Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Arlen on October 11, 2015, 08:02:39 pm
-
After several smoky days in the Jackson Hole/GTNP area, my luck changed for the better. A storm front moved in and cleared away much of the smoke.
And to this fly fisher's delight, a trout decided to surface just as I was ready to capture the image of a well-situated beaver pond.
(http://www.pbase.com/art1/image/161546544/original.jpg)
-
This is a fantastic shot of the Tetons. The weather was just what the place needed and B&W processing suits the scene.
Bravo
-
Wonderful scene, well captured and processed> A delight to view, thanks for sharing
-
the sky is full of drama and interest, well done.
-
+1. Jaw-dropping photograph, with so much drama.
-
Triple Ditto to Everything already said
-
Arlen, One question. The peaks of the mountains seem darkened to me. Did you use a gradient filter to darken sky and thus the darkened mountain tops?
-
Thanks to each of you for your generous comments.
Walt, that is a keen observation. But no, it's not due to a gradient. I went back and checked, and the tone difference in the upper part of the mountains was not introduced by post processing. I think it is probably a combination of two things. First, despite the smoke-clearing effect of the incoming storm, a slight haze still existed closer to the ground, which tended to reduce contrast and brighten that area. Second, the lighting on the top of the peaks are most affected by the dark clouds right above them, whereas the lower areas are receiving a little more light from the less-cloudy sky between them and the camera.
-
Arlen, Thank you for the explanation. I can go back to enjoying this wonderful image again ;D
-
Powerful image. The ripples from the Trout add even more to it.
Mark
-
So once you finished shooting this wonderful image, what fly did you present to the trout?
-
So once you finished shooting this wonderful image, what fly did you present to the trout?
Aha...a question only an aficionado would think to ask.
This one.
(http://www.pbase.com/image/161571795/original.jpg)
-
And did it take the hopper? Bamboo or graphite?
-
Nice fly!
-
David, I didn't have my bamboo rod with me on this trip. So graphite it was. And I wish I could end this story by saying that I caught that trout, but alas, it was not interested in my offering--despite the presence of real grasshoppers nearby.
Nancy, thanks for the comment on the fly. It's a Dave's Hopper, one that I use a lot in mid-late summer in the West. But I can't take credit for this image, even though the original drawing hangs on my wall. It was created by my artist friend Bill Marshall, one of several exquisite drawings that he made for me to use in my book BugWater (http://www.amazon.com/BugWater-fishers-through-seasons-aquatic/dp/0811705056), published a few years ago.