Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: JimAscher on October 17, 2015, 11:53:03 am
-
The current issue of the London Review of Books has an interesting (and touching) portrait of Vivian Maier as recalled by her Chicago employer. The following link may work.
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n20/linda-matthews/diary
-
I have belatedly become aware that the link for this article is not really workable. I have now copied the entire article as a Microsoft Word document, which I will be pleased to forward by separate email to anyone desirous of receiving it. Sorry.
-
Hi Jim,
I would be interested in receiving the doc. Can you E-mail it to [email protected] ?
Thanks,
Don Bryant
-
Duplication - I just posted the same information before I noticed this thread- I'm a long-time LRB subscriber too. But, in addition and by an odd coincidence, there's also an in-depth Sky Arts documentary about her on tonight.
Always pleased to see that someone else reads the LRB! For anyone with an interest in literature (and much else besides) the LRB and NYRB are, for me, simply the world's best journals. Even after decades of reading them I still get a buzz from hearing the latest one thud onto the doormat! I only subscribe to the print edition of the NYRB but maybe I should up my subscription to get access to the full archive - the LRB's is almost inexhaustible. But then I'd probably never get anything done.
Both publications are fantastic value with content of the very highest order. Subscribe! You won't regret it.
-
Duplication - I just posted the same information before I noticed this thread- I'm a long-time LRB subscriber too. But, in addition and by an odd coincidence, there's also an in-depth Sky Arts documentary about her on tonight.
Always pleased to see that someone else reads the LRB! For anyone with an interest in literature (and much else besides) the LRB and NYRB are, for me, simply the world's best journals. Even after decades of reading them I still get a buzz from hearing the latest one thud onto the doormat! I only subscribe to the print edition of the NYRB but maybe I should up my subscription to get access to the full archive - the LRB's is almost inexhaustible. But then I'd probably never get anything done.
Both publications are fantastic value with content of the very highest order. Subscribe! You won't regret it.
I don't get the publications, but I still fail to get much of anything done.
;-(
Rob C
-
Subscribe! Then you'd get even more of nothing done.
-
Always pleased to see that someone else reads the LRB! For anyone with an interest in literature (and much else besides) the LRB and NYRB are, for me, simply the world's best journals. Even after decades of reading them I still get a buzz from hearing the latest one thud onto the doormat! I only subscribe to the print edition of the NYRB but maybe I should up my subscription to get access to the full archive - the LRB's is almost inexhaustible. But then I'd probably never get anything done.
Both publications are fantastic value with content of the very highest order. Subscribe! You won't regret it.
Roy: I have also been a subscriber to the New York Review of Books for many years (in addition to the LRB) and have coincidentally just recently upped my NYRB subscription to include access to its on-line archives (which I believe used to come free with a subscription to their print edition). Subscription to the on-line archives provides access to such a wealth of past articles and information I reluctantly determined I couldn't long go without. Jim
-
Subscribe! Then you'd get even more of nothing done.
Man, that's a death worse than Fate!
Rob C
-
I appreciate this is the Luminous Landscape, but am I alone in noticing that the interest in wider topics is fading away a little bit? Or is it that people just find they have nothing to say anymore on anything much at all beyond Sony, especially Sony they don't own?
Perhaps it's a product of the computer age: we retreat into our little closed loops and fear looking outside of them?
Rob C
-
I appreciate this is the Luminous Landscape, but am I alone in noticing that the interest in wider topics is fading away a little bit? Or is it that people just find they have nothing to say anymore on anything much at all beyond Sony, especially Sony they don't own?
Perhaps it's a product of the computer age: we retreat into our little closed loops and fear looking outside of them?
And I started to worry that I was the only one who noticed this. ::)
-
And I started to worry that I was the only one who noticed this. ::)
No... Russ isn't saying much lately, Slobodan seems to have had enough quasi defamation of character, Riaan has gone silent, Chris F from Germany has vanished, Fred from France seems to have given up and only talks to film/video these days; the list of the lost goes on... it's not rocket science to understand why we seem to be losing those who actually had something to contribute other than bile or fanboyism.
;-(
Rob C
-
No... Russ isn't saying much lately, Slobodan seems to have had enough quasi defamation of character, Riaan has gone silent, Chris F from Germany has vanished, Fred from France seems to have given up and only talks to film/video these days; the list of the lost goes on... it's not rocket science to understand why we seem to be losing those who actually had something to contribute other than bile or fanboyism.
The problem is that it is not only this forum, it is the same story everywhere. I wonder where they went.