Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: PeterAit on October 03, 2015, 05:38:30 pm

Title: Rain and 7 MP cameras
Post by: PeterAit on October 03, 2015, 05:38:30 pm
It's been raining for 3 days here in central North Carolina, over 3 inches so far. The dismal, gray, and chilly weather does not encourage me to get out with my camera. So, I have been spending lots of time going thru my Lightroom catalog, deleting the dogs, keywording, and working on a small number of interesting photos that I overlooked before. This one is my favorite so far. I took it while we were fishing on our boat some 40 miles offshore way back in 2009. I love the texture of the clouds and the play of the light on the water. And, it was taken with a $100 Casio point-and-shoot with 7 megapixels! Part of me wishes I had taken my "good gear" on this trip, but for the most part it is a reminder that good photos do not depend on the latest-greatest equipment.
Title: Re: Rain and 7 MP cameras
Post by: Rob C on October 04, 2015, 03:46:13 pm
Could pass as molten metal or even volcanic landscape!

Rob C

P.S. Did you catch anything for lunch?
Title: Re: Rain and 7 MP cameras
Post by: Rhossydd on October 04, 2015, 04:26:59 pm
a reminder that good photos do not depend on the latest-greatest equipment.
Absolutely. It's worth re-reading Michael's original reviews of the, 6mp, Canon D60 and remembering how well the print evaluation of that camera's output was so well regarded. Those camera's files are even better now with newer and better RAW conversion and printing technology.

I was tempted to point this out in a recent thread about Canon's forthcoming 120mp camera, but it's a point probably wasted on the the pixel peepers arguing about dynamic range to the second decimal point :-(
Title: Re: Rain and 7 MP cameras
Post by: PeterAit on October 04, 2015, 05:03:28 pm
I was tempted to point this out in a recent thread about Canon's forthcoming 120mp camera, but it's a point probably wasted on the the pixel peepers arguing about dynamic range to the second decimal point :-(

I agree 100%. The pixel peepers are enormously tiring, but there's no getting rid of them. Their motto is, I guess, "A bad photo, but really sharp."
Title: Re: Rain and 7 (or 8) MP cameras
Post by: OldRoy on October 24, 2015, 09:38:49 am
My fishing bag usually contains an 8MP Canon "Pro 1"* About 10 years ago this slipped down the bank and came to rest partially submerged in a shallow puddle - from which I swiftly snatched and dried it. It has never been quite the same, now suffering from neurotic symptoms such as a tendency to cycle rapidly through options in various setting modes. So I have it in "set and forgotten" mode. In many ways this is a welcome relief since the camera's only function is to take snaps of sizeable fish (100% catch and release) and considerations of "art" are abandoned. Sometimes I weaken and take an EM5 with me though.
* Never play cards with a man called "Doc"; never eat at a place that advertises "home cooked" - but above all never buy consumer durables pre- or suffixed "Pro".

Here's a smallish jpeg of an accidental Sea Trout caught on 6lb line in a fast flowing small river.
Title: Re: Rain and 7 MP cameras
Post by: Rob C on October 24, 2015, 03:25:14 pm
Well, only 10mp (D200) but I use it far more than my bigger D700. There's something I like about lo-tech: reminds me of myself.

Rob C
(http://www.roma57.com/uploads/4/2/8/7/4287956/7679103_orig.jpg)

Title: Re: Rain and 7 MP cameras
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 26, 2015, 12:28:13 pm
...it is a reminder that good photos do not depend on the latest-greatest equipment.

I partially disagree: gears are tools, so if you're good at some job then better tools will allow you to do a better job (or do a job that worse tools can't physically do).

The hard part, for some, is getting the "if you're good at some job" part.