Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: MattNQ on October 17, 2015, 12:54:59 am
-
(https://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/MonochromeMagic/Infrared/i-5P4scgM/0/L/P9212942_edit_2d-L.jpg)
(https://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/Travel-/Kirrama-Range-and-Blencoe/i-3qccTzs/1/L/P9212948_edit_1a-L.jpg)
-
I quite like the first one. It evokes a kind of moodiness.
-
I like both, but the first is a clear favorite.
-
I would want to see it bigger and printed but the first one seems to have a certain something that is impressive.
-
Thanks all for your comments.
I do like the relative simplicity of #1 . It turned out better than I thought it would :D
-
The first image is excellent, dramatic. Well done. I'm less thrilled by the second shot although the mood is very similar to the first one.
-
Wonderfully evocative images Matt!
I agree that the first is better than the second image but honestly that wooden bridge is also an exceptional effort.
However, from someone who really enjoys frequenting the Australian bush that first image is an absolute winner.
The combination of that sky in the background along with the geometry of the tracks and how they fork just transports it into another realm.
Congratulations!
Tony Jay
-
Nice pleasing composition.
Both are nice, but I lean a little bit toward the first. The two leading lines work well in this shot.
-
Nice pleasing composition.
Both are nice, but I lean a little bit toward the first. The two leading lines work well in this shot.
Agreed.
-
The first image is excellent, dramatic. Well done. I'm less thrilled by the second shot although the mood is very similar to the first one.
Thanks Francois. I wasn't 100% happy with #2. Not having the tops of the trees bugs me a bit.
This one is a slightly lower point of view, but I'm not sure if it works better?
(https://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/Travel-/Kirrama-Range-and-Blencoe/i-vKzkGXq/1/L/P9212949_edit_1b-L.jpg)
-
Wonderfully evocative images Matt!
I agree that the first is better than the second image but honestly that wooden bridge is also an exceptional effort.
However, from someone who really enjoys frequenting the Australian bush that first image is an absolute winner.
The combination of that sky in the background along with the geometry of the tracks and how they fork just transports it into another realm.
Congratulations!
Tony Jay
Thanks Tony. This is from Blencoe Falls in FNQ. Only a 2hr drive from the coast.
I still think its funny that my favourite pic from the trip (#1) is not even of the rather dramatic waterfall :D
-
Thanks all for looking and taking the time to comment
-
I very much like the first photograph; it's evocative. I'm feeling almost lazy as my eye wanders up that road. And the diverging road...well, maybe it's the primary route, but the one coming in from the left...helps me to keep looking further.
The second one doesn't appeal in the same way.
Tom Frerichs
-
Late to the party, Matt.
Both photos are, to me, equally evocative, but in different ways.
I'm wondering if more could be made of the midtones in the first. The grasses seem to blend together in a dull, kind of lifeless way, when (knowing how grasses look in B&W from the Serengeti to the Prairies), with more local contrast, you could inject a little more life into them. Adding a little LR Clarity either globally or, better yet, as an adjustment brush with, perhaps an increase in contrast, would do it. But don't overdo it as it would then detract from the rest of the photograph.
-
I very much like the first photograph; it's evocative. I'm feeling almost lazy as my eye wanders up that road. And the diverging road...well, maybe it's the primary route, but the one coming in from the left...helps me to keep looking further.
The second one doesn't appeal in the same way.
Tom Frerichs
Thanks Tom. Yes it does strike me as a 'lazy' image - some images drag your eyes into a point in interest, but others your eyes just wander along the lines slowly
-
Late to the party, Matt.
Both photos are, to me, equally evocative, but in different ways.
I'm wondering if more could be made of the midtones in the first. The grasses seem to blend together in a dull, kind of lifeless way, when (knowing how grasses look in B&W from the Serengeti to the Prairies), with more local contrast, you could inject a little more life into them. Adding a little LR Clarity either globally or, better yet, as an adjustment brush with, perhaps an increase in contrast, would do it. But don't overdo it as it would then detract from the rest of the photograph.
Thanks Terry. I originally tried more clarity globally but it started to overcook the clouds around the brighter white bits.
I haven't got back to trying any local adjustments yet but that might be the solution.
-
I'm very late to this one, Matt. Not only is #1 very nice, it's something you could use to good effect in a lecture on composition. Bravo!
-
I'm very late to this one, Matt. Not only is #1 very nice, it's something you could use to good effect in a lecture on composition. Bravo!
Thank you Russ. Feel free to be as late as you like.
I'm glad it worked. By that time the family were in the car giving me the 'hurry up, are you finished yet' comments. No patience, some of these non-photographers ;D
Actually instead of the word "late" . I prefer "deferring one's entrance to allow arrival with style"
Doesn't work so well with work meetings though ;D