Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: marcgoldring on September 12, 2015, 04:12:47 pm

Title: Central Oregon coast
Post by: marcgoldring on September 12, 2015, 04:12:47 pm
We'll be visiting an old friend south of Eugene in early November. I'm unsure whether I'd rather mess about along the coast or toward Willamette National Forest. We spend a lot of time at home visiting Cape Cod so the coast as a strong attraction...but so do woods.

Any thoughts about interesting places along those lines??

Thanks,

Marco
Title: Re: Central Oregon coast
Post by: BradSmith on September 13, 2015, 01:56:43 pm
I'd vote for the coast.  Several years ago I attended a 5 day workshop centered in Coos Bay.  Spent lots of time in: the Oregon Dunes Nat'l Recreation Area stretching from west of Eugene down to Coos Bay; Shore Acres State Park just south of Coos Bay, and the wide beaches with sea stacks in and south of Bandon.   Many, many keepers from those few days.
Brad
Title: Re: Central Oregon coast
Post by: Jglaser757 on September 13, 2015, 09:42:19 pm
I'm not sure how close you will to cape perpetua, but I recommend it. Look up thor's well. It's dangerous but a great shot.
Title: Re: Central Oregon coast
Post by: aderickson on September 13, 2015, 11:06:25 pm
Forty years ago I was a forest ranger at Cape Perpetua. You have both the forest and the spectacular Oregon Coast in one location.

Allan
Title: Re: Central Oregon coast
Post by: Art Kelly on September 14, 2015, 08:33:41 am
The Pacific Coast Highway bridges are interesting:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/GEOENVIRONMENTAL/docs/Historic_Bridge/coastbr.pdf (http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/GEOENVIRONMENTAL/docs/Historic_Bridge/coastbr.pdf)
Title: Re: Central Oregon coast
Post by: fletcherp on September 15, 2015, 06:46:23 pm
A few of my favorites are the Bridge over the River in Newport (along with some funky places in the town), Cape Arago, and Coquille Point in Bandon which has a number of sea stacks.
Title: Re: Central Oregon coast
Post by: marcgoldring on October 26, 2015, 07:09:26 am
Yikes, I was so busy that I forgot I'd posted this question. Apologies for the very late thank you for all your good ideas. Plans haven't completely gelled so it's not too late!

All best,

Marco
Title: Re: Central Oregon coast
Post by: Arlen on October 26, 2015, 01:20:32 pm
The other folks have given you good suggestions if you head over to the coast; I can affirm all of them. In regards to heading the other direction, into the Cascades, a good choice from Eugene would be the "Wild and Scenic"-designated upper McKenzie River, above McKenzie Bridge. A good plan would be to access it from various points along the McKenzie River Trail, which runs close to the river for about 26 miles. Its closest point to Eugene can be reached in about an hour, near the Willamette Forest ranger station.

For instance, check out Sahalie Falls, right off Hwy 126. The falls are spectacular. And from there you can walk a very scenic loop:  follow the path upstream for about 1/4 mile to a footbridge, cross it and then walk downstream on the McKenzie River Trail for about 1 mile, to a bridge spanning the river above Carmen Reservoir. Cross that bridge, and walk up the path on the east side of the river back to Sahalie Falls. I'm confident you won't be disappointed--stunning views of the clear, blue rushing water, seen through old growth rain forest.
Title: Re: Central Oregon coast
Post by: sjprg on December 06, 2015, 03:28:54 pm
Also Silver Falls State Park. About 20 miles east of I-5 between Albany and Salem. 10 major falls along a 7 mile loop path that takes you under several of the major falls. The loop is hikeable if you are in reasonable shape. the hardest part for me was the steps coming up out of the canyon. (about a quarter mile of steps with short trails between them). I'm 81 and made the hike. took about 800 images with my A7R.
Title: Re: Central Oregon coast
Post by: marcgoldring on December 06, 2015, 08:23:35 pm
Thanks, everyone, for great ideas!

Marc
Title: Re: Central Oregon coast
Post by: Jens Peermann on December 17, 2015, 10:17:41 pm
I'd vote for the coast.  Several years ago I attended a 5 day workshop centered in Coos Bay.  Spent lots of time in: the Oregon Dunes Nat'l Recreation Area stretching from west of Eugene down to Coos Bay; Shore Acres State Park just south of Coos Bay, and the wide beaches with sea stacks in and south of Bandon.   Many, many keepers from those few days.
Brad

Sunset Beach, on the way to Shore Acres State Park, has arguably the best tide pools along the Oregon Coast; if you're into that subject.
Title: Re: Central Oregon coast
Post by: muralin on February 15, 2016, 11:25:03 pm
If u r into waterfalls, checkout the Silver Falls State Park!!!