Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on September 28, 2015, 08:10:51 pm

Title: Insect macros: pt2
Post by: Bob_B on September 28, 2015, 08:10:51 pm
Continuing from my previous post... Here are two more insect macro photographs. C&C welcomed and encouraged. Best, Bob
Title: Re: Insect macros: pt2
Post by: thierrylegros396 on September 29, 2015, 03:19:27 am
The 2nd of this serie is the best for me.

Thierry
Title: Re: Insect macros: pt2
Post by: syncrasy on September 29, 2015, 08:37:26 am
The butterfly is a member of the distinctive group of butterflies called Skippers (Family Hesperiidae), in this case one of the Grass Skippers (Subfamily Hesperiinae) (http://bugguide.net/node/view/12855). Grass Skippers can be difficult to ID, but your shot is nice because it shows the spot pattern on both the upper and underwings, so a species ID should be possible. I suspect this one is a Crossline Skipper (Polites origenes), but I defer to the experts.
Title: Re: Insect macros: pt2
Post by: Bob_B on September 29, 2015, 09:29:15 am
Thanks Thierry, syncrasy. I appreciate your comments and the id on the crossline skipper. -Bob
Title: Re: Insect macros: pt2
Post by: NancyP on September 29, 2015, 11:36:16 am
I don't know my skippers, but I prefer #2 as well. Colors are really nice, display of wings very nice as syncrasy noted. Handsome insect.
Title: Re: Insect macros: pt2
Post by: Bob_B on September 29, 2015, 12:57:46 pm
I don't know my skippers, but I prefer #2 as well. Colors are really nice, display of wings very nice as syncrasy noted. Handsome insect.

Thanks Nancy. Yes, (s)he is a handsome bug. This particular butterfly let me take 10 or 12 photos without moving an iota, even though my macro lens was just an inch or so away.