Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Arlen on October 18, 2015, 08:52:36 pm

Title: Pioneers: GTNP
Post by: Arlen on October 18, 2015, 08:52:36 pm
This is another image from my Grand Teton National Park trip in August, towards the end of the smoky era.

Having heard rumors that this may be one of the most photographed buildings in America, I considered moving on without clicking the shutter. Does the sea of related images need my additional drop? Probably not, but the passing clouds sang their siren song, and resistance was futile. Thus my humble rendition, for your consideration.



(http://www.pbase.com/art1/image/161510515/original.jpg)
Title: Re: Pioneers: GTNP
Post by: John R on October 18, 2015, 09:08:49 pm
Excellent rendition, Arlen. The arrangement of clouds is mimicked in the shape of house. And BW is magical. I feel the same way when photographing "postcard" images. Nevertheless, if something interesting comes along, weather clouds, light, fog, I will try to photograph the 'cliche' image. So to my mind, your image is no longer cliche.

JR
Title: Re: Pioneers: GTNP
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 18, 2015, 09:42:51 pm
I agree completely with John.
Title: Re: Pioneers: GTNP
Post by: mseawell on October 18, 2015, 09:59:06 pm
Ditto! Great image.

Mark
Title: Re: Pioneers: GTNP
Post by: marcgoldring on October 19, 2015, 06:10:16 am
Wonderful! Somehow it feels both active and restful at the same time. Quite a feat!!

Marco
Title: Re: Pioneers: GTNP
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 19, 2015, 06:14:07 am
It's really good. The slight mistiness of the background mountains makes the barn stand out, and your b&w conversion is spot on.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Pioneers: GTNP
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on October 19, 2015, 06:43:18 am
Good work, it is a fine image.
Title: Re: Pioneers: GTNP
Post by: Tony Jay on October 19, 2015, 07:57:26 am
Lovely image!

There really has been a lot of great images posted recently and some of the B&W's have been the standouts.
Viewing these images has given me a lot pleasure and a lot to think about.
I feel quite privileged really - thank you to all for your spectacular contributions!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Pioneers: GTNP
Post by: Shakyphoto (Slim) on October 19, 2015, 09:54:01 am
Not every image has to be original, and I haven't seen this before.  Very good mage.
Title: Re: Pioneers: GTNP
Post by: Bob_B on October 19, 2015, 10:14:32 am
Lovely image!

There really has been a lot of great images posted recently and some of the B&W's have been the standouts.
Viewing these images has given me a lot pleasure and a lot to think about.
I feel quite privileged really - thank you to all for your spectacular contributions!

Tony Jay

+1, I couldn't agree more!
Title: Re: Pioneers: GTNP
Post by: Colorado David on October 19, 2015, 10:48:55 am
I am familiar with this barn at Grand Teton although I've never been there to shoot.  I have one nit to pick with this otherwise excellent image. Please understand that I have no idea what conditions you were working under or if this possibility existed.  The one thing is the peak coming out of the barn roof that is not connected to the rest of the mountains.  If you could have gained a little elevation enough to have connected that peak to the rest it would improve the image in my view.  Otherwise it is an excellent image and very striking in monochrome.
Title: Re: Pioneers: GTNP
Post by: Arlen on October 19, 2015, 03:05:29 pm
Well with all your encouraging comments, you folks have convinced me that I made the right choice by not skipping the shot. I guess not everyone has been there to see that sight for themselves, nor is the barn instantly recognized by most people.

However, I see that someone has today posted an image into the LuLa thread on Peter Lik, showing his very colorful version of this same barn. Not sure what that says about its status as possibly an overdone icon of the Old West, but it probably has some relevancy. http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=98098.msg861484#msg861484

David, I agree with your nit, and would have preferred a slightly higher point of view. I looked around for a way to get it, but having left my ladder at home, didn't see a way to do it short of climbing a nearby tree. And I'm afraid I'm getting a little old for that sort of thing.  :)
Title: Re: Pioneers: GTNP
Post by: Colorado David on October 19, 2015, 03:20:38 pm
I understand.  I'm getting a little beyond the tree-climbing age myself.  I have a roof rack on my Land Rover, which is a pretty tall vehicle, and have shot from there to get some elevation. Even that may or may not have been enough.