Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Diego Pigozzo on October 16, 2015, 05:12:42 pm

Title: Trying my new/old lens
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 16, 2015, 05:12:42 pm
Shot with a twenty-something years old Helios 44-M6 on my Nikon.

Title: Re: Trying my new/old lens
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 17, 2015, 04:00:58 am
Interesting image. I think it would be better without the out-of-focus bright leaf edge on the right.

Is the lens relevant?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Trying my new/old lens
Post by: luxborealis on October 18, 2015, 08:33:01 am
Interesting image. I think it would be better without the out-of-focus bright leaf edge on the right.

Is the lens relevant?

Jeremy

Agreed on both accounts. The lens did not this photo make, but if it provided the inspiration to get out and get looking, then all the more power to you!
Title: Re: Trying my new/old lens
Post by: Rob C on October 18, 2015, 10:31:08 am
Interesting image. I think it would be better without the out-of-focus bright leaf edge on the right.

Is the lens relevant?

Jeremy



I wonder; if you remove it, then you have to lose the right side and make a weaker, more square picture... It won't work just cloning it away, because then there's no balancing interest to the side, just spare shadow doing not a lot.

Might make for a good Hasselfake, though!

Just a thought.

Rob C
Title: Re: Trying my new/old lens
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 18, 2015, 01:42:56 pm


I wonder; if you remove it, then you have to lose the right side and make a weaker, more square picture... It won't work just cloning it away, because then there's no balancing interest to the side, just spare shadow doing not a lot.

How about a mixture? Clone out the bit to the left of the upright leaf, and perhaps a little to the right of it, and crop out the remainder.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Trying my new/old lens
Post by: Rob C on October 18, 2015, 01:56:46 pm
How about a mixture? Clone out the bit to the left of the upright leaf, and perhaps a little to the right of it, and crop out the remainder.

Jeremy


Sounds surgical!

Rob C
Title: Re: Trying my new/old lens
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 18, 2015, 04:44:29 pm
Thanks all for the comments.

Now, last thing first: no, the lens is not relevant expect for the fact that is the lens that came with my first reflex (a Zenit 122 I bougth more than twenty years ago, thant still works and that I still use from time to time).
So it is just a "nostalgia thing" :D


About the cloning thing, I'm not sure I understand what exactly should I do (I'm not that good at cloning :( )
By the way, feel free to try and post the results :D

And now, for something completely different*, another shot with the same lens (this time closed down, at last).


* that's not true, it's the same old stuff :D


Title: Re: Trying my new/old lens
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 18, 2015, 09:38:56 pm
I like this one. I'd keep using a lens that can do that.
Title: Re: Trying my new/old lens
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 19, 2015, 03:43:25 am
I like this one. I'd keep using a lens that can do that.

Thanks :D
I'll surely keep using the lens, both because I like it and because it is fun :D

Now I have to try an adapter without the infinity focus glass: the one I own now produce a glow when I use the lens wide open (and this happens with my other M42 lens, too).
Title: Re: Trying my new/old lens
Post by: Rob C on October 19, 2015, 05:02:48 am


And now, for something completely different*, another shot with the same lens (this time closed down, at last).




Diego, you have captured one of those places that would drive me insane. I have a very real unease in places like that, not sure about what, and perhaps that's the very reason I avoid any such encounters. Maybe its the expectation of stepping on a python, walking round the corner into the face of a tiger - who knows. Perhaps none of those visible things at all, which makes it even worse. It's as if I know that woods contain something very evil.

And don't be too sure they don't. We used to have a large alsabrador which I took walking up a nearby hill every day. It was well wooded, had a rough road cut for future housing, and nobody lived there, nothing was constructed. I used to have to pull/coax that large dog up to the top. She pulled, strained against it all the way, scared of God alone knows what. I was telling a neighbour about this behaviour, and he told me that his own dog, a tiny one, reacted in exactly the same manner. He also told me that he'd gone off-piste once and found the body of another dog hanging from one of the trees.

Rob C
Title: Re: Trying my new/old lens
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 19, 2015, 05:48:26 am

Diego, you have captured one of those places that would drive me insane. I have a very real unease in places like that, not sure about what, and perhaps that's the very reason I avoid any such encounters. Maybe its the expectation of stepping on a python, walking round the corner into the face of a tiger - who knows. Perhaps none of those visible things at all, which makes it even worse. It's as if I know that woods contain something very evil.

And don't be too sure they don't. We used to have a large alsabrador which I took walking up a nearby hill every day. It was well wooded, had a rough road cut for future housing, and nobody lived there, nothing was constructed. I used to have to pull/coax that large dog up to the top. She pulled, strained against it all the way, scared of God alone knows what. I was telling a neighbour about this behaviour, and he told me that his own dog, a tiny one, reacted in exactly the same manner. He also told me that he'd gone off-piste once and found the body of another dog hanging from one of the trees.

Rob C


Well, that dog story will make me uneasy, too.
By the way, where I leave there are neither phytons nor tigers: the worst thing I can encounter is a coypu or some non-venomous water snake.
Other than that, I like places like this because of the mistery looks.
Well, I like them during the day :D
Title: Re: Trying my new/old lens
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 24, 2015, 11:39:22 am
About the cloning thing, I'm not sure I understand what exactly should I do (I'm not that good at cloning :( )
By the way, feel free to try and post the results :D

I'm no master, but PS's content-aware healing brush is a wonderful thing. How about this, both cloned and cropped a bit.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Trying my new/old lens
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 26, 2015, 04:58:19 am
I'm no master, but PS's content-aware healing brush is a wonderful thing. How about this, both cloned and cropped a bit.

Jeremy

Now I see what you meant.
I like you processing yet I have to admin that it looks to "lack movement".
I'm not sure I can explaying myselft, but IMHO  the bright blade of grass adds both movement and direction to the image, helping the viewer to stay in the frame.

What do you think?