Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: hassiman on September 28, 2015, 03:02:16 pm

Title: NiSi 10 stop NDX 100mm Filters and holders. Good equipment?
Post by: hassiman on September 28, 2015, 03:02:16 pm
Hi,

I have just seen a NiSi 100mm milled aluminum filter holder that looks quite nicely built.  I have also read some good revues of their NDX filter that is the equivalent of the Big Stopper by Lee. Supposedly not too much color cast.

Has anyone here tried this equipment?  Your thoughts?
Title: Re: NiSi 10 stop NDX 100mm Filters and holders. Good equipment?
Post by: shadowblade on September 29, 2015, 12:30:40 am
Colour cast doesn't matter much for solid NDs, since you can easily fix it by adjusting white balance.
Title: Re: NiSi 10 stop NDX 100mm Filters and holders. Good equipment?
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on September 29, 2015, 02:51:52 am
Colour cast doesn't matter much for solid NDs, since you can easily fix it by adjusting white balance.

Whitebalance can not really solve it in all cases. It would be correct if the filter's absorption spectrum is similarly smooth as a blackbody radiator, but these filters usually have a much more spiky/wavy transmission.

Added to that, near-IR transmission of the filter can be relatively high compared to the visual spectrum, and that adds a pollution to all colors, because the Bayer CFA filters on the sensor are transparent to IR. The IR filter/hot mirror in the sensor's filter stack is not designed for such unbalanced daylight vs IR ratios.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: NiSi 10 stop NDX 100mm Filters and holders. Good equipment?
Post by: philaitman on September 29, 2015, 06:36:19 am
I have the 150 system for my 14-24 F2.8 and have 'fondled' with the 100 system so can make some related comments.
The 150 filter holder itself is vastly superior to the Lee 150 system. For the 100 system, there's not much in it. The NiSi is cheaper and the all metal build quality is absolutely superb, functionality wise it's about even with the Lee. If I was buying my 100mm kit again, I would go with the NiSi for the holders -based on price and build quality- and filters from whichever supplier suits my needs.

The (150mm) 10 Stop ND behaves VERY similarly to the Lee Big and Little Stoppers. White Balance needs to be at around 10k to get rid of the blue cast. Otherwise, the quality is absolutely superb.
Sadly I don't have any quality images to share as I've a damaged Achilles since I got the system so have only 'tested' the filters in the back garden.