Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: ErikKaffehr on September 16, 2015, 03:26:05 am

Title: Metabones E-mount smart adapter for EF Mark IV reliability poll
Post by: ErikKaffehr on September 16, 2015, 03:26:05 am
Hi,

My Metabones mark IV works some times, ome times not. Reseating the lens sometimes solves the problem, sometimes I just give up.
What happens is that the camera doesn't connect with the lens. The adapter is seen but the lens is not.

What is your experience?

I am using a Sony A7rII and a 24/3.5 TSEII, but I have also seen the issue on a 16-35/4. All stuff tested is brand new. I may get another one and claim warranty on the one I have. But repairs can be tricky on intermittent problems.

Best regards
Erik Kaffehr
Title: Re: Metabones E-mount smart adapter for EF Mark IV reliability poll
Post by: Manoli on September 16, 2015, 03:48:45 am
your equipment is brand new , if faulty metabones should replace the adapter free of charge.
If you've bought via credit card/ paypal you'll also have buyers protection.
you may need to be persistent with emails, they don't always respond immediately but usually come through in the end.
see this thread re after-sales service:
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=93138.msg758520#msg758520

btw, i think there'll soon be new firmware released.
Hope it works out.


Title: Re: Metabones E-mount smart adapter for EF Mark IV reliability poll
Post by: ErikKaffehr on September 16, 2015, 10:26:09 am
Hi,

Yes, I am aware of it. The problem is that warranty doesn't help with missed opportunities. I am pretty sure it will be resolved to my satisfaction, in due time, but I will loose a lot of shooting oppurtunities meanwhile.

What also concerns me is the intermittent nature of the problem. Sometimes it works great and sometimes not at all.

So I consider to buy another one, and than sell of the other one. Anyway it would be nice to know how many users have problems.

Best regards
Erik

your equipment is brand new , if faulty metabones should replace the adapter free of charge.
If you've bought via credit card/ paypal you'll also have buyers protection.
you may need to be persistent with emails, they don't always respond immediately but usually come through in the end.
see this thread re after-sales service:
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=93138.msg758520#msg758520

btw, i think there'll soon be new firmware released.
Hope it works out.
Title: Re: Metabones E-mount smart adapter for EF Mark IV reliability poll
Post by: John Hollenberg on September 16, 2015, 08:01:47 pm
Mine (just purchased from B&H, firmware 0.41) always recognizes the lens, but have intermittent problems with auto focus on a7r2 (which will presumably/hopefully be fixed when firmware 0.42 is released).  Metabones says release of the updated firmware is "imminent".
Title: Re: Metabones E-mount smart adapter for EF Mark IV reliability poll
Post by: Hywel on September 17, 2015, 05:27:54 am
Mine is a bit iffy. Sometimes I can't get it to mate with the lenses well enough to control aperture, other times it works fine.

I wouldn't rely on it for professional gigs, frankly.

Cheers, Hywel
Title: Re: Metabones E-mount smart adapter for EF Mark IV reliability poll
Post by: jvadasz on September 18, 2015, 11:17:12 am
The new firmware has been released. version 4.3.

Name: Firmware update V0.43 for EF-E Smart AdapterTM MARK IV and EF-E Speed BoosterTM ULTRA
Release date: 18 Sep 2015
Benefits and improvements: (Please refer to the press release for more detail.)
ILCE-7R2 (A7RII) support
Autofocus improvements
Fixed issue when Aperture Preview is assigned on A7 series to Focus Hold button (WO button of the adapter)
 
Title: Re: Metabones E-mount smart adapter for EF Mark IV reliability poll
Post by: John Hollenberg on September 19, 2015, 10:15:58 am
I would say time to start a new poll specifying firmware 0.43.  I had problems with 0.41 and a7r2, now completely resolved with 0.43 firmware.
Title: Re: Metabones E-mount smart adapter for EF Mark IV reliability poll
Post by: ErikKaffehr on September 19, 2015, 10:55:24 am
Hi,

My problems seem to be more of a hardware problem than a firmware problem.

Best regards
Erik


I would say time to start a new poll specifying firmware 0.43.  I had problems with 0.41 and a7r2, now completely resolved with 0.43 firmware.
Title: Re: Metabones E-mount smart adapter for EF Mark IV reliability poll
Post by: Hywel on September 20, 2015, 05:03:13 am
I thought mine was a hardware not-making-contact problem but the new firmware has completely transformed the situation and it is now working flawlessly even with very old lenses using PDAF very fast, and I've not seen the aperture/lens not making contact problems since I upgraded. OK it has only been 24 hours but I spent all day and night out in the mountains shooting and it genuinely seems to have fixed all the issues I had.

So I'd definitely try the new firmware first and only then start looking to hardware.

  Cheers, Hywel