Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: brianrybolt on November 03, 2015, 08:54:12 am

Title: Installing Sony A7r II firmware update 2.0
Post by: brianrybolt on November 03, 2015, 08:54:12 am
I’m running an iMac OS 10.10.5.  I downloaded the latest Sony firmware update (2.0) and can not for the life of me get it into the camera.  I have been following the instructions assiduously as far as I can tell.  All applications closed down, camera on Mass Storage mode, full battery and using Sony’s USB cord. 

I cannot get further than “connect the camera and the computer”.  I get an error message that says the Software Updater cannot find the  camera (see attachment).  I checked my system and the computer sees the camera.  I’ve tried doing it four times but no luck.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Title: Re: Installing Sony A7r II firmware update 2.0
Post by: Manoli on November 03, 2015, 09:21:08 am
Brian,

Not 100% sure - you'll need to re-read the instruction page, it's in there somewhere .
For OS X you need to run a .dmg file, DL100_1411.dmg before commencing the firmware upgrade.
Title: Re: Installing Sony A7r II firmware update 2.0
Post by: brianrybolt on November 03, 2015, 09:37:26 am
Brian,

Not 100% sure - you'll need to re-read the instruction page, it's in there somewhere .
For OS X you need to run a .dmg file, DL100_1411.dmg before commencing the firmware upgrade.

Hello Manoli, From what I've read the quoted file (patch?) you've referred to is not needed for the A7r II.  Sony doesn't mention it nor does BrianSmith of www.briansmith.com. 
If I do try it where is it located.
Thanks,  Brian
Title: Re: Installing Sony A7r II firmware update 2.0
Post by: Manoli on November 03, 2015, 09:47:40 am
Brian,

Yes, it looks as though you're correct - the A7rM2 isn't listed.
FYG, two links below:
https://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=10143&os_id=99&SMB=YES
http://briansmith.com/sony-firmware-update-patch-for-mac-os-10-10-yosemite-users/

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

M

Edit:
I'm not sure that it's NOT required.
Brian Smith says 'not' for the M2 versions but see this page from Sony support, re installing the driverloader kernel extension, which contradicts him.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-dime/sony-sel-firmware-update-ver02_2015-mac/ILCE-7M2

Install driverloader kernel extension
This step is only required if your computer is running Mac OS X 10.10 (or later). In such case a preparatory application need to be run before performing firmware update. If your computer is running Mac OS X 10.9 or lower, it is not needed to perform this and you can directly go the next step "Install the software"...
Title: Re: Installing Sony A7r II firmware update 2.0
Post by: brianrybolt on November 03, 2015, 12:41:13 pm
Brian,

Yes, it looks as though you're correct - the A7rM2 isn't listed.
FYG, two links below:
https://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=10143&os_id=99&SMB=YES
http://briansmith.com/sony-firmware-update-patch-for-mac-os-10-10-yosemite-users/

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

M

Edit:
I'm not sure that it's NOT required.
Brian Smith says 'not' for the M2 versions but see this page from Sony support, re installing the driverloader kernel extension, which contradicts him.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-dime/sony-sel-firmware-update-ver02_2015-mac/ILCE-7M2

Install driverloader kernel extension
This step is only required if your computer is running Mac OS X 10.10 (or later). In such case a preparatory application need to be run before performing firmware update. If your computer is running Mac OS X 10.9 or lower, it is not needed to perform this and you can directly go the next step "Install the software"...


Hello again,
I did download and install .dmg file, DL100_1411.dmg and then tried installing the firmware file but it did not work.  Same notice came on screen "System Software Updater"

Someone out there must know??
Title: Re: Installing Sony A7r II firmware update 2.0
Post by: chrismuc on November 03, 2015, 12:51:45 pm
Hi Brian.
I updated the firmware of my A7RII using OSX 10.9.5 and Update_ILCE7RM2V200.dmg.
Did you connect the camera by USB and choose in the camera menu "select [USB connection] from [Setup] in the camera's menu screen and did you verify that the connection method is set to [Mass Storage]?
Otherwise the camera is not recognized by the updater.
Good luck, Christoph
Title: Re: Installing Sony A7r II firmware update 2.0
Post by: chrismuc on November 03, 2015, 12:55:09 pm
btw., I found one issue using FM 2.0 w/ camera + battery grip

Sometimes the camera stops and shows an alert like "No original battery found. Change and restart."
But I use the original Sony batteries ...
Title: Re: Installing Sony A7r II firmware update 2.0
Post by: Manoli on November 03, 2015, 01:05:09 pm
Brian - You're not connecting via a USB hub, are you ?
Title: Re: Installing Sony A7r II firmware update 2.0
Post by: brianrybolt on November 03, 2015, 01:19:00 pm
Hello,  I am connecting to a USB port on my computer.  Not using a grip & have it on USB - Mass Storage.  Battery is at 100% charge.  Thanks for the input.
Title: Re: Installing Sony A7r II firmware update 2.0
Post by: brianrybolt on November 03, 2015, 03:26:33 pm
Hooray I finally updated the firmware.  I don't know what was going on but I tried going through the process using my Mac Bk Pro and it worked.  Now I have to find out why it wouldn't take using my iMac.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Brian