Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: jgcox on October 16, 2015, 04:33:06 pm

Title: a7II vs A7r
Post by: jgcox on October 16, 2015, 04:33:06 pm
I'm looking at one of these (not the a7rII) I'm wondering if one of them is any better with wide angle lenses. I have some wide angles that I use on my Leica and I'd like to use them on this purchase.
Title: Re: a7II vs A7r
Post by: AlterEgo on October 16, 2015, 04:34:06 pm
I'm looking at one of these (not the a7rII) I'm wondering if one of them is any better with wide angle lenses. I have some wide angles that I use on my Leica and I'd like to use them on this purchase.
blog.kasson.com is filled with some tests
Title: Re: a7II vs A7r
Post by: webrunner5 on December 11, 2015, 05:08:04 pm
Well I have the Sony A7r, and I can tell you it pushes the limits of a lot of lenses, other than top ones that are REALLY expensive.

So most wide angle lens are sort of on the margin to start with, even on a low MP sensor, I would go with the A7II. Probably will work out better.
Title: Re: a7II vs A7r
Post by: Paul Roark on December 13, 2015, 08:20:32 pm
The only Leica M wide that I can say works well with my Sony a7r is the 16-18-21mm Tri-Elmar.  All of my other M wides are smeared at the edges.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Title: Re: a7II vs A7r
Post by: indusphoto on February 02, 2016, 10:03:44 pm
I'm looking at one of these (not the a7rII) I'm wondering if one of them is any better with wide angle lenses. I have some wide angles that I use on my Leica and I'd like to use them on this purchase.

The only meaningful difference will come from the image stabilization on A7II. Other than that they should be the same for the same output size, unless you start to go really big in which the lens imperfections will start to show. Nevertheless images from A7r will never look worse than A7. It is not like A7 will add sharpness to the smeared corners that A7r can't. They both will look bad (there will be a slight difference in edge acuity because of different ratios of scaling used).

I do think that A7r has better DR then A7II, so if you are doing wide angle landscapes, that may be something to consider.
Title: Re: a7II vs A7r
Post by: Jack Hogan on February 03, 2016, 10:40:25 am
I do think that A7r has better DR then A7II, so if you are doing wide angle landscapes, that may be something to consider.

Hmmm (http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Sony%20ILCE-7M2,Sony%20ILCE-7R(APS-C))