Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BobDavid on September 16, 2015, 01:10:18 am

Title: My compliments...
Post by: BobDavid on September 16, 2015, 01:10:18 am
Eric, this is an outstanding picture. Very pretty. http://myrvaagnes.com/Samp/smp10.php  I hope you don't mind that I shared it.
Title: Re: My compliments...
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on September 16, 2015, 07:52:36 am
Eric, this is an outstanding picture. Very pretty. http://myrvaagnes.com/Samp/smp10.php  I hope you don't mind that I shared it.

I'm not sure I like it.
Yet, I see something "Pollockish" in it (and it's a compliment).

(probably it's one of those images where the actual size matters, so viewing it bigger may give a much stronger impression)
Title: Re: My compliments...
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 16, 2015, 09:51:56 am
Eric, this is an outstanding picture. Very pretty. http://myrvaagnes.com/Samp/smp10.php  I hope you don't mind that I shared it.
Thanks, Bob. And no, I don't mind at all.

It happens to be a bunch of weedy flowers (unidentified by me) in a local woods, with one sunbeam hitting the middle of the bunch.

Soon after I printed it, I was invited to be part of a two-photographer exhibit at our local TV studios, curated by the studio's director. This was the only one of the photos I submitted that she didn't like at all.

I still like it, but I don't consider it very profound.

And Diego: Thanks for pointing out the "Pollockish" quality it has. I do like Pollock, but I hadn't noticed the connection here until you mentioned it.

-Eric
Title: Re: My compliments...
Post by: RSL on September 16, 2015, 10:28:44 am
I still like it, but I don't consider it very profound.

I like it too, Eric, maybe because I shot one almost identical to it this summer. But "not profound?" It's like sitting there with your legs crossed, chanting "om" for an hour or so. Very profound.
Title: Re: My compliments...
Post by: BobDavid on September 16, 2015, 11:52:14 am
Eric's photo is understated. It is quiet--soothing. I thought of Jackson Pollock too. However, his paintings are frenetic. Eric's picture is serene.
Title: Re: My compliments...
Post by: petermfiore on September 16, 2015, 12:12:12 pm
I paint simply...I find the moments most people pass by profound.

Peter
Title: Re: My compliments...
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 16, 2015, 01:39:27 pm
Thank you all for the kind words.

I think I'll keep it.   ;)

-Eric
Title: Re: My compliments...
Post by: petermfiore on September 16, 2015, 04:19:22 pm
Thank you all for the kind words.

I think I'll keep it.   ;)

-Eric

Hi Eric,

This is the very subject I sleek out for painting. It would led it's self towards a graphic poetry.

Peter
Title: Re: My compliments...
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 16, 2015, 04:38:39 pm
Hi Eric,

This is the very subject I seek out for painting. It would lend it's self towards a graphic poetry.

Peter
I'd love to see a painting you might make derived from my photo, Peter.
If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll send you a higher res version. If you do one, it would be nice if you scanned it and posted it here, as another response.

Eric