Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mike Sellers on September 25, 2015, 01:34:46 pm

Title: Standard stretcher v gallery wrap
Post by: Mike Sellers on September 25, 2015, 01:34:46 pm
All I`ve ever done until now are gallery wraps. So on standard stretchers where do you put the eyelets for the wire on the stretcher bars or the frame?
Mike
Title: Re: Standard stretcher v gallery wrap
Post by: PeterAit on September 25, 2015, 05:06:09 pm
All I`ve ever done until now are gallery wraps. So on standard stretchers where do you put the eyelets for the wire on the stretcher bars or the frame?
Mike

I am not sure how "standard stretchers" are different from a gallery wrap.
Title: Re: Standard stretcher v gallery wrap
Post by: Mike Sellers on September 25, 2015, 08:34:31 pm
A gallery wrap is meant to be hung without a frame.
Title: Re: Standard stretcher v gallery wrap
Post by: enduser on September 25, 2015, 09:08:31 pm
On the inside edge, which holds the wrap closer to the wall.
Title: Re: Standard stretcher v gallery wrap
Post by: Wayne Fox on September 26, 2015, 06:57:22 pm
All I`ve ever done until now are gallery wraps. So on standard stretchers where do you put the eyelets for the wire on the stretcher bars or the frame?
Mike
The eyelets and wire should be attached to the frame.
Title: Re: Standard stretcher v gallery wrap
Post by: Griffin86 on September 26, 2015, 08:00:29 pm
I always thought gallery wrap was when the image wrapped around the frame and the museum wrap was when the image was just on the face of the canvas stretched around the stretched bars.

When not mounted to stretcher bars it is referred to as loose or dry mounted.

I'm probably wrong though.


A gallery wrap is meant to be hung without a frame.
Title: Re: Standard stretcher v gallery wrap
Post by: Mike Sellers on September 27, 2015, 11:01:22 am
thanks Wayne!
Title: Re: Standard stretcher v gallery wrap
Post by: Paul2660 on September 27, 2015, 02:40:03 pm
I always thought gallery wrap was when the image wrapped around the frame and the museum wrap was when the image was just on the face of the canvas stretched around the stretched bars.

When not mounted to stretcher bars it is referred to as loose or dry mounted.

I'm probably wrong though.

Most canvas for either painting (well some do prefer to paint on a large print off the bar) or printed will be on a a stretcher bar.  The Gallery wrap just refers to wrapping part of the image be it mirrored, solid, or actually part of the image around the sides allowing the print to stand on the wall without a frame, albeit a lot of such prints end up in float frames. 

On a large print, say 24 x 36, or larger, I don't put screw eyes inside as the down side is you will have a harder time mounting the print since the wire on the inside will be harder to grab and place on a hook.  Smaller than 24 x 36 I use the screw eyes mainly as most of this sized print will never be placed in a frame.

Screw eyes do allow for a print to be close to the wall almost flush, but again depending on final location of the print they can be a hindrance to hanging/no damaging the print.  So i use either security hardware or mirror hangers 2x or 1x screws. Where screw eye will really give you a fit is trying to hang a multi part print and lining everything up. 

As many have mentioned the actual screws still go on the inside of the bar. 

One other important note, if you are using 20 x 30 or larger I would also have at least 1 bracer bar.  This also makes the screw eyes inside the frame much harder to work with as the support bar can interfere with a good hanging.  Moving to mirror hangers takes the wire up and away from the support bar.

Paul