Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Mike Sellers on September 10, 2015, 02:11:27 pm
-
On the same dvd some images open fine but others give the message "wrong type of document". It is a tiff so why won`t it open? Is there any way to retrieve the photo?
Mike
-
It would help to give us a little more information:
1) did you create this DVD, if so how?
2) what computer and OS are you running?
3) what program are you trying to open the files with?
It sounds as though some of the files may be corrupted which is why they won't open.
Alan
-
Created with Photoshop CS6 on Win XP about 9 years ago. I am trying to open with PS CS3 on Win8. What can be done with corrupted files?
-
If they are truly corrupted you are probably out of luck. I assume that you did a bulk transfer of files to the DVD. It may be that the write and burn process somehow went wrong. The problem in creating DVDs is the only way you know that something is wrong is by looking at files after you burn it. A file can have the same exact size but if it isn't faithfully transferred it's toast.
Windows 8 some some alternative image view software. Try to see if you can open various files using one of those programs and see what happens. Just right click on the TIFF file and select open with .... I have 'Paint', 'Windows Photo viewer' and a couple of other programs in addition to PS that will open these images.
I've not had this issue and don't know about possible repair software.
-
I'm slightly confused (it doesn't take a lot these days) CS6 only came out in I think 2012, I'm guessing you mean photoshop 6.0 ? Are the tiffs layered? The other question is can you actually drag the files off the dvd onto say desktop or are they "stuck" on the disk.
If you cant get them off it may be worth trying a different computer, the pc I'm typing this from has a "fussy" dvd reader, it'll open some but not other dvd, yet a different computer in the studio has no problems opening them all.
-
How do you tell if the files are layered? You are right it is PS 6.0. I tried all the Open With options but none of them worked. I tried an XP computer but still wont open.
-
Created with Photoshop CS6 on Win XP about 9 years ago. I am trying to open with PS CS3 on Win8. What can be done with corrupted files?
Hi Mike,
Are you trying to open the file directly from the DVD? If so, try copying it first to your Harddisk, or a memory stick. Maybe the file cannot even be read, due to DVD corruption. There is a lot of error correction going on in the background when reading files from a DVD, and some drives are better at it than others. It also depends on how well the files were written to the DVD in the first place (correct laser power and tracking/timing).
If that's the problem, than you may want to try ISObuster (http://www.isobuster.com/).
If on the other hand the internal file-structure/logic is corrupted, then you would need a program that deals with that aspect. I do not have any recommendations. Usually Photoshop is able to read its own file creations.
To detect file corruption, one can add a checksum file to the data repository and also burn that on the DVD, but I realize that that's nothing more than an afterthought at this moment in time. I occasionally use FileVerifier++ (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fileverifier/) for that purpose, but it doesn't seem to be supported/updated any longer.
Cheers,
Bart
-
Thanks everyone. I tried ISO Buster but they still wouldn`t open-oh well.
-
Not sure what platform you are on but on Windows files with a .tiff extension do not open in photoshop. Try changing it to .tif. One of the programs I use a lot saves files with a .tiff extension and I have to rename them or use "open as."
-
.tiff opens just fine in Photoshop on Windows. Set file associations either in Bridge or the OS.