Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Arlen on October 27, 2015, 08:57:58 pm

Title: Wet Rocks
Post by: Arlen on October 27, 2015, 08:57:58 pm
A glimpse into the McKenzie River. I never get tired of looking into its rushing waters. No matter how many times you shoot it, even without moving the camera, no two images are ever the same.

Any thoughts you care to share will be appreciated.



(http://www.pbase.com/art1/image/161725539/original.jpg)
Title: Re: Wet Rocks
Post by: John R on October 27, 2015, 11:05:44 pm
This image reminds me of an angel fish but with colours. What makes it work IMO, is that all the elements create a look which is both abstract and realistic. The movement of the water helps the eye circulate through the yellow, blue, green and orange highlights. Really nice. I keep thinking I should give up the DSLR and get a mirrorless camera.

JR
Title: Re: Wet Rocks
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 28, 2015, 12:16:08 am
John put it very well.
I like it too, for much the same reasons.
Title: Re: Wet Rocks
Post by: Arlen on October 28, 2015, 03:08:13 pm
Thanks John and Eric for your thoughtful comments. I have to admit that I'm a sucker for clear flowing rivers with cobble bottoms, confirmed by the fact that I picked a prime example to live beside. So though I'm enthralled by the patterns of color, tone and movement they present, I see them through a biased lens, and suspect they are not everyone's cup of tea.
Title: Re: Wet Rocks
Post by: Rob C on October 29, 2015, 10:45:41 am
Really attractive set of colours; damned nice example of the river genre, especially as there are no little blurred falls!

(Which thought reminds me that I just dropped a bundle buying a VND filter which, it turns out, gives you crosses if used at its maximum potency... clever. And you thought only camera companies screwed you!)

Rob C