Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: Bob Rockefeller on September 17, 2015, 03:51:31 pm
-
I'm coming to the OM-D E-M1 somewhat late and have seen a number of posts on DPReview about a so called "shutter shock" that exists around 1/60 to 1/250 shutter speeds.
This forum is filled with experienced photographers, thankfully. Is there any consensus on the issue? Is there "shutter shock," or not? Do all cameras have it, or is it isolated to the m4/3 cameras?
Your advice and help is appreciated.
-
I'm coming to the OM-D E-M1 somewhat late and have seen a number of posts on DPReview about a so called "shutter shock" that exists around 1/60 to 1/250 shutter speeds.
This forum is filled with experienced photographers, thankfully. Is there any consensus on the issue? Is there "shutter shock," or not? Do all cameras have it, or is it isolated to the m4/3 cameras?
Your advice and help is appreciated.
never too late to (re)read the ultimate test of it from early 2014 = http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3651827 , this is for every E-M1 owner must do (I was once)
-
"Shutter shock" has over the past few years become a "thing" due to the shutter behavior of some mirrorless cameras. In the E-M1's case the latest firmware enables an electronic first curtain shutter option that mitigates the issue. I don't think it works in continuous shutter mode…but I personally never use that. Other cameras, like Panasonic's new GX8, lack an EFC per se but allow for an all-electronic shutter that accomplishes the same thing (in addition to being utterly silent in operation).
-Dave-
-
In the E-M1's case the latest firmware enables an electronic first curtain shutter option that mitigates the issue.
it just enables a delay of 25ms ( AKA antishock = 0s )... not a genuine EFCS
-
never too late to (re)read the ultimate test of it from early 2014 = http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3651827 , this is for every E-M1 owner must do (I was once)
That's a very good post and he put in a tremendous amount of work to document all his findings!
It certainly supports those who are of the opinion that shutter shock is real.
The AntiShock=0 setting is clearly needed. Sadly, you can't combine the anti-shock shutter release with the high or low speed continuous release - so you can get one or the other. That would leave shutter shock a problem for some shooting situations without an alternative fix.
Is there a similarly well done post on the topic but looking at the Fuji X-T1?
-
Sure, "shutter shock" is real. It can be demonstrated. Whether it's relevant to your particular method of photographing is another thing. I've never seen it in real-world use, only when deliberately inducing it via methods I'd normally never use. Same with Sony's A7r. But that's in part a consequence of how I take photos. If continuous modes combined with ~1/30–125th second exposures are relevant to your pic-taking approach, then the Oly E-M5ii may be a better m43 choice than the E-M1.
-Dave-
-
Is there a similarly well done post on the topic but looking at the Fuji X-T1?
Fuji users are not of the same caliber, never ever... people buying x-trans :o ?
-
I've never seen it in real-world use, only when deliberately inducing it via methods I'd normally never use.
so do you call shooting analog oscilloscope screen an inducing ?
-
Fuji users are not of the same caliber, never ever... people buying x-trans :o ?
?????
-
Sadly, you can't combine the anti-shock shutter release with the high or low speed continuous release - so you can get one or the other. That would leave shutter shock a problem for some shooting situations without an alternative fix.
New Firmware v4 available in November includes: "Sequential shooting for the Anti-Shock Mode when set to 0"
-
New Firmware v4 available in November includes: "Sequential shooting for the Anti-Shock Mode when set to 0"
Lovely! So would there remain any downside to using anti-shock = 0 for everything? Would it be the only way in a future E-M1 II?
-
?????
It's easier to troll than to say something meaningful (this it's in regards to the text you quoted).
-
It's easier to troll than to say something meaningful (this it's in regards to the text you quoted).
if you didn't notice I actually said something very useful in this very thread - that is pointed the OP to the definitive shutter shock test, ___unlike you___ 8)
-
It's easier to troll than to say something meaningful (this it's in regards to the text you quoted).
I suppose he's being snarky about the Fuji x-trans sensor and the people who use it.
-
if you didn't notice I actually said something very useful in this very thread.
So which of the mirrorless camera system do you use, and recommend?
-
Fuji users are not of the same caliber, never ever... people buying x-trans :o ?
As I said above, just trolling.
-
if you didn't notice I actually said something very useful in this very thread - that is pointed the OP to the definitive shutter shock test, ___unlike you___ 8)
Yes, but you couldn't just stop there and had to fit your agenda.
And while we are at shutter shock I didn't see any reports that Fuji has one, if anything I think it's very well behaved.
-
Lovely! So would there remain any downside to using anti-shock = 0 for everything? Would it be the only way in a future E-M1 II?
I shoot handheld most of the time, and I've definitely noticed shutter shock on my E-M1. You wouldn't notice it in casual use, but will notice it if you're scrutinizing the image for critical sharpness.
I haven't run into any downsides to using the 0s Anti-Shock settings. Once it's all tested, I may configure the E-M1 to do some auto-bracketing with 0s Anti-Shock as part of a custom mode.
The only potential issue is that it may add a slight delay to high-speed shooting, which may or may not influence your usage.
It's also not the most straight-forward thing to configure. You've got to menu-dive and deliberately select it as a shooting mode.
-
Yes, but you couldn't just stop there and had to fit your agenda.
where is fun in that ?
And while we are at shutter shock I didn't see any reports that Fuji has one, if anything I think it's very well behaved.
Fuji X-T1 being a primitive camera with X-Sync reduced to 1/180 (rated) then indeed it shall have lesser shutter shock with slower moving shutter blades... as we know : (m * v^2) / 2
-
where is fun in that ?
Fuji X-T1 being a primitive camera with X-Sync reduced to 1/180 (rated) then indeed it shall have lesser shutter shock with slower moving shutter blades... as we know : (m * v^2) / 2
You've failed to answer a question from one of the posters. What mirrorless camera do YOU own. BTW, we all realize there is no such thing as a perfect camera.