Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BobDavid on October 11, 2015, 01:12:42 am

Title: Gas Station
Post by: BobDavid on October 11, 2015, 01:12:42 am
24-Hour self-serve
Title: Re: Gas Station
Post by: stamper on October 11, 2015, 03:48:15 am
I like the starkness of this image. If the pump on the left had the same light as the rest it would be imo a better image but as it is it is just fine.
Title: Re: Gas Station
Post by: graeme on October 11, 2015, 07:33:37 am
Love it. & I like the unlit left fuel pump, brings tension into the image. Great colour palette.
Title: Re: Gas Station
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 11, 2015, 09:13:32 am
Love it. & I like the unlit left fuel pump, brings tension into the image. Great colour palette.
+1.

P.S. I think this is a single image, but with BobDavid I'm never sure.   ;)
Title: Re: Gas Station
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 12, 2015, 06:11:59 pm
IMHO the MARATHON sign is way too much evident.
For my taste, I would have cloned it out and cropped slightly the left part, so to leave just three pumps: this way I think it would have given a much stronger sense of stillness.

But maybe it's just me and stillness was not your intention.  ;)
Title: Re: Gas Station
Post by: chuckn on October 12, 2015, 06:27:43 pm
I think it would look better in black and white .

Chuck
Title: Re: Gas Station
Post by: francois on October 13, 2015, 04:54:54 am
Very nice shot but I also find that the Marathon sign weighs too much in the scene.
Title: Re: Gas Station
Post by: BobDavid on October 13, 2015, 11:07:56 am
Everybody's comments are on the mark. I am photographing places open 24-hours and taking pictures of them at night. I am attracted to gas stations, as they are often desolate. I want to keep the logos of the stations in the photos. I am interested in seeing how each brand's gas station is lit up. I like the irony of "Marathon" appearing in a dead-still scene. ... I am heavily weighing decisions regarding color and compositions largely on conceptual grounds rather than formal. In the end, there will be anywhere from 12 to 24 pictures in the series.

As stated earlier, all of the comments posted about this picture have merit. The intent of this collection is to build a forest--some of the trees will be more interesting than others.

As a single image, I agree that the "Marathon" sign should go.