Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: sdwilsonsct on October 13, 2015, 03:29:44 pm

Title: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: sdwilsonsct on October 13, 2015, 03:29:44 pm
Thanks for looking. Suggestions welcome.
Title: Re: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: Arlen on October 13, 2015, 03:44:06 pm
I like the second one quite a bit, Scott. If it were mine, I might be tempted to play with making the small light blue areas on the right side less noticeable, possibly even cloning them out, and see how that looks.
Title: Re: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: framah on October 13, 2015, 05:14:46 pm
Really nice. While I like all three, I do agree with Arlen that losing the blue sky might help the over all feel. It is a bit distracting.

I miss driving cross country in the fall and seeing this stuff!!

REALLY need to get out of the store more!! :o
Title: Re: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: Dmullins on October 13, 2015, 05:43:41 pm
I really like the third one with the grain silos.
Title: Re: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: mseawell on October 14, 2015, 12:17:42 am
For me I like third picture most. I like the sky and the structures. Great capture!

Mark
Title: Re: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: francois on October 14, 2015, 04:56:25 am
The first doesn't do much for me, it lacks a strong element (but the colors are nice). The second and the third are much better. My preference goes to the third one with those silos that are well detached on a great sky.
Title: Re: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: brandtb on October 14, 2015, 09:19:17 am
Scott  - I think there is a lot of potential in the last two...especially the third.  I'm not sure about the processing in either of those two. Can you post what camera/lens you used for these and the ISO, fstop, shutter etc.. Also, the third might be interesting in B/W with some very careful adjustments...will pm you when I get a moment. /Brandt
Title: Re: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on October 14, 2015, 09:54:02 am
For me, #2 could work also cropping out the right hand side; sort of to a square format, it would focus the interest on the cloud and rainbow.

I also like #3, the structures look almost like a family, with decreasing sizes to the right.
Title: Re: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: NancyP on October 14, 2015, 11:19:55 am
Well, I have an affinity for grain silos, so it's #3 that is my favorite - reflections of sky and land on silos - colors are really nice. But #2 is really nice as well - I might crop square, agree that the blue is a bit distracting.
Title: Re: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: sdwilsonsct on October 14, 2015, 05:37:52 pm
Thanks for all the feedback.

#2: Not sure about a crop, I like the context and balance. Interesting that the blue sky distracts: I'll try turning it down a bit.

#3: Glad you like it. Nancy and any other grain bin afficienados can get their fill here (https://www.flickr.com/photos/59795859@N00/sets/72157642701146765).

Can you post what camera/lens you used for these and the ISO, fstop, shutter etc..

#1: Sony NEX-3N, 55-210 mm @ 55 mm, ISO 200, f/8, 1/60, tripod, 2-shot stitch

#2: Sony NEX-3N, 16-50 mm @ 50 mm, ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/125

#3: Canon 6D, 24-105 mm @ 28 mm, ISO 200, f/7.1, 1/80, tripod
Title: Re: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: NancyP on October 16, 2015, 03:47:28 pm
Thanks for the silos! I take it that these are close to where you live and commute?
Title: Re: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: marcgoldring on October 17, 2015, 05:57:40 am
Agree that the 3rd is the most interesting to me. I love the dichotomies - hard/soft, big/small. It's a complicated world...

Marco
Title: Re: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: sdwilsonsct on October 17, 2015, 09:48:50 am
Thanks for the silos! I take it that these are close to where you live and commute?

You're welcome, Nancy. These grain bins are all a few miles from my house. You shoot what ya got.  :D

Marco: thanks!
Title: Re: Prairie autumn colours
Post by: Bob_B on October 17, 2015, 07:20:27 pm
+1 to all, but especially the silos. Not something I see in Baltimore :).