Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: KMRennie on November 01, 2015, 02:45:00 pm
-
Not the most exciting composition. Shot this morning on Derwentwater, Cumbria, England. If anyone wants to visit the Lake District for the Autumn leaves now's the time.
Ken
-
Perfect light. Nice.
-
Not the most exciting composition. Shot this morning on Derwentwater, Cumbria, England. If anyone wants to visit the Lake District for the Autumn leaves now's the time.
Ken
Based on that description I nearly skipped this post - boy am I glad I didn't!
I am not sure why you are deprecating this image because it is fabulous!
You have really captured a mood - a sense of the season here - perfectly encapsulated.
That little wooded island highlighted by the sun with the darker hills in the background, then the beautiful reflections in the foreground - sumptuous.
Really, if you have any other "deprecated" images please post them!
Thank you for a very pleasurable experience.
Tony Jay
-
The light in your first photo is out of this world. "No fair" were the first words out of my mouth when I viewed your post, as I just spent a good portion of the afternoon to dusk trying to find such beautiful light. And, now let me talk about composition... ;) Thanks for posting.
-
Oops previous post image was in ProPhoto here it is in sRGB. Just to make more people jealous. It was warm enough for shirt sleeves. 30 miles away at my home it was cold, dull and overcast all day.
Ken
-
I can now see why the original photo seemed tightly cropped. It's gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but in a place with wide open skies, the ordinal post seemed tight.
It appears from this second image, there is room to release the top crop so it is higher, without introducing sky. To me, that would place the island slightly lower, giving it more room to breathe.
With light like that, though, whose complaining!
-
3o miles from the Lakes District?!!! As Bob so eloquently stated, No Fair!!!
Trying to reduce such vast beauty to it's essential essences would be a life work for me. (No smiley for my envy)
Please keep us in the loop of all weathers and atmospheres from behind your eye.
-
I actually like the light in pro photo more than in sRGB. I only convert when sending off to a print house and of late, only a few cannot print directly from pro photo
-
Stunningly beautiful. I prefer the light in the first but I wonder if the framing isn't a little bottom-heavy.
Jeremy
-
Beautiful I prefer the second version I was in Coniston for a week 2 weeks ago and the colours were only just starting.
-
I am a little gobsmacked by the comments. I returned today and a bank of heavy mist shrouded the lake after about 20 minutes of shooting so a wasted journey apart from the joy of being outdoors. Up for a dawn shoot tomorrow which is supposed to be the last good day for photography.
I am unsure about the cropping and whether to keep the sky in or whether it grabs your eye and propels it upwards. The light was changing by the second. I was shooting bracketed exposures and the degree of sunlight on the island was changing visibly between the shots. The last 2 posts were processed on my laptop as I was watching the rugby. This time on a wide gamut monitor with no distractions. I hope that you like this one.
Ken
-
Oh yes!
I love the interplay of light and shadow here.
Arguably an even better composition than the original post.
The reflections off the water add plenty here.
A wonderfully evocative scene from the golden light to the dark brooding clouds!
Congratulations again.
Tony Jay
-
The third one wins! I felt that the first two lacked the saturation/contrast/tone that is imo needed for a successful autumn rendering. Previous posters seemed to like the subdued tones. Not me!
-
+1
-
Another from the first morning shooting here. I returned over the next 2 days but heavy mist reduced the visibility to below 100metres. I did get a few from Bassenthwaite, the next lake down the valley.
All comments welcome
Ken
-
Lacking tone/contrast/saturation? If someone prefers subdued tone/contrast/saturation then why wait to autumn to shoot the scene? It can be shot at any time of the year. :(
-
I don't need to wait until Autumn to produce images that lack tone, contrast and saturation I can produce them all year round and no doubt some/ many of my posts here attest to that. I may have to dust off the beginners guide to HDR to give my landscapes some life. Either that or look outside at the world which all too often lacks tone, contrast and saturation.
Ken
-
You definitely do not need HDR to give life to landscapes. If the autumn colours lacked tone/contrast/saturation then you possibly missed the best time for shooting the autumn colours??? Nothing wrong with taking the subdued colours then using PS to add vibrancy. Or do you aim to keep your scenes as "realistic" as possible which means you have to be in the right place at the right time. Speaking from experience that is difficult. For three or four years I visited Perthshire to shoot the autumn colours which can be spectacular but almost always need to add some vibrancy.