Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on September 26, 2015, 08:53:36 am

Title: Grass Spikelet
Post by: Bob_B on September 26, 2015, 08:53:36 am
I've been working on this macro photograph of a wild grass spikelet (the seedy bit of the plant) for a bit now, and have mixed feelings about whether it 'makes it' or not. I feel I've missed something in post-processing or cropping, but I haven't figured out what it may be. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this photo, and your ideas for possible changes. Thanks, Bob
Title: Re: Grass Spikelet
Post by: thierrylegros396 on September 26, 2015, 12:29:07 pm
Very Nice.

B/W works well in this case.

Thierry
Title: Re: Grass Spikelet
Post by: HCS on September 26, 2015, 01:07:37 pm
Really very nice.

When viewing this image, my mind would like some context to the spikelet, maybe some more of them out of focus in the bg.
Title: Re: Grass Spikelet
Post by: brandtb on September 26, 2015, 01:34:45 pm
crop is a little tight on top and on right...maybe a little too much room on left.
Title: Re: Grass Spikelet
Post by: DwayneOakes on September 26, 2015, 08:36:08 pm
Cool and that is where we got the bottle brush design from, nature lol
Title: Re: Grass Spikelet
Post by: Bob_B on September 26, 2015, 08:38:43 pm
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. Here's a revision that incorporates Brandt's suggestions on the crop. There were no other spikelets in the FOV, but to offer a suggestion of depth, I've increased the shadows a little to give a bit more mottling to the background. Is this an improvement? C&C welcomed and encouraged. Thank you. - Bob
Title: Re: Grass Spikelet
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 28, 2015, 04:11:58 am
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. Here's a revision that incorporates Brandt's suggestions on the crop. There were no other spikelets in the FOV, but to offer a suggestion of depth, I've increased the shadows a little to give a bit more mottling to the background. Is this an improvement? C&C welcomed and encouraged. Thank you. - Bob

I don't think so; I preferred the original crop and I was going to suggest removing all the mottling to give a pure black background.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Grass Spikelet
Post by: Bob_B on September 28, 2015, 11:13:42 am
I don't think so; I preferred the original crop and I was going to suggest removing all the mottling to give a pure black background.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. Your thoughts echo how I originally visualized the scene. It is interesting how the change in cropping affects my feelings about the spikelet. I think the original crop is more dynamic, while the second version has better balance. I tend towards dynamic, but this is just me. I haven't decided on which of the two I'll ultimately print, but I appreciate everyone's replies and suggestions. Thanks! - Bob
Title: Re: Grass Spikelet
Post by: MattBurt on September 28, 2015, 12:23:30 pm
Tough call on which is better but it's a great shot! The glow is really nice.
Title: Re: Grass Spikelet
Post by: Bob_B on September 28, 2015, 01:10:10 pm
Thanks Matt. FWIW: With the raw image, if you magnify, you can see what I believe to be a tiny spider's nest in the bristle. I think the jpg here shows some of the web from said spider. I like macro for that reason: I often find unexpected things as I spend more time looking at the photo.