Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Dmullins on October 15, 2015, 11:58:38 am

Title: Minnehaha Falls
Post by: Dmullins on October 15, 2015, 11:58:38 am
I photographed the falls while I was in Minnesota for a few days at the end of last July.
Title: Re: Minnehaha Falls
Post by: thierrylegros396 on October 15, 2015, 12:47:33 pm
Really well framed and captured, a lot of water there!

Thierry
Title: Re: Minnehaha Falls
Post by: Colorado David on October 15, 2015, 01:00:42 pm
Nicely done.  I would be tempted to shoot two images, one with the silky slow shutter speed and one with a fast enough shutter to freeze the stream side vegetation and merge the two.
Title: Re: Minnehaha Falls
Post by: Walt Roycraft on October 15, 2015, 02:57:03 pm
Nicely done.  I would be tempted to shoot two images, one with the silky slow shutter speed and one with a fast enough shutter to freeze the stream side vegetation and merge the two.

+1 and crop the top of the image where the sky bleeds thru
Title: Re: Minnehaha Falls
Post by: SZRitter on October 16, 2015, 11:50:34 am
+1 and crop the top of the image where the sky bleeds thru

I don't know, if you cropped too much up top, I would feel like the falls would be too crowded to the top of the frame.
Title: Re: Minnehaha Falls
Post by: MattBurt on October 16, 2015, 12:14:21 pm
Very nice image. I don't mind the foliage movement, but it would also look great without it I'm sure. The sky peeking through is also fine I think. The one thing that bothers me slightly is the image might be slightly leaning to the right. It might be worth trying a degree or two of rotation to the left. I'm basing this on the trajectory of the waterfall and it is subtle.
Overall a beautiful image I would be proud of if it were mine!
Title: Re: Minnehaha Falls
Post by: Colorado David on October 16, 2015, 12:20:29 pm
I wonder how many times I've driven by this park without stopping.
Title: Re: Minnehaha Falls
Post by: Dmullins on October 16, 2015, 01:27:57 pm
Thank you all for taking the time to comment and make suggestions, I really appreciate it.  When I first took the shot I contemplated taking an additional image without the nd filter to freeze the foliage (perhaps I should have), but after a quick review on the lcd (while the camera was still in position on the tripod) I decided I liked the movement. I thought it was interesting to show the movement of the wind, and as an added bonus, not all of the vegetation is blurred. I liked the contrast between the blurred and non-blurred foliage.

As an experiment I tried cropping the top off a little, but I felt it became to cramped.

MattBurt, thank you for the suggestion to check the leveling. I used the level built into the camera when I took the shot, however, I have always wondered how accurate that level really is. Once I have a little more time I will go back and see if tilting the image helps.

Colorado David, I recommend checking the park out. It really is a very nice park, and as an added bonus, there is a nice little restaurant inside the park that sits next to the falls. I can recommend their fish tacos followed up with a nice beer!
Title: Re: Minnehaha Falls
Post by: MattBurt on October 16, 2015, 01:36:55 pm
I've never really trusted the level in My K-5 or K-3 either. It never looks quite right to me but it might just be that truly level just doesn't always looks quite right.
Title: Re: Minnehaha Falls
Post by: HCS on October 17, 2015, 09:51:49 am
Nicely done.  I would be tempted to shoot two images, one with the silky slow shutter speed and one with a fast enough shutter to freeze the stream side vegetation and merge the two.

Nicely done indeed and just what i was thinking when i saw the image.