slobodan.
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: BobDavid on November 03, 2015, 08:09:53 pm
Nice indeed.
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 03, 2015, 08:27:43 pm
... All of the galleries opened well for me, except the Nature one. There, clicking on any of the initial thumbnails results in endless (or at least very long) spinning wheels instead of loading the images. It appears there may be a coding mistake in that one; in the upper left it shows Home»Nature»Nature instead of just Home»Nature.

Thanks, Arlen.

Yes, indeed, I also noticed that some galleries do open slowly on the first visit, though it is not related to any particular gallery. On repeated visits, the issue should go away. As for the menu "bread crumbs," there is no mistake, it means that when I was setting up the menu structure, I intended to subdivide the Nature gallery in the future into, say, "Landscapes," "Animals" etc. In which case the "Nature" would become "All Nature," just like "Cities" already has "All Cities," and then "Chicago," "New York" etc. If that proves to be a problem, I'll rename it.

Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: Rob C on November 04, 2015, 06:31:02 am
Beautiful Slobodan; you should have done this years ago.

Time to pull out that olde worlde 500 Series again? Your heart seems to be there...

Rob
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: Rory on November 04, 2015, 08:28:27 am
Looks elegant Slobodan.  The Nature - Nature thing is disconcerting.  While going through Nature the Bass Harbour Lighthouse image took a couple of minutes to open and I couldn't navigate away until it did.  It looks like you are using Zenfolio, which has been plagued with terrible performance lately.

It's a subjective thing but on your home page I would prefer the images to all have the same aspect ratio and orientation.  Also, your beautiful images deserve just a titch longer viewing time in the slideshow.  I would add another second.
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: PeterAit on November 04, 2015, 08:39:45 am
Well, folks, while LuLa was busy working on its forum software, I decided to take a break and work on my own website:

slobodanblagojevic.com (http://www.slobodanblagojevic.com)

Feel free to critique. All kind of comments, including negative (especially negative) are welcome.

I particularly enjoyed your Chicago portfolio because I just came back from my first visit to Chicago and had a blast photographing the buildings.

BTW, on your home page the right half was taken up by a blank gray square, the result of my having Flash blocked. I think a lot of people are blocking Flash to prevent Facebook and other sites from automatically playing ads and cat videos, perhaps there's another way to display your slide show?
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: RSL on November 04, 2015, 09:01:39 am
Great stuff, Slobodan. Good to have you back on LuLa too.
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: Arlen on November 04, 2015, 10:22:51 am
BTW, on your home page the right half was taken up by a blank gray square, the result of my having Flash blocked. I think a lot of people are blocking Flash to prevent Facebook and other sites from automatically playing ads and cat videos, perhaps there's another way to display your slide show?

I'm one of those that has Flash blocked by default. But I made an exception for Slobodan's site.
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: Kevin Raber on November 04, 2015, 10:42:32 am
Nicely done and glad to have you back.  Your new site really does a nice job of showing off your work.  I'll be in Chicago in a few weeks.  I'll get in touch with you before my visit.
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 04, 2015, 12:19:30 pm
Looks elegant Slobodan.  The Nature - Nature thing is disconcerting.  While going through Nature the Bass Harbour Lighthouse image took a couple of minutes to open and I couldn't navigate away until it did.  It looks like you are using Zenfolio, which has been plagued with terrible performance lately.

It's a subjective thing but on your home page I would prefer the images to all have the same aspect ratio and orientation.  Also, your beautiful images deserve just a titch longer viewing time in the slideshow.  I would add another second.

Thanks, Rory. As I said, there shouldn't be anything special about Nature gallery, as it is done in exactly the same fashion as others. And yes, it is Zenfoiio behind it, so you are probably right about their recent performance.

Aspect ratio and orientation... I hear you. It is, however, a compromise between smooth transitions based on color, tonality and subject and the ones based on aspect ratio and orientation. Ideally, I'd like everything as a square, but not every image works like that. After your comment, I did rearrange the order a bit, so that those transitions are less abrupt.

The intro show lasts approximately 60 seconds, and I was afraid that would be too long, given our short attention-span culture. I am glad you stuck around and enjoyed it that long. Thanks again.

Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 04, 2015, 02:21:28 pm
Well, folks, while LuLa was busy working on its forum software, I decided to take a break and work on my own website:

Welcome back, Slobodan. Fantastic photos on your site (I went straight to the B&W gallery, which is excellent), and the slow loading problem seems very much alleviated.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: David Eckels on November 04, 2015, 03:31:43 pm
Kudos. It's on my "Favorites" list, now.
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: Bob_B on November 05, 2015, 10:18:21 am
If there's such a thing as webpage envy, I suddenly developed a bad case of it. Slobodan, your photos are first-rate and your webpage design is striking yet simple. Kudos, well done.
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: jjj on November 05, 2015, 03:11:02 pm
Main thing I'd say is flash is well on it's way out now and I get an ugly hole where flashblocker hides your initial slideshow.
Not sure why that bit is using flash as the other sections do not seem to. Unless you enable the fullscreen slideshow button, which is a curious combination of tools.
Main reason I'm binning my old folio site is because the slideshow is flash based. Shame as it does what I need it to do very well.

Good clean site which lets the photos be the centre of attention and I like the fact you can go through images in slideshow using the arrow keys, so much better than using a mouse.
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 05, 2015, 03:31:57 pm
Main thing I'd say is flash is well on it's way out now and I get an ugly hole where flashblocker hides your initial slideshow.
Not sure why that bit is using flash as the other sections do not seem to...

According to Zenfolio:

Quote
... site is mostly built on HTML, HTML 5 and Javascript. Though some of the slideshows and the videos do use Adobe Flash. Note that on iPhones and iPads, the Flash slideshow is converted into HTML so that your slideshow will function across mobile browsing platforms.
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: jjj on November 05, 2015, 03:42:21 pm
If they are prepared to make mobile versions HTML only, why not the desktop site?

Flash was a brilliant tool for web design, it's a shame Apple hated it and did everything they could to kill it.
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 05, 2015, 03:52:57 pm
If they are prepared to make mobile versions HTML only, why not the desktop site?...

From what I understand, flash works just fine on desktops (and even on my iMac), unless you purposefully block it.
Title: Re: Back to LuLa, with my new web site
Post by: jjj on November 05, 2015, 04:05:50 pm
It often gets blocked on Macs, because it can slow computer/browser down horribly. I like Flash, but because Apple make it hard for it to work properly on their platform, they have made people hate Flash. Rather the fact Apple are the main reason for it sucking on OSX. Never had an issue with it on Windows, but on OSX....