Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on October 18, 2015, 07:42:51 am

Title: criss-cross
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 18, 2015, 07:42:51 am
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: criss-cross
Post by: luxborealis on October 18, 2015, 08:00:29 am
A beautiful waterfall, Jeremy, but I can't help thinking about how much the bright details around the water actually detract from it. The bright highlights seem to make the water grey and secondary to the rock and grasses around it.
Title: Re: criss-cross
Post by: stamper on October 18, 2015, 09:38:11 am
I think Terry has a point. An image with great potential.
Title: Re: criss-cross
Post by: BobDavid on October 18, 2015, 09:47:19 am
I think it's an engaging image--love the contrast between water and terra firma. This would look great as a print. I usually take my time with this type of image. ... I'd put it away for a week and then revisit it. That way whatever requires tweaking, if anything, will be more obvious.
Title: Re: criss-cross
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 18, 2015, 01:39:48 pm
I agree with the other comments.

I would be tempted to try masking out the water and darken the lighter areas of the rocks and surroundings. That would be less realistic, but perhaps more interesting.

Eric
Title: Re: criss-cross
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 24, 2015, 11:28:16 am
Fair points. I'd darkened the surrounding rocks quite a bit already and was afraid of doing more.

The week has now passed and I have this, which as it turned out wasn't terribly difficult to do in LR.

Thoughts?

Jeremy
Title: Re: criss-cross
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 24, 2015, 11:47:01 am
Excellent now. Totally believable, and quite tasty.
Title: Re: criss-cross
Post by: stamper on October 25, 2015, 06:54:54 am
Excellent now. Totally believable, and quite tasty.


Yes. The rocks are now like a vignette which concentrates the gaze on the water.
Title: Re: criss-cross
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on October 27, 2015, 11:10:18 am
Send me a large copy ;). I want to put it on my wall near a Peter Turnley.

A positive vote,
Dale
Title: Re: criss-cross
Post by: Arlen on October 27, 2015, 02:20:55 pm
You nailed it in the second version. It's very striking.